Menu

Fun, interesting Latin programs?

Greta

I'm at a loss what to do for Latin with my dd. We tried Latin Prep for awhile, and slogged through it very slowly since it was intended for a higher age/grade level than she was at the time (3rd and 4th). This year, I thought we would try a different approach, so we bought Lingua Latina. I loved the idea of the inductive/immersion type approach, but the reality was different. We need more grammar help, more explanations, than that!

So, we might go back to Latin Prep, but I think I would rather get her a more age-appropriate program. Something fun, with plenty of review and reinforcement before adding new concepts. She seems to need LOTS of review and practice to make it "stick". And I need something with plenty of teacher help, because I'm learning this right alongside her (no previous Latin experience).

Any suggestions?

My son NEVER complains about doing Latin and he complains about EVERYTHING!:001_smile:

:D This does make it sound pretty appealing! My daughter is a complainer too. I've finally found math and English that she loves. It would be so fantastic to find a Latin program that she would do without whining!

Thanks so much for mentioning it. I will look into it.

We are enjoying Lively Latin 1 this year.

We are liking Lively Latin also.

Would you have any suggestions for me regarding where in the program we should start? Considering that she has had some Latin, should we skip to Book 2? Are there samples available so that maybe I could try to judge that a little better? I couldn't find any at their website, but maybe I'm missing something obvious.

Cambridge Latin Course is pretty fun and interesting, imo. I just have the texts, but I think there are also wbs, and iirc they have an extensive website with lots of practice for a smallish fee. It's a reading course, so most on the LL than LP side of things, and it moves quite a bit slower than LL. Unit 1, in particular, is quite slow in progression. I use it for reading practice with LL, and I find the stories quite amusing.

I would also recommend Latin for Children. My girls enjoy the DVD, and I have learned Latin right along with them. I like being able to watch a grammar lesson--even though the same information is in the book, I like being taught by a person. It would be difficult to know where to jump in if you have had some Latin. My guess is that you would still want level A even if a lot of it is review. You could skim or cover quickly the topics you have covered before. And if your dd appreciates review, it might work well to just start at the beginning.

Look at samples for any program you are considering. LfC focuses more on grammar and vocabulary. Lively Latin does more history and culture. LfC is ready to go (book and dvd). LL needs to be printed and extras may require using the computer. LfC may be a bit faster--good match for my kid with a good memory. LL has more writing--not so good a match for my kid. Those are the two programs that I looked at closely, so those are the ones I am more familiar with. But if you can get samples for the programs you are interested in, you will be able to make a better guess at what will fit your family best.

We really enjoy Latin for Children.

:iagree: My kids LOVE Latin for Children. The DVDs really make the program fun for us. My kids eat up the silly scenes at the end of every chapter. The activity book gives them lots of practice in the form of games. The history reader hasn't been as big of a win as I thought it would be, but I like it, so we stick with it. I would highly recommend it.

:iagree: My kids LOVE Latin for Children. The DVDs really make the program fun for us. My kids eat up the silly scenes at the end of every chapter. The activity book gives them lots of practice in the form of games. The history reader hasn't been as big of a win as I thought it would be, but I like it, so we stick with it. I would highly recommend it.

Same here, oldest will be starting Latin for Children B after Thanksgiving, I'm excited and can't wait since I'm learning along with him!

Would you have any suggestions for me regarding where in the program we should start? Considering that she has had some Latin, should we skip to Book 2? Are there samples available so that maybe I could try to judge that a little better? I couldn't find any at their website, but maybe I'm missing something obvious.

How far did you get in Latin Prep? I have LL1 and LP1, so if you tell me where you stopped in LP I may be able to figure out if you would be missing anything in Lively Latin 1.

Another vote for Latin for Children. We're doing primer A and really enjoying it. Even my dd, who's dyslexic and shies away from anything new, likes it.

