Menu

If your child is a natural speller (ie. doesn't need to learn rules)...

Halcyon

...do you think simply studying lists of challenging words is sufficient? My son doesn't need or use rules, he simply knows how to spell, but I think I could stump him with words like susceptible, approximately and controversial. biggrin.gif

What do you do, if anything, with your natural speller?

Yes, and I'm using Spelling Power. She gets most of them correct but usually there are 1-3 words per list (out of anywhere from 27-35 total per list) that she misses. Here are some of the ones she's missed on recent lists:

Separate

Benefited

Oxygen

Committee

Necessary

Rhythm

Indispensable

Chauffeur

Possession

Exaggerate

Consensus

Saskatchewan

Tennessee

You could make up your own list of words, but Spelling Power isn't that expensive to buy used (often you can find a copy of the 3rd edition for $25-$30) and then since it's non-consumable you can re-coup much of that cost at re-sale.

I like Sequential Spelling for my natural speller (8 yo ds) :)

It has a list of 25 new words each day as opposed to studying the same list of words for an entire week. The program works on word families, not learning the rules.

They can get pretty challenging. Some words this week (in the 3rd grade level) were..

unleavened

beautiful

handkerchief

inconceivable

preconception

perceived

mischievous

acheivement

Yes, and I'm using Spelling Power.

You could make up your own list of words, but Spelling Power isn't that expensive to buy used (often you can find a copy of the 3rd edition for $25-$30) and then since it's non-consumable you can re-coup much of that cost at re-sale.

:iagree: This is what's working for my 8 year old natural speller. We'll see how it goes long term, but it's working well this year and we got it cheap. (Although he's spelling on a 5th+ grade level today he couldn't remember how to spell "does". Guess I'm not the only one losing my mind around here. :glare: )

Yes, and I'm using Spelling Power. She gets most of them correct but usually there are 1-3 words per list (out of anywhere from 27-35 total per list) that she misses. Here are some of the ones she's missed on recent lists:

Separate

Benefited

Oxygen

Committee

Necessary

Rhythm

Indispensable

Chauffeur

Possession

Exaggerate

Consensus

Saskatchewan

Tennessee

Which level of Spelling Power are you using? Or is it one book that can be used for multiple levels (and multiple kids!)

Those would be great words for my 8 yo (he's using Megawords now, but it's too easy..maybe just go up a level? Words we studied today included muscle, wrestle, volume and continuum, to give you an idea of the level).

We have Spelling Workout B for my 5 yo and I was thinking of using that (maybe E?) for my 8 yo , but I think it's too much busywork.

Edited by Halcyon

I have her review words that I see her spell wrong in her writing, for the most part. On a given week, I'll jot down words I see she spells wrong in her writing assignments, and the next week, those are her spelling words, which she'll review in various (usually fun/creative type of) ways, and at the end of the week, she'll get a quiz on them (she pretty much always gets them all right).

That's really all we do for spelling.

We are taking a break from spelling right now, but in the past I have used Natural Speller by Kathryn Stout. It has word lists for grades 1 through 8. I would give ds ten or so words a day to write on a white board. Any he got incorrect we would review at the end of the week. Any of those he continued to misspell would go on a list that we would review more frequently.

So far so good with that strategy. :)

Which level of Spelling Power are you using?

Those words are from levels G & H (SP goes up through Level K). My DD placed into G when gave the placement tests at the beginning of this school year, but I decided to back up a bit and do selected lists from E & F that I felt would be beneficial.

ETA: All the levels of Spelling Power (A-K) are in a single non-consumable book.

Those words are from levels G & H (SP goes up through Level K). My DD placed into G when gave the placement tests at the beginning of this school year, but I decided to back up a bit and do selected lists from E & F that I felt would be beneficial.

ETA: All the levels of Spelling Power (A-K) are in a single non-consumable book.

Thanks! I just remembered I have McGuffey's Eclectic Spelling Book (stuck it on a shelf it seems, and forgot about it LOL). I don't know why we didn't continue using this, but I think I remember wanting to try out MW for a while. Anyway, the lists in it are pretty fun. My eldest got up to list 35 before we put it aside, and it has words like increment, timorous, negligent and adamant. I think it will work as a great vocab course too! I might just use this for a bit and see how it goes. But I do like your word list from Spelling Power!

Edited by Halcyon

First, I give her that day's test. That takes maybe 10-15 minutes depending on exact # of words, how many of them she finds challenging, and how long it takes her to physically write them down (she's still a bit of a reluctant writer). After the test, we review the ones she missed & I have her write out the correct spellings. Sometimes I have her do activities on Spellingcity.com with the words from the list plus review words that she's missed in the past. But most of the time she really only needs to have her mistakes pointed out to her in order to learn the correct spellings (i.e. "benefited only has 1 't' rather than 2").

