Menu

Any Opinions on Nature's Recipe Vegetarian dog food?

After roaming the aisles at Petco in the Natural food section, ds and I opted to try this for our lab. Does anyone use this brand, particularly the vegetarian brand?

We're trying to go more natural in our diet and our pets diet and this was one brand that seems like it won't break the bank. We're used to Purina budget. :D She has contact allergies which we're hoping will dissipate once we move to a different region.

No personal experience, but here's the review of it (not the vegetarian one, though, it looks like) on dogfoodadvisor.com:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/natures-recipe-dry/

My first thought is that dogs are not "naturally" vegetarians, so it certainly wouldn't be a more natural diet for your dog. We recently switched to a high protein food for our dogs (Taste of the Wild), and it seems to have made a big difference, particularly for my 15 year old dog.

we use it but I really don't know what to say about it. We've used it for years and years.

I've heard that the more meat in the dog's diet, the more compact and quickly dissipating the poo. I have no idea if this is true but our dogs have never had compact poo.

eww.

The dogs seem to like it.

It doesn't smell bad like some of the meaty ones I've smelled at other ppl's houses. I'm sure that's a matter of opinion/preference.

hmmm . . .

My lab's allergies were better with the vegetarian food. With our airedale, she's always had the veggie food so we dont' know if they would be worse with other food. She has problems in spring and fall as did my lab. When my lab was on other foods, she had them longer. So, we keep Cuddly on the veggie food thinking that it is helping since it isn't too terribly long.

With our lab, we lived in OK and her allergies WERE AWFUL!!! We moved back to TN and they got a lot better. Then we moved back to OK :confused: and they got bad again but not as bad.

Our airedale has always lived in OK.

No personal experience, but here's the review of it (not the vegetarian one, though, it looks like) on dogfoodadvisor.com:

http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-food-reviews/natures-recipe-dry/

My first thought is that dogs are not "naturally" vegetarians, so it certainly wouldn't be a more natural diet for your dog. We recently switched to a high protein food for our dogs (Taste of the Wild), and it seems to have made a big difference, particularly for my 15 year old dog.

They also have another brand for healthy skin, venison and something. The vegetarian one uses soybean and canola (probably GM soy and canola, but that's another issue!) as protein sources.

There is apparently some debate on whether dogs do well as omnivores vs. carnivorous diets.

hmmm . . .

My lab's allergies were better with the vegetarian food. With our airedale, she's always had the veggie food so we dont' know if they would be worse with other food. She has problems in spring and fall as did my lab. When my lab was on other foods, she had them longer. So, we keep Cuddly on the veggie food thinking that it is helping since it isn't too terribly long.

With our lab, we lived in OK and her allergies WERE AWFUL!!! We moved back to TN and they got a lot better. Then we moved back to OK :confused: and they got bad again but not as bad.

Our airedale has always lived in OK.

This is good to hear. I feel bad, my dog is currently allergic to everything outdoors here. We have many pine trees and pollen is awful. Our yard is like a nature preserve, it's beautiful but bites for allergies (mine included). She lives on Benadryl most of the year. We'll be moving to a place with less trees and a distinct freezing season, which should help.

It's not vegetarian- it's a grain free food. I will say that we are consistently complimented on how shiny our dog's coat is, how clean her teeth are, and that it's far less stinky in the backyard after she's been out. ;)

Oh, for a non-stinky back yard I have to say try Diamond dog food. Not blue diamond.

When my parents were here (they RVed up with the dogs) we tried a bit of their Diamond on Baxter. He ran off and hid half of the bowl about the house. :glare: That was good enough for me since we have forever had problems getting him to eat a dry cereal.

So we found the closest place that carries it and buy the biggest bag since we have to drive 45 miles one way to get it.

His poos have gone from the size of something you'd think would come out of an elephant (exaggerating) to something smaller than that cats produce. After a rain it disappears from the back yard.

He is on the lamb and rice formula.

For an all natural yet budget friendly dog food look at the Kirkland brand, sold at Costco. It is made by Diamond Pet Foods, which is a good manufacturer. It has better ingredients then many premium foods, although not as good as the ones that cost an arm and a leg. I'm really impressed, and the price is great. Our Costco membership pays for itself with the money we save on dog food.

I should add that I'm a Certified Veterinary technician and former dog food snob. I used to only buy the stuff you got at boutique stores, or ordered online. Then I actually read the ingredients :)

Oh, for a non-stinky back yard I have to say try Diamond dog food. Not blue diamond.

When my parents were here (they RVed up with the dogs) we tried a bit of their Diamond on Baxter. He ran off and hid half of the bowl about the house. :glare: That was good enough for me since we have forever had problems getting him to eat a dry cereal.

So we found the closest place that carries it and buy the biggest bag since we have to drive 45 miles one way to get it.

His poos have gone from the size of something you'd think would come out of an elephant (exaggerating) to something smaller than that cats produce. After a rain it disappears from the back yard.

He is on the lamb and rice formula.

Hum, something else to think about. My poor dog will be a science experiment.

For an all natural yet budget friendly dog food look at the Kirkland brand, sold at Costco. It is made by Diamond Pet Foods, which is a good manufacturer. It has better ingredients then many premium foods, although not as good as the ones that cost an arm and a leg. I'm really impressed, and the price is great. Our Costco membership pays for itself with the money we save on dog food.

