Menu

Boy, do I need some math advice!

amandajh

This may get long.....

We have tried Abeka math (too fast paced and too many things to buy to make it work), Saxon (liked the scripted teacher's manuals, but too much stuff to do in one day), Singapore (too abstract for my dc and not enough help for me as the teacher), MUS (beginning to see that we are not reviewing enough and having trouble with all the little "tricks" he uses to find the answers. I know they are way behind in math. DD age 10 is in Gamma, DS age 8 in STILL in Alpha. If we "take our time and MASTER each lesson, it takes forever and then when a review problem from 3 lessons back shows up, both kids can't remember how to get the answer. They have been using the "tricks" and not really memorizing the answers.)Btw, we did not try all of these in one year. My oldest has used all of the above and is in the 4th grade this year. My youngest has only used Saxon and MUS. He is in the 3rd grade this year.

I want a math program for my 3rd an 4th graders that is thorough, no huge gaps. Scheduled drills and help with explaining harder concepts for the teacher. I am not a confident math teacher so I liked the dvds for MUS. However, I am not happy with our results. I feel like we are spending all our time doing what most programs do for daily drill practice that is "on the side". I am also a little stressed about the fact that they will be so behind in other programs and I don't really know how to catch them up. If we take a placement test and the need to be a level or 2 below their grade level, how do you ever catch them up?

I have looked at Math Mammoth, CLE, and Rod & Staff. I know everyone has a different opinion, but which of these (or something else) would fit what I am looking for?

Thanks,

Amanda

If you didn't like Saxon, you probably won't like CLE, because they are similar. OTOH- if you just used Saxon K-3, you may like CLE/ Saxon 54-87. I would never use Saxon K-3, but I really like 54-87.

As I understand it, Math Mammoth, while it will not have jumps and leaps like Singapore, still will have the same feel (same Asian math/ conceptual math)as Singapore.

You want them to have review and drill and you don't want anything that is primarily conceptual in focus. I have never been interested enough in R&S math to do more than glance at the reviews here. However, the other two you suggested may not be what you are looking for the reasons I stated.

Cathy Duffy's review of R&S on their website says,

"Rod and Staff's math program is black-and-white, straightforward, no-nonsense, traditional mathematics with an emphasis on drill and memorization as well as practical application through word problems. Previously taught concepts are continuously reviewed."

This sounds like what you want. If so and you get it, my suggestion would be to stick with it. Unless you use a program for at least a couple of years, you will not see the results from it.

HTH-

Mandy

Modern Curriculum Press is touted/praised for the things you say you're looking for. You can get them (and teacher's manuals) from amazon and from pearsonschool.com and I've seen them on ebay. See one review here:

www.cathyduffyreviews.com/math/mcp-math.htm

MCP doesn't contain much if anything in the way of reivew. If that is a problem with MUS, it will definitely be a problem with MCP.

Mandy

I don't really have any suggestions on which curriculum would be good for you, but I'd like to share what I'm doing as far as going back and getting a student caught up. I'm teaching a friend's dd this year in addition to my own and she is woefully behind in math. She's 6th grade age and I have her working in the 2nd grade Math Mammoth light blue series to get her basics up to speed (she really struggled with the 3rd grade end of year test). We're basically working through the chapters where she seemed to struggle the most and leaving out concepts that are covered again in later years. Since the begining of Sept, we've worked through almost 4 whole chapters and will only need to do 2 more chapters in the 2nd grade level before we move on to 3rd. This is even with missing more than 2 weeks due to family emergencies and illnesses. We should be able to finish what we need for basically 2 1/2 yrs of math before the end of the year. I know it won't get her caught up to where she needs to be, but it's definitely an improvement. Her mom can already tell a difference and is pleased with her progress.

Print out the MM samples and give them a try. There are several pages of samples so you can see how it works. It's similar to Singapore in method, but the teaching is all in the student text, so it's VERY easy to teach, IMO. The explanations are excellent. They do throw in review here and there, but it's still mastery. I've been really happy with it this year. Do a placement test to make sure your kids are in the right levels though (with any program), especially since they're behind in some areas.

Guest mrsjamiesouth
If you didn't like Saxon, you probably won't like CLE, because they are similar. OTOH- if you just used Saxon K-3, you may like CLE/ Saxon 54-87. I would never use Saxon K-3, but I really like 54-87.

