Menu

Do you think gluten is being blamed for everything under the sun?

Wow -- thank you so very much for sharing all of this. I have been contemplating trying a gluten-free diet for our family. Do you think a month would be enough to see a difference?

He had major language delays. He was not able to play. He had sensory issues. No matter what he tried to do, he would get extremely upset. For example, if he was playing with the train set and the trains weren't moving the way he wanted, he'd be whining and crying. This went on all day long. At every meal, he would whine and cry about whatever food I put before him. I used to put his food out and then go upstairs and turn the blowdryer on so I wouldn't hear him because it was so upsetting. The worst thing was that he was extremely oppositional and irritable. If I wanted to take him outside, he would fight me, if we were getting in the car, he would fight me, if I tried to put his socks on, he would fight me. It didn't matter what it was, he just fought me on everything and I often had to physically drag him to get him to go where I needed to go.

After he went gluten free, his language skills improved about 1 year's worth in 6 weeks. (We had him evaluated right before we went gluten free and when I took him back for his first speech session the SLP couldn't believe it was the same child.) He would sit and do an activity and he was able to play happily. All my friends commented how they had never seen him participate in "X" many, many times over the next few months. Best of all, he became the sweet, dear, loving child I always hoped he was. It still brings tears to my eyes when I think of it.

The biggest regret of my life is that I did not start him on this diet when I first heard about it when he was 2. He was 3 when we finally did it and I believe he would not be struggling with the language-based lds that he has if I would have changed his diet sooner.

Lisa

Wow -- thank you so very much for sharing all of this. I have been contemplating trying a gluten-free diet for our family. Do you think a month would be enough to see a difference?

Dawn -

I would think so. I thought it would take months to see a difference in my son and had I known that I would see incredible changes within days, I would not have hesitated to try it. My son was only 3 at the time and I think because of that the results were more dramatic. I do have a friend whose son began the diet when he was 8 or 9 and it ended his episodes of rage. He didn't have the black and white response my son had, but it has made a big difference in his life.

Lisa

This coming from one who is used to having to take our own food anywhere we go, who is shunned from most social events my my ILs because we won't just eat what everyone else eats, and who loves my mom to pieces because she'll go out of her way to make sure she cooks something/serves something/buys something that we can all eat. (Oh, and dh's aunt and my aunt are the sam way.) Yes, social eating is pretty much a thing of the past.

Interesting; I feel pretty much the direct opposite of this. I do not want people to go out of their way to accommodate my dietary needs and I feel like I'm inconveniencing someone terribly if they do. I don't want my dairy-free needs to inform what someone serves at a dinner or party. This is why I think it's better to eat "normally" if there's not a dire reason to avoid a food/food category.

I do think it's reasonable to bring along a casserole/dish/whatever to share if you have food needs that won't be accommodated. I knew a vegetarian who always did this. She was so discrete and generous about it; the focus was, "I brought this awesome eggplant pasta to share," rather than, "well since I don't eat animal flesh, i brought my own food." :)

I just tend to be skeptical about food intolerances because I spent a couple of years messing around with elimination diets for my son. Nothing conclusive came of it. He did not morph into an agreeable, happy, wonderful, cooperative child who grew and thrived. He stayed challenging, intense, inflexible and tiny for a couple of years. Some of his behaviors eventually improved with age; some with training. He's still little and he still gets sick easily. Maybe there's some connection with a food group, but if there is, I was never able to make a definitive conclusion.

Interesting; I feel pretty much the direct opposite of this. I do not want people to go out of their way to accommodate my dietary needs and I feel like I'm inconveniencing someone terribly if they do. I don't want my dairy-free needs to inform what someone serves at a dinner or party. This is why I think it's better to eat "normally" if there's not a dire reason to avoid a food/food category.

