Menu

Good books for English?

Does anyone know of any good books that are great for English? I am in the 10th grade and would like to start reading some books that I can use to write essays and summarys.

I am considering getting the Scarlett Letter and using Sparknotes for that, any other books that your daughters use for English?

Do you have a copy of The Well Trained Mind? If not, then get one from the library or purchase it. . . It has GREAT book list! (And lots of other great stuff!)

The Well Educated Mind would be super for you in guiding you on how to read/study the books you are going to read.

Meanwhile, you can google up the AP English Literature book lists and choose some from there, as they are presumably a good bunch of classics!

Do you have a copy of The Well Trained Mind? If not, then get one from the library or purchase it. . . It has GREAT book list! (And lots of other great stuff!)

The Well Educated Mind would be super for you in guiding you on how to read/study the books you are going to read.

Meanwhile, you can google up the AP English Literature book lists and choose some from there, as they are presumably a good bunch of classics!

I will check that out the next time I get to go to the library. My family went yesterday while I was at violin practice, and I had my sister check out The Great Gatsby, An American Tragedy, and Scarlett Letter. Right now I am reading The Great Gatsby, and it looks pretty good to me. Thank you for the help.

I second The Well Educated Mind. You may not enjoy the process ;) but you will never regret one minute spent on learning and practicing analytical reading skills.

Rosie

Thanks Rosie, I actually am enjoying the analytical skill aspect of it right now. It's better than I thought it would be, I like it a lot more than geometry!

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Animal Farm

Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

Beowulf

Catcher in the Rye

Christmas Carol

Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court

Dracula

Epic of Gilgamesh

Ethan Frome

Evangeline (Longfellow)

Fahrenheit 451

Frankenstein

Giants in the Earth

Grapes of Wrath

Great Gatsby

Hobbit

Huckleberry Finn

Importance of Being Ernest

Invisible Man (H.G. Wells)

Last of the Mohicans

Light in the Forest

Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Macbeth

Man in the Iron Mask

Man Who Was Thursday

Man without a Country

Mere Christianity

O Pioneers

Odyssey

Oedipus Rex

Of Mice and Men

Old Man and the Sea

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

Oresteia

Our Town

Pride and Prejudice

Prince and the Pauper

Red Badge of Courage

Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Robinson Crusoe

Scarlet Letter

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Song of Roland

Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

The Screwtape Letters

Theban Trilogy

Three Musketeers

Till We Have Faces

Time Machine

To Kill a Mockingbird

Tom Sawyer

Treasure Island

Up From Slavery

Walden

William Bradford Plymouth’s Faithful Pilgrim

Short stories:

Legend of Sleepy Hallow

Rip Van Winkle

The Gift of the Magi

The Lady and the Tiger

The Black Cat

Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Animal Farm

Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin

Beowulf

Catcher in the Rye

Christmas Carol

Connecticut Yankee in King Arthur’s Court

Dracula

Epic of Gilgamesh

Ethan Frome

Evangeline (Longfellow)

Fahrenheit 451

Frankenstein

Giants in the Earth

Grapes of Wrath

Great Gatsby

Hobbit

Huckleberry Finn

Importance of Being Ernest

Invisible Man (H.G. Wells)

Last of the Mohicans

Light in the Forest

Lord of the Flies

Lord of the Rings Trilogy

Macbeth

Man in the Iron Mask

Man Who Was Thursday

Man without a Country

Mere Christianity

O Pioneers

Odyssey

Oedipus Rex

Of Mice and Men

Old Man and the Sea

One Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich

Oresteia

Our Town

Pride and Prejudice

Prince and the Pauper

Red Badge of Courage

Rime of the Ancient Mariner

Robinson Crusoe

Scarlet Letter

Sir Gawain and the Green Knight

Song of Roland

Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde

The Screwtape Letters

Theban Trilogy

Three Musketeers

Till We Have Faces

Time Machine

To Kill a Mockingbird

Tom Sawyer

Treasure Island

Up From Slavery

Walden

William Bradford Plymouth’s Faithful Pilgrim

Short stories:

Legend of Sleepy Hallow

Rip Van Winkle

The Gift of the Magi

The Lady and the Tiger

The Black Cat

Thank you so much for this list, now I can really choose what I need for high school. And did she read all of those books? She sure is a fast reader! And Hunter, thank you for you help as well!:)

Thank you so much for this list, now I can really choose what I need for high school. And did she read all of those books? She sure is a fast reader! And Hunter, thank you for you help as well!:)

This was the list of books that included what my son read for school and on his own. He is the kind of kid who curls up with the Autobiography of Ben Franklin for an evening read....most kids aren't so inclined.