As I understand it, Math Mammoth, while it will not have jumps and leaps like Singapore, still will have the same feel (same Asian math/ conceptual math)as Singapore. Mandy

:iagree: Last year I did Saxon 1 with younger ds and Saxon 5/4 with older son. My oldest really does well with Saxon 5/4 and it is a lot different from the younger Saxon books.

My ds6 is using CLE and some MM. MM is really similar to Singapore and there is very little help for a teacher who doesn't know math.

You could look at CLE, there is a lot of review and help for the teacher but it is not as much as the younger Saxon grades.

My dd is one person who didn't do well with Saxon but absolutely loves CLE, but we disliked Saxon for a different reason than you. I don't know anything about Math Mammoth, but I would highly recommend R&S for what you need. It focuses on one topic at a time, but is still heavy on review each day. Usually the new material is one page, and the review is part or all of another page. From 3rd grade up, it is a non-consumable textbook, and this makes it very easy to pick and choose which problems to use if you feel your child doesn't need it all. You can go to http://www.rodandstaffbooks.com (which is run by Milestone Ministries NOT R&S), click on curriculum, follow through to the math, and see some actual samples as well as the table of contents for each book.

I like the suggestions every one has on here. Also consider Rightstart Math. It has a good combination of drill and review. Each lesson reviews concepts from the previous lesson and the curriculum is written to the teacher (lots of hand holding).

http://www.alabacus.com/

Another one to consider is Mastering Mathematics. There are several workbooks that are topical (kind of like MathUSee), however, it is very bare bones without all the tricks in the daily worksheets. There is a teacher's manual (a ton of information in this) that has helps and different ways to teach concepts and it has placement tests and suggestions for how to implement the program and get the child on grade level.

Basically the main focus on the curriculum is drill and review. However, it also has games and other ideas that you can implement, but that is up to you.

http://masterypublications.com/Math.htm

Here is a sampler of what some of the pages look like: http://masterypublications.com/sampler.pdf

I think you should also consider Math Mammoth, Rod and Staff, and Saxon like others mentioned here. I would just look at the samples and see which one appeals to you more.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Gonna stick it out with MUS and add more drill using their website.

I also want to add some time, money, temperature, graph, etc. work once a week.

Any ideas for good, free, online worksheets for this?

I apologize for any redundancy or unwanted advice as I haven't had a chance to read through all the posts. For extra practice with MUS I love the MM Blue Series worktexts since they are organized by topic.

I apologize for any redundancy or unwanted advice as I haven't had a chance to read through all the posts. For extra practice with MUS I love the MM Blue Series worktexts since they are organized by topic.

Are there free things on the MM site? I thought that you had to buy the texts. I would rather not have to spend much more money on curric. this year, if possible.

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Are there free things on the MM site? I thought that you had to buy the texts. I would rather not have to spend much more money on curric. this year, if possible.

I don't think in the quantity you will be looking for. If you buy just a few of the worktexts individually it wouldn't cost much.

Teaching Textbooks is easy to use and reviews basic stuff every lesson. Kids love it!

:iagree: I have to sing the praises of TT with my ds(9). I got TT5 for him when he was in 3rd grade. We do maybe 3-4 lessons a week and plan on using it til the end of 4th grade. Then we'll do TT7 from 5th grade to the end of 6th. For him, it's a perfect amount of review without being too "drill-ish". He prefers only the big workbook, though. I don't think he likes the slower pace of the CDs. Based on how you described things, TT sounds like it would work. :001_smile:

Are there any of you who have used Math U See all the way through at least jr. high?

I am having issues with the scope and sequence, I guess you could say. I realized when we started using this that some concepts would be delayed and I was not that bothered by that. However, right now my 3rd grader cannot count money, measure with inches and centimeters, or correctly tell temperature. He scored on the 1st grade level on the A.C.E. diagnostic test that I gave him online this morning. My 4th grader, which I was not that worried about, passed only half of the 3rd grade level.

After thinking I would just stick it out with MUS, I now am 2nd guessing myself. I know people say that once they finish about 6th grade that they will have learned all the math concepts that all other programs teach, but I'm just not very comfortable waiting.

I also do not want to have to make up my own stuff to fill in any gaps that bother me, like money or time or whatever. If I am buying a math program to teach math, I want it to have what I need. I don't mind practice or drill, but I don't want to find something else to try and teach money, graphs, time, temperature, etc.

I am seriously thinking about using Christian Light for math.