It is somewhat teacher-intensive but it doesn't take that long out of my day (typically 15-20 minutes). And compared to some of the other teacher-intensive programs I am using or have used in the past (Right Start Math, All About Spelling, MCT) it really isn't bad at all.

First, I give her that day's test. That takes maybe 10-15 minutes depending on exact # of words, how many of them she finds challenging, and how long it takes her to physically write them down (she's still a bit of a reluctant writer). After the test, we review the ones she missed & I have her write out the correct spellings. Sometimes I have her do activities on Spellingcity.com with the words from the list plus review words that she's missed in the past. But most of the time she really only needs to have her mistakes pointed out to her in order to learn the correct spellings (i.e. "benefited only has 1 't' rather than 2").

It is somewhat teacher-intensive but it doesn't take that long out of my day (typically 15-20 minutes). And compared to some of the other teacher-intensive programs I am using or have used in the past (Right Start Math, All About Spelling, MCT) it really isn't bad at all.

So there arent any "extra' exercises? My son sounds like your daughter--just needs the errors pointed out to him, and then he won't make the mistake again. I don't see him needing drills, worksheets etc. And what does the CD contain, if I may ask? I see some for sale that don't include the CD, and I'm wondering if that's absolutely needed. Thank you for your patient answers.

Things to do with a spelling list:

alphabetize the words

divide them into syllables

write the etymologies

write other words with the same etymologies

add prefixes or suffixes

write synonyms, antonyms, or homonyms

use them in sentences, for each definition if there's more than one

There's more to spelling than just getting the words right. :)

That's what I did with mine. I just pulled spelling lists off the internet, let them test out of the ones they knew and had them work on any difficulties. Once you get past a certain stage, the words that cause difficulties can't be attacked by rules anyway ('accommodation'? 'immiscible'?)

Laura

Thanks. So he eventually just learned to spell more challenging words like the ones I listed, just from exposure and reading?

Yep. Excellent spelling. Our younger two did not get wired that way. But, he did.

We did do some (but really not much) vocabulary work. He also instinctively picks up on most new words he reads and since he reads so widely, his vocabulary is extensive. He is now a seventh grader at a Jesuit middle school, taking ninth grade honors English and ace-ing his vocabulary tests. Skipping spelling and vocabulary instruction doesn't seem to have damaged him:). YMMV

I did start out doing spelling and then a vocabulary program with him. When it seemed like a waste of time, we focused on writing during the time we would have otherwise been doing spelling/vocabulary. Now, that instruction was not a waste of time....

Edited by debbielong
more to say

alphabetize the words

write the etymologies

add prefixes or suffixes

Thanks for these ideas!

alphabetize the words

write the etymologies

add prefixes or suffixes

Great ideas. We use the words for vocabulary work, alphabetizing and other stuff-these are great ideas-thanks! Does Spelling Power come with ideas/activities like these?

I mostly skip "spelling" as a subject with my kids. At times we've done Spelling Power (easy to adjust to their level) or studied challenging spelling words prior to spelling bee. But for the most part, they spell well with or without specific spelling instruction, so I find our time better spent doing other things.

I tried Sequential Spelling with one of my kids. Waaaay overkill for a natural speller. Spelling Workout just turned out to be almost pure busy work (though I did think the editing exercises were worthwhile). None of these seemed to make any significant difference in my kids' ability to spell. I correct the occasional mistakes in their writing. They study Latin. The older one studies Greek as well. At times we work on challenging vocabulary. But not "spelling".

Do you think, in my case, using the 3rd edition would be fine? I can find it a lot cheaper (without CD, of course). Thanks for opinions.

I was told in a similar thread that SP used, without CD would be fine. I ended up going with R&S only because I wanted something cheap and independent. I think SP or Natural Speller are both good ways to go for kids like this. I think no spelling would be fine too but I am too much of a box checker for that.

...do you think simply studying lists of challenging words is sufficient? My son doesn't need or use rules, he simply knows how to spell, but I think I could stump him with words like susceptible, approximately and controversial. biggrin.gif

What do you do, if anything, with your natural speller?

Spelling Power was the perfect fit for my natural speller. That way she only had to study words she got wrong, which meant very little studying at all. I gave her the diagnostic tests first to place her at the right level. We didn't buy a CD with it, and I'm not sure if there was a CD back then or not (about 6 years ago).

Can I bump this up and ask a question?

