Menu

Etiquette - what sort of thank you comes next?

I helped out a lady I know and it was a pretty major type of help. I was happy to do it and didn't expect anything more than a verbal thank you. I got that and more. She and her husband took me and my husband to a super nice dinner last night. I thanked her at the restaurant and gave her a hug. Do I need to do anything else to be polite? Or has it played out now? I don't want to appear ungrateful. It was a really nice gesture on their part and we really did have a great evening. Would an email be appropriate?

Okay, I can do that. I just worried it seemed too formal and like she would feel obligated to thank me for thanking her and it would go on and on. :tongue_smilie:

LOL... well if it was me, being as it was sort of a 'return favor' to thank you for yours, I would think an email would be fine and that you could just write a brief line saying "I just wanted to say how nice a time we had at dinner last night! Hope we can get together again soon!" or some such.

Something that shows that you wanted to show a little extra appreciation but not a "thanks for thanking me, now you'll have to thank me for thanking you for thanking me" more formal kind of thing.

UPDATE! She sent me an email saying how much she enjoyed our company and hopes to do it again soon. And she also made a similar comment on her Facebook status. She beat me to it! I can't thank her for thanking me again! :lol:

I didn't mention this is my dd18's ex-boyfriend's family, did I? :tongue_smilie: She loves my dd and thinks that she will be her son's teen-love-regret. The kids are actually still friends, but I think it's more due to the fact that dd18 absolutely loves this family.