Menu

Starting later in the day

I don't think I would call myself a morning person, but I feel more satisfied with my productivity level if I get a semi-early start on the day. My daughter takes a long time to fully wake up. I've been viewing this as something she needs to get over. The early bird catches the worm and all that. Over the last week and a half I've taken to letting her sleep as late as she likes, which is around 8:30 til 9:00 am. I have been using that pre-wakeup time to do my chores and mess around online. Then we take a very leisurely breakfast and time to get dressed and ready, followed by her riding her bike while I walk the dog. Then we come home and dilly dally around for a little longer before starting school work. We've been starting around 11 am.

I feel like this is a bad idea because I think it's seems undisciplined. I don't want to do them a disservice by not teaching them to instill what I consider a good habit, waking up early and being productive. On the other hand, since starting this new routine both my kids have been more cheerful and dedicated while they're doing their work. We're still able to get everything done by the time their ps friends are home and done with their homework even with the late start. And that is following TWTM guidelines for home educating a 6th and 4th grader. They want to move along and stay on task, so everything gets done faster. There have been a few times where we caught up on a little bit in the evening, but mostly they've been efficient. This just seems to work better for them, especially my daughter. Also, in the past where I have felt frazzled at the end of the day after a long day of school and cooking and cleaning, lately I have felt lighter and happier. I actually want to do fun things like go to the park and mess around with projects and have friends over. It's nice to get to the end of "schooltime" and know I've already done laundry and housecleaning. I've usually started dinner somewhere in there unless I have something really simple planned.

As I'm writing this it sounds great, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm encouraging laziness by allowing this slow morning routine. Please give me your honest opinion on the matter.

I think what you are doing is just fine! Waking up early in modern society is not be necessary like it was before electricity.;)

If your dc end up with jobs that work in the evenings or at night, learning a good habit of getting up early will not be productive.

We live in a 24/7 society. If it is working for you and is not harmful to anyone, then start school at 11am!

I'm finding the very same to be true in our home. I would love to get up early. I'm just not a morning person. The more I fought that, the more stressed I felt. Our day didn't flow and our joy was out the window. The more I allow our natural routine to take place, the more our day flows well. Whether we do our work in the morning or any other time during the day does not matter. If you are like me, it's this feeling that you are the only one with a non-morning school routine. I know we are not the only ones!!

It sounded clear to me which routine/schedule brought you peace. From experience, if you are feeling peace it's the right routine for you. I don't believe that you are encouraging laziness at all . If you are, then I am:glare: :001_smile:

I think what you are doing is just fine! Waking up early in modern society is not be necessary like it was before electricity.;)

If your dc end up with jobs that work in the evenings or at night, learning a good habit of getting up early will not be productive.

We live in a 24/7 society. If it is working for you and is not harmful to anyone, then start school at 11am!

:iagree:

i HATE early mornings and so does my whole family.

two years ago my Dd 15 decided she wanted to take a class at the county tech school and we supported her in that decision-even if it meant switching around the whole family routine.

So, we all went from waking up around 8:30 (even Dh) to waking up at 6:30 so he could take her into school (she is VERY sensitive to scents and motion so the bus was a NOGO) which was right by work.

Neither he nor I have been as productive since and we can't WAIT until next year and she goes in for her classes during the second half of the day. He would work from 10 am till about 11-12 pm-even longer as he hits his stride around 1 am. I do my best work between 10 pm and 1 am also. Even SHE is having trouble as she likes to work the hours we do and just physically can't-we all can't! We've muddled through, but it hasn't been stellar, that's for sure. School work seems to never flow. I mean, we get it done, but that smooth flow of the day is just gone because we're all trudging through this.

So, work when you want to. ;)

You have to do what works for you and yours.

We just recently started about the same schedule as you...around 11 we start. We were firmly starting at 9....but it seemed no matter what, everyone was yawning in my face! So now, I let them sleep to 8:30 or 9:00....I get up earlier and at least get to clean up in the kitchen, laundry started, and let's not forget showering! We all feel like we have some time before school and it works out sooooo much better (and we are much more relaxed!).

Our schedule is completely like I thought it WOULDN'T be :lol:

We are not morning people. We start school at 10am, at least in theory. Lately it's been more like 10:30, the latest 11. When ds was younger one year we did start at 11:30. When school was only taking a few hours why not. Now, at this grade level school takes longer so we start earlier. We spent 30-45 at the start of the day on a read-aloud, it's a great way to start the day.

We are not morning people, we grumble in the morning. Not every job requires early morning and if they do, they will learn to use an alarm clock.