I should add that I'm a Certified Veterinary technician and former dog food snob. I used to only buy the stuff you got at boutique stores, or ordered online. Then I actually read the ingredients :)

No Costco near us, I'll have to check our new area.

I worked as a veterinary assistant for five years. I did almost everything a tech would do except glove up for surgery. I went through a lot of Science Diet training, but that was years (eons) ago. I still dream I work there, it was the like the never ending job that you couldn't help but love. Do you still work as a tech? We could compare scars... or stories.

I went to a yahoogroup rawfeed...put into search rawfood dogs or something of that sort. Our poor dog went through some awful stuff trying to get that bad dry food out of him and now his bowels are completely different and more "normal" for a dog. We feed him chicken hind legquarters and he eats the grass for some greens. He is so much healthier. He is a rough collie "lassie" and his coat is very nice and shiny. We pay from 99cents to 1.08 for a 10# bag. You can supplement with "organic chicken livers too if you like. I wish we could afford organic meat for him. That would be the ultimate. That is how we eat.

Cyndi

Parrothead....shocking on the margarita....now I know why you suggested scotch for my lab's new "calming" supplement..... :lol::lol: (To my post yesterday...too funny).

Re: Nature's Recipe....yes, we started buying it about 18 months ago at Soph's recommendation on her Ask the Vet group. If I remember correctly she said when you switch it may take up to about 2 months to determine if the new food will take effect.

We've bought several ones. Like you I've often wondered about the vegetarian....when you read the actual ingredients and source of those ingredients it's terrible. This can not be totally healthy for pets. So, we did try vegetarian for awhile. However, we did find a good fit going back to the meat..of venison.

Now here's something to ponder. There are pros and cons to giving "raw" meat. I've done it in the past. A piece of stew meat with a little too much fat...I don't spend the time to take it off and there's still meat on it so I give to our lab. I've heard discussion on both sides of the fence on this. But, eating raw meat is the natural instinct/lifestyle of pack animals. Dogs are domesticated, but I believe they still have those genes to eat raw meat.

But, I just really don't know. I'll stop babbling now and I look forward to hearing from others on this.

I would think twice about a vegetarian dog food. Not so much because dogs are not vegetarians (although that is a concern), but because a lower priced veg formula dog food is going to contain large amounts of GMO soy, and that is an industry which worries me.

Edited by LibraryLover

I went to a yahoogroup rawfeed...put into search rawfood dogs or something of that sort. Our poor dog went through some awful stuff trying to get that bad dry food out of him and now his bowels are completely different and more "normal" for a dog. We feed him chicken hind legquarters and he eats the grass for some greens. He is so much healthier. He is a rough collie "lassie" and his coat is very nice and shiny. We pay from 99cents to 1.08 for a 10# bag. You can supplement with "organic chicken livers too if you like. I wish we could afford organic meat for him. That would be the ultimate. That is how we eat.

Cyndi

I've thought about raw food, but the reality is, I hate to cook. Seriously, it's hard enough for me to think about dinner for the people. I know I wouldn't follow through with actual preparing food for the dog, so I've never done much research.

That was similar to my first thought, which was "why would you feed a carnivore a vegetarian diet?"

Food allergies is one reason. My dog has allergies, don't know if they could be food related though.

Parrothead....shocking on the margarita....now I know why you suggested scotch for my lab's new "calming" supplement..... :lol::lol: (To my post yesterday...too funny).

Re: Nature's Recipe....yes, we started buying it about 18 months ago at Soph's recommendation on her Ask the Vet group. If I remember correctly she said when you switch it may take up to about 2 months to determine if the new food will take effect.

We've bought several ones. Like you I've often wondered about the vegetarian....when you read the actual ingredients and source of those ingredients it's terrible. This can not be totally healthy for pets. So, we did try vegetarian for awhile. However, we did find a good fit going back to the meat..of venison.

Here's the ingredient list and it is has 21% protein, which imo is an acceptable level for a pet. Most of the these ingredients seem to have been chosen to alleviate know allergens.

Obviously two days isn't enough time to determine, but I swear she scratched less last night. She's even still sleeping, which she never sleeps this late.

Complete Ingredients

Ground rice, soybean meal, cracked pearled barley, canola oil (preserved with mixed tocopherols), calcium carbonate, dicalcium phosphate, salt, dehydrated carrots, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, L-ascorbyl-2-polyphosphate (source of vitamin C), inositol, niacin supplement, vitamin A supplement, d-calcium pantothenate, thiamine mononitrate, beta-carotene, riboflavin supplement, pyridoxine hydrochloride, menadione sodium bisulfite complex, vitamin D3 supplement, folic acid, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement), garlic oil, minerals (zinc proteinate, ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, iron proteinate, copper sulfate, copper proteinate, manganese proteinate, manganous oxide, calcium iodate, sodium selenite), onion extract, garlic powder, rosemary extract.

This is good....so, I'm wondering if a veg diet would be suitable WITH raw meat...the real stuff and not the yuck stuff in dry dog food? What do ya think?

Most of us don't have money to waste, but a little scrap raw meat as I mentioned earlier when making meals???

Wouldn't that solve both issues?