WHEN do you know that your kiddo is a natural speller? What are the signs? Did you have a party when you realized you wouldn't have to teach spelling?:D:D

:D If your kiddo is a natural speller do you take time to teach other skills that go along with a spelling curriculum? I'm thinking along the lines of roots, dictionary skills, etc. Perhaps some of this is picked up if you study Latin or Greek.

With my two, as soon as they were reading they could pretty much spell the words that they had read. Their spelling was immediately ahead of grade level. They've each used general LA programmes which touched on dictionary skills and word roots, but they also learned Latin and (in Hobbes' case) Greek.

Laura

I really do not like spelling rules. I personally think that they confuse the child. I did not use a spelling curriculum. I used the Latin words and their derivatives to teach my son spelling.

I hate the rules for the simple reason that in the English language, there is always and exception to the rule. Usually the child makes a mistake with the exception, if you notice.

I would focus on the word origin, just like in a Spelling Bee. That's what helps a child to spell better. Like the word, chaffeur, if the child knows it is a French word, they right away know that "ch" in French makes a "sh" sound.

Just a thought!

Blessings in your homeschooling journey!

Sincerely,

Karen

http://www.homeschoolblogger.com/testimony

WHEN do you know that your kiddo is a natural speller? What are the signs? Did you have a party when you realized you wouldn't have to teach spelling?:D:D

Neither of my kids could spell well *immediately* on learning to read. They both spelled very phonetically (in terms of what they *heard*) and often quite creatively. Both were relatively early readers, the first reading fluently at 3, the second fluently at 5. For each of them, spelling well seemed to kick in right at 2 years after they started reading fluently (I'm thinking of reading a simple chapter book smoothly, with expression -- they seemed to need about two years from that point for spelling to "kick in"). Suddenly they could spell correctly on a consistent basis. If they misspelled a word, I could correct them, perhaps have them look at how it was constructed (syllables, word "chunks", reminding them of a "rule" or pattern), write it once or twice, and they would remember from then on. ... I didn't drop spelling immediately for either child -- but it became evident quite quickly after that that I could bump up their spelling level by 3-4 grades (or more) and they would still find the level of work quite easy and only miss a word occasionally on a pre-test (and almost never after studying the words even briefly).

And perhaps not a "party", but certainly I've found many other things to fill our time. :)

If your kiddo is a natural speller do you take time to teach other skills that go along with a spelling curriculum? I'm thinking along the lines of roots, dictionary skills, etc. Perhaps some of this is picked up if you study Latin or Greek.

I've never quite understood why a child would need a workbook or program to cover "dictionary skills". Can't they all learn to use a dictionary in 5 minutes of instruction here or there, and then practice using a dictionary as it comes up?

Roots aren't a concern for me. We're committed to studying Latin and Greek in our home school, so word origins are a fact of life around here. We do encounter challenging vocabulary on a daily basis through various studies. I have used, on occasion, Wordly Wise or MCT vocabulary materials. I don't think these are strictly necessary as "programs" though, if a child is learning Latin and Greek and reading challenging "real" literature, using a dictionary, etc...

Can I bump this up and ask a question?

:D If your kiddo is a natural speller do you take time to teach other skills that go along with a spelling curriculum? I'm thinking along the lines of roots, dictionary skills, etc. Perhaps some of this is picked up if you study Latin or Greek.

My eldest learned to read with phonics, so started spelling phonetically, but as she started reading more she knew how to spell most words without studying them, so I realized that she's a natural speller. My younger two also started to spell phonetically (NOT something I endorse) but have had trouble remembering how to spell words because even after studying them they will regress to their version of phonetic spelling. My 12 you has moved past this, but not my 10 yo. My 12 yo had to work at spelling and my ds needs to but couldn't care less about it most of the time.

WHEN do you know that your kiddo is a natural speller? What are the signs?

My kiddo who is the "natural speller" is a voracious reader and has been since age 3. I decided to take a "wait and see" approach with spelling since every time I gave her the Schonell test, she always scored well above grade level.

Shortly prior this school year (3rd), I bought DD an academic planner that included spelling one of the pre-printed subject listings. She then asked to do spelling & I decided that it was time to start a formal program. Originally I was planning to give Megawords a try but then a lady in my support group very generously gave me her old copy of Spelling Power. That turned out to be a good fit for her.

If your kiddo is a natural speller do you take time to teach other skills that go along with a spelling curriculum? I'm thinking along the lines of roots, dictionary skills, etc. Perhaps some of this is picked up if you study Latin or Greek.

She hasn't started Latin yet (right now the plan is to solidify her English grammar knowledge and then use Latin Road as a "kill 2 birds with 1 stone" thing). We do study word roots using a combination of MCT's Caesar's English and Prufrock Press' Red Hot Root Words workbook.