So, yes. He read them. But no, I would not put all of these into 4 years of high school English classes. I prefer that each year we do 6 to 8 books/units (a unit might be a set of short stories), pondered deeply, studied, and essayed rather than 2 dozen books read quickly and not chewed. Then I stack my bookshelves with good books I would like my kids to read, and I keep track of all the titles they read that I consider good literature for a final list that can be sent out to colleges if they request it.

Does that help?

Take a look at the book lists in the Lightning Literature (Hewitt) curriculum--wonderful classics, and the selection is very user-friendly.

Some random, off-the-top-of-my-head favorites:

Jane Eyre

Sense and Sensibility

Pride and Prejudice

Their Eyes Were Watching God--Zora Neal Hurston

Uncle Tom's Cabin

To Kill a Mockingbird

A Separate Peace

Great Gatsby

Shakespeare

Utopia

Beowulf (Heaney translation)

Canterbury Tales

That should get you started . . .

If you are interested in a textbook, "The Language of Literature" has a great selection of all forms of literature plus vocabulary, grammar, and writing assignments. Most of the literature selections are complete short stories and not bits from novels. We add a few whole novels during the year. But this text can easily be a complete English credit.

This was the list of books that included what my son read for school and on his own. He is the kind of kid who curls up with the Autobiography of Ben Franklin for an evening read....most kids aren't so inclined.

So, yes. He read them. But no, I would not put all of these into 4 years of high school English classes. I prefer that each year we do 6 to 8 books/units (a unit might be a set of short stories), pondered deeply, studied, and essayed rather than 2 dozen books read quickly and not chewed. Then I stack my bookshelves with good books I would like my kids to read, and I keep track of all the titles they read that I consider good literature for a final list that can be sent out to colleges if they request it.

Does that help?

Sorry, I meant son not daughter, lol I got mixed up! But yes this does help me very much, I get what you are saying and I agree with you that it is better to study a book thoroughly rather than reading a whole bunch of books and not really getting the point of the book.

Thank you so much for the help Jean I appreciate it!:001_smile:

If you are interested in a textbook, "The Language of Literature" has a great selection of all forms of literature plus vocabulary, grammar, and writing assignments. Most of the literature selections are complete short stories and not bits from novels. We add a few whole novels during the year. But this text can easily be a complete English credit.

This is the exact book I am using Pam!! I'm really enjoying the book and enjoy reading the short stories that they have in there. It makes me think in ways I haven't before, and I also like history, so this is a great book. IT gives you almost everything you need for a complete English credit like you said.

Thank you all so much for helping me out here. It is very appreciated and I am enjoying school so much more now! :D

I have not used the Language of Literature books, but have seen that they offer some nice online support. It appears that you do not need an access code and among other features you can take practice tests geared to the type of testing you may be considering: SAT, ACT Reading and ACT English. The grading is not individualized, but the answers are shown so you can keep track of how well you did.

LBS

I have not used the Language of Literature books, but have seen that they offer some nice online support. It appears that you do not need an access code and among other features you can take practice tests geared to the type of testing you may be considering: SAT, ACT Reading and ACT English. The grading is not individualized, but the answers are shown so you can keep track of how well you did.

LBS

Thank you so much, I didn't really know that, this will be great help for the SAT/ACT!! Thanks LBS!

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Erick Tait

I think you’re just about the right age to read 'The Catcher in the Rye' I first read it when I was in 10th grade too. It’s a book that you will relate to quite easily – with all the frustrations and disillusionments of the protagonist, Holden Caulfield. It’s tough growing up! The world around you is not what it seems to be and it’s difficult to come to terms with it. We all go through this phase. Salinger has expressed the feelings and emotions of all of us at one time or another in our lives. Shmoop really enlightened me about this book. Like, do you know the significance of the title? This site is worth a visit.