I had the same concerns - but this year I decided to not sweat it and worry that our "routine" wasn't a typical school/work schedule. My kids are getting their work done and still having time to pursue extra-curricular interest and they are happier because mom isn't worried about the clock and getting everyone up. I take the morning time to do household things, baking, or run a quick errand. I just don't know why it took me until the 10th year of hsing to figure this out!

I don't think I would call myself a morning person, but I feel more satisfied with my productivity level if I get a semi-early start on the day. My daughter takes a long time to fully wake up. I've been viewing this as something she needs to get over. The early bird catches the worm and all that. Over the last week and a half I've taken to letting her sleep as late as she likes, which is around 8:30 til 9:00 am. I have been using that pre-wakeup time to do my chores and mess around online. Then we take a very leisurely breakfast and time to get dressed and ready, followed by her riding her bike while I walk the dog. Then we come home and dilly dally around for a little longer before starting school work. We've been starting around 11 am.

I feel like this is a bad idea because I think it's seems undisciplined. I don't want to do them a disservice by not teaching them to instill what I consider a good habit, waking up early and being productive. On the other hand, since starting this new routine both my kids have been more cheerful and dedicated while they're doing their work. We're still able to get everything done by the time their ps friends are home and done with their homework even with the late start. And that is following TWTM guidelines for home educating a 6th and 4th grader. They want to move along and stay on task, so everything gets done faster. There have been a few times where we caught up on a little bit in the evening, but mostly they've been efficient. This just seems to work better for them, especially my daughter. Also, in the past where I have felt frazzled at the end of the day after a long day of school and cooking and cleaning, lately I have felt lighter and happier. I actually want to do fun things like go to the park and mess around with projects and have friends over. It's nice to get to the end of "schooltime" and know I've already done laundry and housecleaning. I've usually started dinner somewhere in there unless I have something really simple planned.

As I'm writing this it sounds great, but I can't shake the feeling that I'm encouraging laziness by allowing this slow morning routine. Please give me your honest opinion on the matter.

None of us are morning people here. The entire 5 years I homeschooled my dd we never started seatwork before 10am. It was usually 11 or 12, actually. It had absolutely no effect on her getting up very early when she needs to. She would have to be up at 5:30 or 6am for dance competitions or other performances and did so cheerfully. She is now in one of the top high schools in the country and gets up at 6 every day, no problem. I think she's one of the most disciplined people I know.

From what you say, it's working out wonderfully for you and your family. It did for us, too. Ds and I don't start til almost 11am. I also love having all the morning housework behind me so I can just enjoy the day.

I think that allowing kids to follow their body's own clock is the best thing. It's not lazy or undisciplined, it's just another awesome perk of homeschooling.

I AM a morning person and I dont do what you are doing...I force my poor kids to start early. Dd16 now says she IS a morning person (and she definitely didnt use to be) because she exercises with a friend and has to be up by 7am to do that. So, the motivation is there for her to get up early...it's not just for school. She also has a coffee in the mornings and that helps.

However, if *I* wasnt a morning person, if it worked better for *me*, I wouldnt hesitate to change our schedule to whatever works. I think what you are doing is great because it is honoroung yourself and your fmailys' natural rythmns, and I think that teaching our kids to take care of themselves and do what works for themselves is also valuable. How hard is it to learn to wake up at 6am if a job you want insists that you do? Do you really need a whole childhood of practice to be able to do that? I don't think so.

I start early because I wake early and by 1pm I am done. If my own inner clock worked differently, so would our school day.

My kids don't wake up very early, either. Well- my oldest goes to school so I have to get up at 7 and get her up and out the door. Then the younger two don't get up til anywhere from 8:30-9:30 most of the time.

I love that time... that's MY time of day, to sit with my coffee, sit at my computer, relax, wake up, maybe start laundry, answer emails, update my blog and so on and so forth.

If my daughter's not up by like 9:30, I'll get her up, she'll have breakfast, and we'll start the day (usually) with me reading to her while she eats breakfast, and then after that we start our regular schoolwork, often around 10 or 10:30.

Sometimes we have somewhere to go in the morning or something to do and it ends up being later.

You're starting with breakfast and exercise, which sounds great.

I don't think there's anything wrong with your routine. It works for you guys, and that's one of the perks of homeschooling. I don't think you're doing them a disservice, I think that "waking up early and being productive" is something that will automatically come with age and out of necessity depending on what direction they take their lives in (college, jobs, whatever).

They'll find out what they want to do, and they'll do what it takes to make that happen, because they'll be old/mature enough to do so, and self-motivated. And they'll probably even get themselves an alarm clock lol. Trust me, they're NOT going to grow up and go "man, I really want that job, but I'm so used to not starting work until 11 my whole life, so nope, I'm not going to take it!" You know what I mean? :D

Relax. Do what works for you now.