When I first tried CLE, I called them up and requested one free light unit after looking very carefully at the scope and sequence charts that are available on their website. You could have your dc try the free diagnostic test (that might be better for you since MUS has such a different scope and sequence) and decide which light unit you would like to try. I don't know if they're still offering free samples, but the light units are so reasonably priced that it couldn't hurt to order just one for a trial and go from there.:)

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Are there any of you who have used Math U See all the way through at least jr. high?

I am having issues with the scope and sequence, I guess you could say. I realized when we started using this that some concepts would be delayed and I was not that bothered by that. However, right now my 3rd grader cannot count money, measure with inches and centimeters, or correctly tell temperature. He scored on the 1st grade level on the A.C.E. diagnostic test that I gave him online this morning. My 4th grader, which I was not that worried about, passed only half of the 3rd grade level.

After thinking I would just stick it out with MUS, I now am 2nd guessing myself. I know people say that once they finish about 6th grade that they will have learned all the math concepts that all other programs teach, but I'm just not very comfortable waiting.

I also do not want to have to make up my own stuff to fill in any gaps that bother me, like money or time or whatever. If I am buying a math program to teach math, I want it to have what I need. I don't mind practice or drill, but I don't want to find something else to try and teach money, graphs, time, temperature, etc.

I am seriously thinking about using Christian Light for math.

I have used MUS from Primer through Algebra 1 (we are currently using Algebra 2 and will do Geometry next). My children test very well (our PSP requires that they take the SAT beginning in 6th grade). If you want to continue with MUS you can use the MM Blue Series books for money, etc to supplement. My older children (now in 9th and 10th grade) didn't do this and have no issues but I am using MM Blue Series with MUS for my 7 yodd. Do I think she absolutely needs to do so? No, but she wants to do tons of worksheets and letting her do all the worksheets in an MUS lesson wouldn't be good:lol: I do love MM and think adding it to MUS for additional practice and another point of view is good. I also really love LOF and now use it with my older children in addition to MUS. I love the focus on word problems and real life math. When the author of LOF finishes writing elementary books I'll likely use them instead of MM unless my dd remains desperate for worksheets.

I vote for CLE. We have used it all the way through t:tongue_smilie:o 8th. Very solid program- continuous review, similar to Saxon. But, we think it is better than Saxon. Seamless transitions from one topic to the next. Open and go. Because of the continous review, the subject matter is retained and test scores are off the charts.

Go to the CLE website and take their placement test and place your children where they belong, not according to their age or grade level. Even if they are placed a year or two "behind", CLE is a little advanced and they will do fine on any standardized test.

It's a little bit weird- old fashioned Mennonite curriculum, with women wearing head coverings, etc. But it works.

Right now, the newer Sunrise version only goes through 8th grade. Very solid program through 8th grade though.

And, whatever program you decide upon, you should consider adding something to it and/or subtracting something from it to fit your children. For example, you may wish to add math games, manipulatives, flash cards, speed drills, fun math books, math computer programs, etc. And if the program is too tedious and your child doesn't need all the review, you can go ahead and cross out problems your child doesn't need to do. Individualize your child's education so it fits him/her.

Best wishes.

Gonna stick it out with MUS and add more drill using their website.

I also want to add some time, money, temperature, graph, etc. work once a week.

Any ideas for good, free, online worksheets for this?

I would stick with MUS for now and add things to it. MEP is free, but you really need to download the teacher portion of it. It's challenging, and the grades correspond with SM levels.

Other things I'd think about are MM Blue series, as has been mentioned, Keys to or LOF (when you get to Fractions & Decimals). We're not fans of TT here due to how it worked for my dd's, but you might want to add it. HOWEVER, both TT & MUS are weak on some of the heuristics (problem solving) aspects of math, and on word problems. If you can take a placement test for the MM series, that would be a very good idea.

What you want is for your dc to be able to handle the math they have, ideally understanding it, rather than moving on.

Another option is to write your own extra review problems to have your dc do while you're taking the time to master what you're doing with MUS.

My middle one did MUS with SM and it worked well for her.

I'm on the run, so I didn't read all of the replies...

Just wanted to say that though I dislike Saxon very, very, VERY much (used with older boys for late elem/jr. high) I absolutely LOVE CLE. No kidding. My ds is doing so well with it, and I am constantly happy with his results. He is understanding things that even I don't fully grasp.:blink:

Saxon and CLE are not alike. One teaches very incrementally (Saxon) and one is spiral (CLE). CLE will not let your child forget concepts because they will constantly review them (spiral back to them), but not so much that your child gets frustrated. At least my ds doesn't. Saxon, on the other hand, frustrated the daylights out of my older boys...as well as myself.