I do think it's reasonable to bring along a casserole/dish/whatever to share if you have food needs that won't be accommodated. I knew a vegetarian who always did this. She was so discrete and generous about it; the focus was, "I brought this awesome eggplant pasta to share," rather than, "well since I don't eat animal flesh, i brought my own food." :)

I just tend to be skeptical about food intolerances because I spent a couple of years messing around with elimination diets for my son. Nothing conclusive came of it. He did not morph into an agreeable, happy, wonderful, cooperative child who grew and thrived. He stayed challenging, intense, inflexible and tiny for a couple of years. Some of his behaviors eventually improved with age; some with training. He's still little and he still gets sick easily. Maybe there's some connection with a food group, but if there is, I was never able to make a definitive conclusion.

I agree with this. I have a SIL who decided to put her family on a GF diet. She did lose weight really quickly and loves it. However, there was no reason for her kids to go on it (no sickness or developmental or growth issues at all) and nothing about them has changed. She gets really huffy when people don't make special accomodations for their diet. She doesn't bother to bring GF food for everybody at functions but she will complain and complain when others don't bring food their family can eat. Also, she comes across really ungrateful and elitist when people offer the kids food-it isn't good enough for her family and she is a better parent because she actually researches what goes in her kids mouths. I never noticed her being rude before the diet, but she has said some really rude things to people about food since beginning the diet (not blaming the diet at all).

I think that if you eliminate something from a kids diet it should be done only if really necessary. Her kids really have missed out on things that they wouldn't have if they could eat "normally." It is really hard to do spontaneous things with them because you can't just give them food that is in your house already or pack a quick snack. At a recent out-of-town funeral in a rural area we spent SO MUCH time trying to find things they could eat instead of visiting/mourning with the rest of the family. The church provided our meals (she complained that no one told them to do GF). If you really are needing to be GF it will be worth it, but it is a hassle.

I do think you can learn things from an elimination diet, but it is hard because so many variables affect how you feel and you can't control for the placebo effect. In my area, gluten is blamed for everything. I hear that word at least 20 times a day. However, I do think going GF is lifechanging for some and I am glad it is getting easier for them to follow that lifestyle. But, yes, I do think it is a overhyped in my world.

ETA: I do love my SIL and her kids, so I don't mind the hassle. I try to keep GF stuff in the house so they can come over spontaneously. I'm just saying that it is hard to do GF all the time, so I wouldn't do it unnecessarily.

-Me, who has lurked here a long time and probably should not start by posting on this thread

Edited by lovinmyboys

I never expect anyone to go out of their way to accommodate us. I am used to taking our own food, but when we when offer to do that (for instance with my ILs) and then are shunned and told to just eat what everyone else eats, it starts to chap one's hide. :glare: Anytime anyone offers to help us out, inquires into what we can and cannot eat, or purposely goes shopping for specialty foods for us, it is the most amazing act of kindness, but it is never, ever expected and always met with extreme humility on our part and statements of "you really do not need to go out of your way".

When we do have larger family gatherings (for instance, Christmas Eve at my mom's house), I typically only cook enough for my family. The actual dinner tends to be catered or potluck style, and considering we can't eat pretty much anything else that will be there and to be able to share, I would have to cook a full complete meal for everyone there, it is cost-prohibited to do so. If there are other food selections at the event that we can eat (for instance, if my mom makes sure she makes or purchases things that we can eat), I will try to bring extra of our own to share - but that does not typically happen (though interestingly enough, most everyone has decided that they like the taste of all-natural, homemade, gluten-free and dairy-free food ... go figure!).

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "dire" reason to avoid a food group. None of us are anaphylactic to gluten, dairy, nor artificial ingredients. None of us would test as actually having an allergy. I'm not even sure any of us would test positive for celiac (that is debatable). But, the difference between a diet full of gluten/dairy/artificial ingredients, and one without is huge. I would not trade our lives now to "eat normally" because we do not have a "dire need" to eliminate any of the above mentioned foods (or non-foods). I deal with people in my own life who are quite skeptical of food intolerances, do not believe they exist, and will not include us in family events because we won't eat "normally" like everyone else. It is a huge thorn in my side, hurts dh immensely, and means my boys do not see one set of grandparents very often (though they live 20 minutes away). I would not choose this lifestyle for anyone (a lifestyle of needing to eliminate major food groups). But the reality is that there are many, many people who benefit greatly for it, who have legitimate reasons to do so (even if the mainstream medical community don't care to even acknowledge it), and who would never go back to eating "normally" just to fit in with everyone else.

/end soapbox

Yes, it's pretty trendy. Thank goodness! I spent many years quite sick, and thanks to a friend mentioning gluten (I'd already cut out bread but had not heard of gluten) I am now quite well. I've never been a fad dieter, I've never ever been on a single diet, I've always thought they were complete clap trap, so cutting gluten was a radical step for me. And we already ate a mostly unprocessed diet because I avoid preservatives and additives, I've always been a "from scratch" cook. My misery eased within the week and disappeared within a couple of months, I lost symptoms I didn't know I had; I was able to give up my midday nap, a funny rash I had on my legs disappeared. I had been going regularly to the doctor for 12 years trying to get some answers to my gastro issues and they never suggested gluten to me.

It may be trendy, there may be people doing it due to trend, there are also many people who have found great healing from it. And yes, it's easy-ish. But eating out is a right pain in the bum, either at restaurants or friends homes. I have to prewarn them, sometimes I have 1-2 boring choices at restaurants, sometimes there has been NOTHING I can eat. So I don't think it's an easy option.

Disagree with this. I had an endoscopy 9 years ago when we suspected I had a gluten intolerance and it came back negative. So, I went about my life eating gluten. I did give up dairy about 5 years ago and that made a difference, but nothing like when I gave up gluten out of curiosity about 3 months ago. Remember that the endoscopy test only checks for celiac- damage to the intestines. Not an intolerance or allergy, etc. Just go GF. But do it for at least a month or you may not see a difference. And it's free. A hassle, but totally free and without risks. Why not try it? Fear that it won't work or fear that it will?

Margaret

My take is that you are 100% correct, but I still think it's worth getting the test done. On the basis that the medical community gives you a lot more credibility with a firm diagnosis. If it's negative I still think it's worth trialling a GF diet. But I always recommend people get tested up front. Once you are GF, going back on it to be tested can be an unbearable thought.

Edited by keptwoman

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "dire" reason to avoid a food group. None of us are anaphylactic to gluten, dairy, nor artificial ingredients. None of us would test as actually having an allergy. I'm not even sure any of us would test positive for celiac (that is debatable). But, the difference between a diet full of gluten/dairy/artificial ingredients, and one without is huge. I would not trade our lives now to "eat normally" because we do not have a "dire need" to eliminate any of the above mentioned foods (or non-foods). I deal with people in my own life who are quite skeptical of food intolerances, do not believe they exist, and will not include us in family events because we won't eat "normally" like everyone else. It is a huge thorn in my side, hurts dh immensely, and means my boys do not see one set of grandparents very often (though they live 20 minutes away). I would not choose this lifestyle for anyone (a lifestyle of needing to eliminate major food groups). But the reality is that there are many, many people who benefit greatly for it, who have legitimate reasons to do so (even if the mainstream medical community don't care to even acknowledge it), and who would never go back to eating "normally" just to fit in with everyone else.

When I say a "dire need," I'm thinking a) you'll die from eating it; or b) you'll be in certain and definite, specific pain while the food is in your system. Honestly, I am pretty skeptical about non-specific, untestable food intolerances. If someone wants to go through food elimination and does discover that all their ills vanished after a month of GFCF or whatever, great - I have no dispute about it; eat the way that you feel best. But in your post, you outline exactly the type of impact that I disagree with: you say your boys don't see their grandparents very often and it hurts your dh, all because you have a food standard that they don't agree with. This is exactly the type of social disharmony that I would not support unless we're talking about a food that would kill or seriously, immediately harm my child.

Sometimes, when my kids spend the night at Grandma's, she lets them eat FROOTLOOPS for breakfast! Do I advocate plastic-colored, fake food? NO! But, it won't kill them to have plastic-colored, fake food once in a blue moon. She also gives them Sunny D to drink - hey, it's fruit! - so she thinks. Not my first choice in beverages, but it will not kill them to have it now and then. What I'm saying is I would not prevent my children from sleeping over Grandma's because this food standard she has is not up to par with what I serve them in our everyday lives.