We listen to the new vocabulary & grammar lesson on the DVD on Monday and the rest of the week we listen to all of the vocabulary lessons from previous lessons plus the current one on the audio CD. We usually do the corresponding worksheets Tues-Fri. That way we're reviewing and keeping the vocabulary fresh in our minds.

Lively Latin 1 has been a lot of fun. It moves slowly and steadily. Dd10 enjoys the online games used to review vocab. We are now looking for more "meat" though, and are going to try using Lingua Latina exclusively next year (we have been using it for fun reading practice with no grammar for the past few months). I am getting some of the additonal resources, which I hope will help with understanding the grammar aspects!

Nikki

I love, love, LOVE Latin for Children - I've taught all three levels, and am currently teaching A and C, along with Latin Alive! 1. Easily the best program I've seen - and the kids are doing well with it. I've tried a lot of programs, and this is easily the winner in my book. It's fun, comprehensive, and very user friendly.

How far did you get in Latin Prep? I have LL1 and LP1, so if you tell me where you stopped in LP I may be able to figure out if you would be missing anything in Lively Latin 1.

Not very far. :blushing: We completed workbook A, and of course whatever part of the text that corresponds to. I'm being lazy right now, but I could take a closer look in the morning and let you know.

Thanks so much for the help!

Look at samples for any program you are considering. LfC focuses more on grammar and vocabulary. Lively Latin does more history and culture. LfC is ready to go (book and dvd). LL needs to be printed and extras may require using the computer. LfC may be a bit faster--good match for my kid with a good memory. LL has more writing--not so good a match for my kid. Those are the two programs that I looked at closely, so those are the ones I am more familiar with. But if you can get samples for the programs you are interested in, you will be able to make a better guess at what will fit your family best.

Thank you so much for this comparison! This is very helpful. My dd likes writing, and would love the history and culture as well, so LL sounds good. But I want to make sure that while its fun for her, it's also really solid Latin grammar and vocab, so LfC sounds good too. Decisions, decisions! :)

I love, love, LOVE Latin for Children - I've taught all three levels, and am currently teaching A and C, along with Latin Alive! 1. Easily the best program I've seen - and the kids are doing well with it. I've tried a lot of programs, and this is easily the winner in my book. It's fun, comprehensive, and very user friendly.

Sounds like this is a very good program from all of the posts about it. I'll definitely give it a closer look. Thanks!

May I ask why? I love hearing details, if you don't mind.

When we are using a program, I like to have a general idea of where it is going. I felt like with LL we were instructed to learn this, but had no idea as to why - how it was to be applied to what we were learning long-term. Does that make any since?!

I absolutely love the instructional DVDs that come with LFC. It has been a huge help in learning Latin. I also think that LFC offers more in the way of supplemental activities and materials to reinforce what you are learning. In addition to the activity book, they have flash cards, online games, reading materials, etc. I also like the fact that Classical Academic Press offers more advance Latin materials. I recently purchased Latin Alive, for my own self-study, so that I can stay ahead of my boys and hopefully be a better teacher. Well, that's the plan anyway!

HTH,

Krista

When we are using a program, I like to have a general idea of where it is going. I felt like with LL we were instructed to learn this, but had no idea as to why - how it was to be applied to what we were learning long-term. Does that make any since?!

I absolutely love the instructional DVDs that come with LFC. It has been a huge help in learning Latin. I also think that LFC offers more in the way of supplemental activities and materials to reinforce what you are learning. In addition to the activity book, they have flash cards, online games, reading materials, etc. I also like the fact that Classical Academic Press offers more advance Latin materials. I recently purchased Latin Alive, for my own self-study, so that I can stay ahead of my boys and hopefully be a better teacher. Well, that's the plan anyway!

HTH,

Krista

That does help! Thank you. I do really like the idea of all those supplementary materials. I think that would really help my dd with the amount of review/reinforcement that she needs.

:D This does make it sound pretty appealing! My daughter is a complainer too. I've finally found math and English that she loves. It would be so fantastic to find a Latin program that she would do without whining!

Thanks so much for mentioning it. I will look into it.

