Menu

US consumers spend more on potato chips than gov't energy R&D

"United States consumers spend significantly more on potato chips than the government devotes to energy R&D."

Also,

2/3 of engineering degrees are earned by non-US citizens

69% of US public school students, grades 5-8, are taught by teachers without a math degree or certificate

"Rising Above the Gathering Storm, Revisited:Rapidly Approaching Catagory 5"

:001_huh: Interesting stuff but sad.

Read Friedman's article which talks about this bipartian effort in NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/27/opinion/27friedman.html?src=me&ref=general

"United States consumers spend significantly more on potato chips than the government devotes to energy R&D."

Also,

2/3 of engineering degrees are earned by non-US citizens

69% of US public school students, grades 5-8, are taught by teachers without a math degree or certificate

"Rising Above the Gathering Storm, Revisited:Rapidly Approaching Catagory 5"

:001_huh: Interesting stuff but sad.

Read Friedman's article which talks about this bipartian effort in NYT: http://www.nytimes.com/2010/10/27/opinion/27friedman.html?src=me&ref=general

Both great articles. The problem? Many Americans don't seem to care if we fail, some even relish the idea. THAT is scary.

Guest Dulcimeramy
I did Saxon Math with my kids today...and I don't have a math degree. Or an English degree. Or a history one.

Yeah. I guess its easier to point at public school teachers than to notice that most of us are doing the same thing....

Other than that, I'm here to publicly apologize for my potato chip problem. I didn't know it was affecting the nation.

Yeah. I guess its easier to point at public school teachers than to notice that most of us are doing the same thing....

But we aren't doing the same thing. We aren't teaching 60 kids with limited resources. We aren't teaching kids whose parents don't care what they are learning or whether they are learning. We aren't doing the same thing at all.

But we aren't doing the same thing. We aren't teaching 60 kids with limited resources. We aren't teaching kids whose parents don't care what they are learning or whether they are learning. We aren't doing the same thing at all.

However, we could very well be holding up our end of the potato chip part.

:iagree: It's NOT the same thing. If it was, then WHY would we homeschool?? ;)

But-we don't want to be "New Elitists"! That's why identifying Jimmie Johnson (the *famous* one) will out you as a non-elitist, and thus "real" American. Urgh.

It's just such a false dichotomy between ivory-tower-professor and redneck. Like those are the only two choices? Or either one is inherently BAD?

Guest Dulcimeramy

Surely you've both seen posts on this very board asserting that most homeschool moms have no business teaching math. I've had my own doubts about *some* homeschoolers' ability to teach elementary English!

Still, I agree that we are not doing exactly the same thing. I believe I am successfully homeschooling my own children, but I don't have any notion that I could walk into a public school classroom and fix it.

Have you ever wondered if we actually have more resources and support than public school teachers?

True. Did you see my pringles admission on the secret food thread? :D

Right there with you! Actually, anything salty and fried gets me everytime.

These types of comparative statistics are great for eliciting big, horrified gasps, but I think they are manipulative and sensation-seeking.

Have you ever wondered if we actually have more resources and support than public school teachers?

In proportion to our task at hand? I would say we do, far more.

These types of comparative statistics are great for eliciting big, horrified gasps, but I think they are manipulative and sensation-seeking.

In most cases, I agree. In this case? I do think we are behind in math and science and our schools are failing kids in those subjects to a shocking degree.

In proportion to our task at hand? I would say we do, far more.

In most cases, I agree. In this case? I do think we are behind in math and science and our schools are failing kids in those subjects to a shocking degree.

I agree, and a fair comparative statistic would be how much we spend educating in math/science vs. how much others spend educating the same.

Comparing potato chip consumption to R&D - just looking for the shock factor... and trying to make us feel guilty for loving potato chips :lol:

Right there with you! Actually, anything salty and fried gets me everytime.

Exactly. We have 1/3 of the engineering degrees despite not having NEARLY 1/3 the population. (The US accounts for about 4.5% of the world's population.) I think we're doing pretty good.

And who said the government is the only source of funding for energy research? Wouldn't the private companies who stand to benefit, be doing research as well?

Exactly. We have 1/3 of the engineering degrees despite not having NEARLY 1/3 the population. (The US accounts for about 4.5% of the world's population.) I think we're doing pretty good.

Not positive, but I think that statistic is for the percent of PhDs given in the US. About 2/3s of the PhDs in the US are given to non-citizens. But I can't find a reliable source.

How DARE you post a picture of a large bag of Kettle Cooked Potato Chips right before my dinner time!! It is bad enough that the (half eaten) bag of Snickers intended for Halloweeners hidden in my basement is singing out to me oh so softly... :D

Must. Eat. Healthy.

Not positive, but I think that statistic is for the percent of PhDs given in the US. About 2/3s of the PhDs in the US are given to non-citizens. But I can't find a reliable source.

Found it.

Engineering Doctoral Degrees

Total doctoral degrees awarded by US universities are currently growing at an unprecedented rate. Since the minimum in AY2001-02 through AY2005-06, total doctoral degrees increased 38.4% due mainly to the 56.9% increase in the number of doctoral degrees awarded to foreign nationals. In AY2005-06, 62.2% of the doctoral degrees of US engineering colleges were awarded to foreign nationals.

Analysis of data for US citizens provides a new perspective. The maximum number of engineering doctorates awarded to US citizens that occurred in AY1996-97 is only 15.7% greater than the previous maximum 27 years earlier. Further, the number of engineering doctorates awarded to US citizens in AY2005-06 was essentially the same as in AY1969-70.

On a per capita basis, the maximum number of engineering doctorates awarded to US citizens occurred in AY1969-70 as shown in the second graph below. The maximum in AY1996-97 is 17.4% lower than former maximum and the number per capita in AY2005-05 is 32.5% lower.

0907A-5665-5.gif

And who said the government is the only source of funding for energy research? Wouldn't the private companies who stand to benefit, be doing research as well?

:iagree::iagree::iagree:

and

120px-Tim%27s_Jalapeno_Chips.jpg

is all I have to say.

Other than that, I'm here to publicly apologize for my potato chip problem. I didn't know it was affecting the nation.

I am currently eating Wheat Thins Toasted Chips. Do you think that helps? :tongue_smilie: