Menu

Persimmons and collard greens

What do I do with them? These are the items from this week's co-op basket that I have never had before. Well, I've had collard greens, but I've never cooked them myself. Seems like they were boiled to within an inch of their life when I was served them and I didn't like them much. I've never even tasted persimmon, to my knowledge.

What do I do with them? These are the items from this week's co-op basket that I have never had before. Well, I've had collard greens, but I've never cooked them myself. Seems like they were boiled to within an inch of their life when I was served them and I didn't like them much. I've never even tasted persimmon, to my knowledge.

Are the persimmons the kind that are shaped like tomatoes--kind of squat? If so, you can cut them in wedges and eat the flesh off the skins. They are very tasty, and healthy as well. If they are the kind that are shaped like acorns, they have a horrible astringent flavor until they are so soft that they feel rotten. I don't know whether they ripen off the tree or not as I have never bought that kind, but I assume that they do or else they are just for decoration.

I braise tough greens like this: I wash them very thoroughly and slice them across the grain so they won't be stringy. Then I saute them in olive oil with a little lemon juice, chopped shallots or garlic, a little salt, and often oregano or lavender, until they change to a dark color, and then pour in some water, cover, and steam for another couple of minutes. They are pretty good this way! A small handful of pinenut added right before serving make a nice garnish.

It depends on the type of persimmon it is.

Fuju are smaller and squat. They can be eaten just like an apple. My kids love them.

Hachiya persimmons really need to be cooked in something. They make wonderful cookies, quick breads, etc. Let them ripen fully (soft) or freeze and thaw before trying to cook with them. You want them almost liquefied when adding to recipes.

Google. You'll find tons of recipes.

Collard greens. I just wash carefully, discard the stems, chop up the leaves and stir-fry or add to soups. I don't cook them to death.

Hachiya persimmons are inedible unless they are VERY ripe. A mushy, pudding like consistency! We have Persimmion tree, and they are not ready to eat until they are what most people would as far gone. They have a texture of an orange, but more of apircoty flavor, maybe mango. You don't eat the skin. and really are not in way ready to eat until they are mushy, mushy, mushy.

Edited by Hathersage
Had to edit that I am referring only to Hachiya type

persimmons are inedible unless they are VERY ripe. A mushy, pudding like consistency! We have Persimmion tree, and they are not ready to eat until they are what most people would as far gone. They have a texture of an orange, but more of apircoty flavor, maybe mango. You don't eat the skin. and really are not in way ready to eat until they are mushy, mushy, mushy.

This is true only of the Hachiya persimmons. Make sure you don't wait that long if you have Fuyu. LOL.

Seriously, google the above and you'll find pictures that will help you identify your persimmon. Their shapes are very different.

This is true only of the Hachiya persimmons. Make sure you don't wait that long if you have Fuyu. LOL.

Seriously, google the above and you'll find pictures that will help you identify your persimmon. Their shapes are very different.

I was going to edit my response. Hachiya are also called American persimmons.

I ate what I thought was a ripe Hachiya, and Ewwwwwww!!!! I thought that if the flies were buzzing around them they were too far gone, but apparently that is when they are ripe. LOL.

Do they taste similar though?

Hey, I think we get the same box. Abundant Harvest?

Anyway, I got BOTH types of persimmons. The smaller squatter ones are edible just as they are. Wash them, cut them up, and go for it.

The others you'll have to wait to ripen and use in cooking (some like them raw but no one here does).

They have little stickers on them that say Fuyu. They look not quite ripe to me...orange, but not intensely so? I may gather my courage for a couple of days...lol.

Ours is called Bountiful Baskets, and we only got the one kind of persimmon. That's funny, though, that we got the same stuff.

ETA: Thanks for the info, all!

Collard greens...yummy....

Break off the thick tough ends, wash them and then break into pieces. A huge bag full steams down into less than half the size. Steam them like you would fresh spinach, and throw in some onions, and bacon, or salted pork. You can also add stewed tomatoes and a bit of vinegar, depending on how you like them. The pot juice, otherwise known as pot liquor is the best part for me. But of course I was raised on eating them, so who knows. :tongue_smilie:

We have so many persimmons now. The fuyu (hard ones) are yummy peeled and quartered. We eat them like apples. Yummy! My mom made a tart the other day out of them - make it like an apple tart, she put a little apricot jelly on the crust, sliced persimmons and some cinnamon. Very good. Can't help you on the collards.

Hey I use Bountiful Baskets too. Not sure what I'm doing with mine yet. I have a neighbor from the south who is dying to get her hands on my collard greens so I may just let her have them.

No kiddin'? Looks like we're in the same state, I wonder what the odds of having the same pick-up location might be. Maybe we saw each other at the crack of dawn this morning and didn't even know it.

Guest mrsjamiesouth

I am glad you posted this! :001_smile:I have a persimmon tree, they are the bitter kind though. There has been great advice here as I have wondered if I could do something with them.

Do a search for collard greens as I just wrote a thread asking for recipes.

I am glad you posted this! :001_smile:I have a persimmon tree, they are the bitter kind though. There has been great advice here as I have wondered if I could do something with them.

Do a search for collard greens as I just wrote a thread asking for recipes.

If they are bitter, you just haven't let them ripen enough yet! If they are the kind that are pointy on the bottom, you need to eat them after the insides have turned into gel.

An unripe persimmon is a terrible thing! But they are amazing when ripe!

I love persimmons- both kinds. When I was in CA I would get the astringent kind, cut the top off when it was very soft, and scoop out the insides with a spoon! YUM. They also makes a great dressing over a fruit salad.

Fuyu kind- I just bought a 10lb bag the other day and my kids and I were fighting over who got to eat them! I probably ate 10 in one day. Peel, and munch away. I made oatmeal and diced one over the oatmeal. My kids were in heaven.

Collards- add to soup or in any place kale is called for, make green smoothies.