Wow, your dd doesn't complain about math...what's your secret. My son doesn't complain about science or history unless it involves writing...but that is about it, everything else complain, complain, complain... If I didn't love him so much I'd pack his lunch and track down that school bus!

I looked at LFC too and it did look like a good program. I think I went with LL because it cost less and I wasn't sure if my son would even like Latin, so I didn't want to invest a ton of money and it be a bust. I know Spanish, so I was torn whether I should do Spanish with them or not. I figured if ds didn't like Latin, I'd just make him struggle through Spanish whether he liked it or not.;)

Wow, your dd doesn't complain about math...what's your secret.

Life of Fred. :D It put an end to the complaining, and made her actually look forward to math every day. We've only been using it for a few weeks now, so fingers crossed that she keeps on loving it!

My son doesn't complain about science or history unless it involves writing...but that is about it, everything else complain, complain, complain... If I didn't love him so much I'd pack his lunch and track down that school bus!

:lol: I have days like this, believe me! We had a meltdown a few weeks ago when I got so tired of the constant whining and arguing that I told her: look, you have to get an education one way or another. If you won't allow me to teach you then I'll have no choice but to start walking you to the school up the block every morning! The thing is, I was so frustrated that I actually meant it. And she knew it. So it worked. No more whining. And we had a real conversation about what was working and what wasn't, and that's when we decided to try out Fred for something different in math. Some things, I told her, she would just have to grin and bear it, because there was no getting out of it. Some things, however, are adjustable.

I would appreciate any advice on where we should start either in Lively Latin or in Latin for Children.

Here is what we covered in Latin Prep:

Present tense of sum

Present tense of regular verbs like amo

First Declension nouns

Second Declension nouns

Prepositions with the ablative

Agreement of nouns and adjectives

Imperfect tense of regular verbs

Imperfect tense of sum

Numbers one through ten

Prepositions with the accusative

Perfect tense of regular verbs

Perfect tense of sum

But I would say that we could *definitely* use review with perfect and imperfect tense. So much that I wouldn't mind covering those again as if it were the first time. Present tense she's definitely got down. First declension she's definitely got down. Second declension could use some review.

Any insights greatly appreciated!

Cambridge Latin Course is pretty fun and interesting, imo. I just have the texts, but I think there are also wbs, and iirc they have an extensive website with lots of practice for a smallish fee. It's a reading course, so most on the LL than LP side of things, and it moves quite a bit slower than LL. Unit 1, in particular, is quite slow in progression. I use it for reading practice with LL, and I find the stories quite amusing.

Thanks for mentioning this. Daughter told me this morning that she really likes the "reading" style of Lingua Latina, it just moves too fast and is too hard for her. So Cambridge might be just the thing. I'm off to take a look at it.

I strongly recommend that you begin at the beginning regardless of which program you choose. If you can fly through the first few chapters, then do that -- don't feel like you need to spend a whole lot of time on stuff you already know -- but it will be good for review, for building confidence, and for introducing the vocabulary that does not overlap.

Personally, I think Lively Latin is a good intro to Latin Prep. I've done Latin Prep 1-3 with my oldest, and my younger one is doing Lively Latin right now. But I don't think you'll be disappointed with either of these programs. Just pick one, start from the beginning, and fly through 'til you get to stuff that's new or challenging. :)

I strongly recommend that you begin at the beginning regardless of which program you choose. If you can fly through the first few chapters, then do that -- don't feel like you need to spend a whole lot of time on stuff you already know -- but it will be good for review, for building confidence, and for introducing the vocabulary that does not overlap.

Personally, I think Lively Latin is a good intro to Latin Prep. I've done Latin Prep 1-3 with my oldest, and my younger one is doing Lively Latin right now. But I don't think you'll be disappointed with either of these programs. Just pick one, start from the beginning, and fly through 'til you get to stuff that's new or challenging. :)

This sounds like good advice. Especially for the reason that I put in bold. I think she needs that right now, after feeling so overwhelmed by Lingua Latina. Thanks!