My ds prefers CLE over any of his other math work (BJU Prealgebra..which we've basically dropped). He loves how the variety keeps him on his toes, and is helping him master concepts. He also loves the workbook format, the quizzes, the tests, etc. There is nothing he dislikes about this program. It's all good.

I honestly can't say enough good things about CLE for math (and grammar). The longer I use it the happier I am with it. ;)

I just gave both children the placement tests for CLE Math. ThEY were disgusted that they did not know so many of the concepts. My son did not know how to count the money on one section and delcared (when I said it was okay that he did not know how to do it)"But Mom, I WANT to know how to count it!!" How sad is that? :crying::crying::crying:

They missed something on EVERY section and all of some sections. They placed in LUs 100 and 200. They are in 3rd and 4th grade this year....I know now how important it is for me to make the switch. And my husband is ALL for changing too.

Now my question is, what do I need to order? The light units (all 10), the light unit answer keys (all 10) and the teacher's manual? Is that right?

I just gave both children the placement tests for CLE Math. ThEY were disgusted that they did not know so many of the concepts. My son did not know how to count the money on one section and delcared (when I said it was okay that he did not know how to do it)"But Mom, I WANT to know how to count it!!" How sad is that? :crying::crying::crying:

They missed something on EVERY section and all of some sections. They placed in LUs 100 and 200. They are in 3rd and 4th grade this year....I know now how important it is for me to make the switch. And my husband is ALL for changing too.

Now my question is, what do I need to order? The light units (all 10), the light unit answer keys (all 10) and the teacher's manual? Is that right?

With CLE constant repetition and drill they'll probably catch up but even if they don't , CLE is about 6 months-1 yr ahead. It is most important that they learn their facts , no matter what grade level they are.

For CLE 100 , you need the TM . If she only missed a few concepts , you can place the 3rd grader in 2nd and the 4th in 3rd. Things introduced in 100 are reviewed a lot in 200 .Addition &sub . to 20 , money counting --they will have this down by the end of the year !

You can even buy half of 200 (201-206) and 300 and see how it goes . The first unit of each grade is just a test . If they are doing under 80% , it is recommended to start the previous level .

ETA We love CLE and my son has learned all his math so well : add. , sub., money, time,etc but we also add Singapore for a different kind of math and thinking , he loves them both . I cross a lot of CLE )things I feel he has mastered well) so he has time to do Singapore.

Edited by blessedmom3

With CLE constant repetition and drill they'll probably catch up but even if they don't , CLE is about 6 months-1 yr ahead. It is most important that they learn their facts , no matter what grade level they are.

For CLE 100 , you need the TM . If she only missed a few concepts , you can place the 3rd grader in 2nd and the 4th in 3rd. Things introduced in 100 are reviewed a lot in 200 .Addition &sub . to 20 , money counting --they will have this down by the end of the year !

You can even buy half of 200 (201-206) and 300 and see how it goes . The first unit of each grade is just a test . If they are doing under 80% , it is recommended to start the previous level .

ETA We love CLE and my son has learned all his math so well : add. , sub., money, time,etc but we also add Singapore for a different kind of math and thinking , he loves them both . I cross a lot of CLE )things I feel he has mastered well) so he has time to do Singapore.

LU 100 samples look too basic for my son. He did miss a lot on the 100 test though. I am not sure how to determine what to buy other than just judging by their scores and the teacher's guide for the placement test. If I choose to buy half of one year how do I know which units to buy? Should I call and talk to someone in their service dept.?

3rd grade son got 27 right on 100 placement test (missed all of fraction parts, all multi-digit subtraction and some addition, place value, counting coins, greater than/less than, patterns, and subtraction word problems)

4th grade daughter got 43 right on 200 placement test (missed all fractions, some geometry, most measures, some money, some patterns, and tally marks)

Teacher's guide says for 100 they must get 40 or more right to move to 200. It says they must get 55 or more right answers on the 200 test to move on to 300.Should I not just order all of 100 and 200 and let them work through them quickly?

Edited by amandajh
added content

LU 100 samples look too basic for my son. He did miss a lot on the 100 test though. I am not sure how to determine what to buy other than just judging by their scores and the teacher's guide for the placement test. If I choose to buy half of one year how do I know which units to buy? Should I call and talk to someone in their service dept.?

