Menu

Prayers for my brother please

My 51 yo brother woke up yesterday a little out of sorts so my SIL went to Church without him. When she got home, he didn't recognize her so she called 911. The small hospital in their town transferred him to a larger hospital with an ICU because they have no idea what is wrong with him but he is not lucid. His CAT scan is clear. His spinal tap was clear. They think he may have some type of infection and they have a neurologist and an infectious disease doc working with him. He is in and out but did respond to the doctor today by shaking his head "no" in answer to some questions before slipping out again.

I just got off the phone with a different brother. Apparently, around 4 p.m. today Jim (brother in the hospital) woke up, sat up in bed, and started talking like nothing ever happened. He can't remember anything from the last day and a half but he recognizes everyone and seems as sharp as ever. He is a little weak on his right side and he is very sore (probably from the seizures he had, being poked and prodded, and so on). They still don't know what happened. He is having an MRI this afternoon. Basically, everyone is perplexed at this time but it seems he is doing much, much better. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers.

They checked for meningitis and encephalitis via spinal tap... negative. The CT scan showed no signs of a stroke. The blood and urine screens were negative as well. I'm glad he seems better but I really hope they find an answer.

Did I mention that his oldest daughter is getting married a week from Saturday??? Do you think stress (even though he would never admit to being stressed) would be at play?

Something similar happened to my dad about 10 years ago. He could not even remember how to open car doors.

It lasted about 3 days. It ended up being related to blood sugar issues.

I questioned the blood sugar thing too when my brother (not the one in the hospital... a different brother) called last night but he said the docs said no. We don't have anyone with diabetes in the family but there's always a first for everything, kwim?