3rd grade son got 27 right on 100 placement test (missed all of fraction parts, all multi-digit subtraction and some addition, place value, counting coins, greater than/less than, patterns, and subtraction word problems)

4th grade daughter got 43 right on 200 placement test (missed all fractions, some geometry, most measures, some money, some patterns, and tally marks)

Teacher's guide says for 100 they must get 40 or more right to move to 200. It says they must get 55 or more right answers on the 200 test to move on to 300.Should I not just order all of 100 and 200 and let them work through them quickly?

Just a thought...You could go ahead and buy all of 100 and 200 if that wouldn't make you feel like "Oh, no! Now I'm stuck with all this whether we like it or not." I think at those levels the teacher's guides have the answers. You may not have to buy 201 because that will be review of 100 and your 4th grader could probably do without it, but buy it if it will put your mind at ease to see what that review is.

There will probably be a good portion of stuff that is review so you will probably find a way to get through it more quickly than usual. For example, when the lesson introduces something your dc already know well, you may decide to do just the types of problems and drill they need practice on, and go on ahead to the next lesson that day. Or, you may decide that every bit of it is beneficial practice for them and have them do it all. Then, because the first light unit at every level is review, if you go from one level to the next in the middle of the year, then there is no need to do that light unit, so your dc can move ahead a little more quickly. There are also 16 lessons in each unit so you can complete more than one light unit per month if your dc do math every day.

I hope this helps in some way. :001_smile:

We used R&S math, 4th grade last year for DS, who was 9, and he HATED it. Too many problems, so we started doing alternate problems. DS had copy the problems on separate paper, so that was difficult for him, so I allowed him to actually write in the book. I liked the spiral approach and the TM, but we ended up switching to MM 5th grade this year.

I think I will just go on and order the 100 and 200 LUnits and the TMs too. It will just make me feel better to be thorough and speed through or skip over things that may be too easy or already mastered. There are just too many concepts that they do not know and I want to be sure we hit it all.

If I choose to buy half of one year how do I know which units to buy? Should I call and talk to someone in their service dept.?

Here is the link to the Elementary Scope and Sequence which will tell you what is taught in each Math Light Unit. http://www.clp.org/store/by_grade/23

When we switched to CLE, my dd tested into Level 400, but after looking at the Scope & Sequence, I saw where topics were that she hadn't touched on yet (decimals, measuring) so we backed up and did 306-308, then jumped to 402 because she aced the 401 test. The other reason I started her back from where she tested is because I wanted it to be easy enough that she'd be successful as she transitioned into a new math program.

FYI, the Light Unit 01 of each Level (200, 300, 400) is a review of the previous level. 201 reviews Level 100, 301 reviews level 200, etc. If they test well in 01, you can skip that Light Unit and move right into the 02 unit of the Level you are working in.

. MM is really similar to Singapore and there is very little help for a teacher who doesn't know math.

with Singapore you *have* to get the Home Instructors Manuals. 2b Singapore teaches money (so that would be 2nd grade, second semester) for extra work on a problem area there is the Mental Math in the back of the Home Instructors Manual.

I think I will just go on and order the 100 and 200 LUnits and the TMs too. It will just make me feel better to be thorough and speed through or skip over things that may be too easy or already mastered. There are just too many concepts that they do not know and I want to be sure we hit it all.

Well, they did miss a lot , so yes, I'd order all of 100 and 200 but if you feel there are some things that they had mastered , you can skip so you finish the level at a faster pace.

You can also look at the SS as a previous poster said and see if you can skip any LU's (for time &money reasons) but since CLE is a spiral program , it would be hard.

Try to stick with it . It is not advisable to change maths often .

I am not a confident math teacher so I liked the dvds for MUS. However, I am not happy with our results. I feel like we are spending all our time doing what most programs do for daily drill practice that is "on the side". I am also a little stressed about the fact that they will be so behind in other programs and I don't really know how to catch them up. If we take a placement test and the need to be a level or 2 below their grade level, how do you ever catch them up?

(Did not read your other responses, just read your question.)

I am in the same boat with an older kid way behind in math.

I put him in Gamma to solidify the multiplication tables, and it is working beautifully, he is mastering the facts and understanding the concepts.

He has no idea it's a 3rd grade book, so I'm thankful they title them they way they do instead of having a giant "3" on the cover, lol!

My strategy for catching him up is to speed through the levels, doing probably two levels per year, until he gets to pre-algebra around 8th grade.

So far, we are on track for getting two levels done this year, and I have every reason to believe we can stay on track.

Since he has had some of what the subsequent levels teach already, it won't be completely new to him, but this time he will be able to understand it better with the solid foundation under him.

You can definitely supplement using whatever you feel would be best for your own dc -- there's enough time to do that -- MUS doesn't take near as long as Saxon did.

I'm so glad I switched to MUS. He's a lot more confident in math now, even though he SAYS he still hates math, but I don't really see that, I see him doing it and being satisfied.

I know it is hard when you get news like this, but better you back up and build a solid foundation than push through not really getting and always hating math.

All my kids are behind "grade level" in math, but what they do know they own.

Heather

I know it is hard when you get news like this, but better you back up and build a solid foundation than push through not really getting and always hating math.

All my kids are behind "grade level" in math, but what they do know they own.

Heather

Yes, it is hard, but I am glad that we caught this "early on". Thanks for the encouragement.

Well, they did miss a lot , so yes, I'd order all of 100 and 200 but if you feel there are some things that they had mastered , you can skip so you finish the level at a faster pace.

You can also look at the SS as a previous poster said and see if you can skip any LU's (for time &money reasons) but since CLE is a spiral program , it would be hard.

Try to stick with it . It is not advisable to change maths often .

I did order all of 100 and 200. And I agree about switching math programs. That is why I am so aggravated about it all. I really thought MUS was IT! From all that I have seen and read as far as reviews go, CLE has to be good.

I have learned that if there are bad reviews for something or if I am not quite sure about it, I SHOULD NOT USE IT!!! I just did the same thing with LLATL (was not quite sure about it, read SEVERAL bad reviews, but ordered it anyway and did not like it at all.) Reviews are written for a reason ;)

• 2 months later...

Another option worth considering is Horizons. We used MUS many years ago. I like that Horizons is incremental or spiral as well, but instead of very long sections of the same thing like Saxon, it splits them up. It's colorful, visually appealing without being crowded, and just pleasant. It is supposedly about a year ahead at the earlier grades, so all of my children have been a bit behind the grade level in it, but I'm okay with that.

I would say that the main thing I regret is time spent switching. That really set us back with my oldest.

I have used several math programs as well, so I feel your pain. Obviously, a lot of other moms do too. ;) We had settled on MUS as our main math. period. never changing again. WRONG! The convoluted way they teach things had my son totally confused. Granted, that may have something to do with the fact that I couldn't figure out how to help him understand it. So, I decided to try R&S. I had always thought of it as boring for some reason. It is perfect for us. It is our main math. period. never changing again. :001_huh: At least, I hope so. I am determined to stick it out. I believe it has the perfect explanations combined with a wonderful amount of review. I truly think we have found the program. :party:

All that to say...if CLE doesn't work out for some reason, I think it would be worth it to try R&S. Talking to Jann in TX, the WTM resident math expert, made me feel a lot better. She assured me that the important thing is to teach them where they are. (My son is behind grade level in math) The rest will fall into place. I think her vote was for R&S or Horizons for elementary.

Blessings to you!

All that to say...if CLE doesn't work out for some reason, I think it would be worth it to try R&S. Talking to Jann in TX, the WTM resident math expert, made me feel a lot better. She assured me that the important thing is to teach them where they are. (My son is behind grade level in math) The rest will fall into place. I think her vote was for R&S or Horizons for elementary.

Blessings to you!

fwiw, Jann in TX, who has helped me a great deal and is one of the math gurus I look to for advice, is one of several resident math experts, at least on the high school forum. She is the only one I know of who has an online class,though.:001_smile:

My 8yo son was using Singapore in PS. They skipped around and covered only what was nededed for the State test. By the end of the second year we found gapping holes in his knowledge base.

We brought him home and continued with Singapore for a year. I found it fine and while the book did not offer a lot of work (you only do math by doing it until you know it) there were plenty of supplemental material available.

But the spiral method really stumped him. So we went with Saxon this year (grade 3) and he has found it much more suited to his needs. I think it's a bit behind grade level but that frees time to continue out review of math facts.

He does the front of two sheets each morning. He comes to me with any questions and we work together. If I see new material I explain it before he starts. Later he does the second side to each sheet. We don't find it overly taxing and he's not working as fast as he can. We'll finish book 3 and move into 5/4 in March.

I've reviewed 5/4 and it does go about it much differently so we'll stick with it. Hopefully I'll find the next few years texts for $4 each like I did at our used-book fair last year!