Ultimately, since the OP was about going GF without having a diagnosis, I reiterate my view: I do not advocate drastic diet alterations if no medical need has been determined. Food does affect social situations, as you have illustrated. There are also numerous nutrients that are not easily substituted when whole categories of foods are cut from one's diet.

I don't mind accomodating my mom at all. When we invite her over for dinner, I make sure she has things to choose from. We often grill burgers or chicken then. She is also able to eat the baked beans, chips and fruit. I sometimes have other things too, but I let her know what she can eat. I serve chocolate garbanzo bean cake, flourless peanut butter cookies or ice cream (she likes it with peanuts on top) for dessert. I buy the ice cream with only a few ingredients, like Turkey Hill.

There really are so many foods a person can eat while gluten-free. Meatloaf, mashed potatoes and carrots would work too. Chicken, rice and a vegetable would work. A Mexican dish with corn, beans, ground beef or chicken, salsa, and onion served with lettuce, tomato, sour cream and tortilla chips would be great as well.

I never expect anyone to go out of their way to accommodate us. I am used to taking our own food, but when we when offer to do that (for instance with my ILs) and then are shunned and told to just eat what everyone else eats, it starts to chap one's hide. :glare: Anytime anyone offers to help us out, inquires into what we can and cannot eat, or purposely goes shopping for specialty foods for us, it is the most amazing act of kindness, but it is never, ever expected and always met with extreme humility on our part and statements of "you really do not need to go out of your way".

When we do have larger family gatherings (for instance, Christmas Eve at my mom's house), I typically only cook enough for my family. The actual dinner tends to be catered or potluck style, and considering we can't eat pretty much anything else that will be there and to be able to share, I would have to cook a full complete meal for everyone there, it is cost-prohibited to do so. If there are other food selections at the event that we can eat (for instance, if my mom makes sure she makes or purchases things that we can eat), I will try to bring extra of our own to share - but that does not typically happen (though interestingly enough, most everyone has decided that they like the taste of all-natural, homemade, gluten-free and dairy-free food ... go figure!).

/end soapbox

Ultimately, since the OP was about going GF without having a diagnosis, I reiterate my view: I do not advocate drastic diet alterations if no medical need has been determined. Food does affect social situations, as you have illustrated. There are also numerous nutrients that are not easily substituted when whole categories of foods are cut from one's diet.

The testing of the effects of gluten on an individual is still in it's infancy. I have no medical diagnosis, but I've had a coeliac specialist tell me I'd be foolish to start eating gluten again. When it comes to medical need and gluten, it's a murky, murky field. For some people the change in removing gluten from the diet can be life altering, and I do not think that should be dismissed due to lack of diagnosis.

I guess it's easy to be skeptical when you are not affected.

Right, but doctors are pretty ignorant about food and how it affects us. They can test for celiac, but they cannot go beyond that. It takes time being consistent with an elimination diet to find out for oneself.

I think people can be very stubborn about the choices of another even if it doesn't affect them at all. I've seen this with my dad. There's this annoyance at us doing anything differently than he does. I see this very often with older people. My mil was aghast that I made snow cream with the first snow. She kept going on and on about how bad it was for the boys.

I find it ridiculous that parents cannot be accomodating every now and then. If a person eats what the person is trying to eliminate in order to find out something, it ruins it.

When I say a "dire need," I'm thinking a) you'll die from eating it; or b) you'll be in certain and definite, specific pain while the food is in your system. Honestly, I am pretty skeptical about non-specific, untestable food intolerances. If someone wants to go through food elimination and does discover that all their ills vanished after a month of GFCF or whatever, great - I have no dispute about it; eat the way that you feel best. But in your post, you outline exactly the type of impact that I disagree with: you say your boys don't see their grandparents very often and it hurts your dh, all because you have a food standard that they don't agree with. This is exactly the type of social disharmony that I would not support unless we're talking about a food that would kill or seriously, immediately harm my child.

Sometimes, when my kids spend the night at Grandma's, she lets them eat FROOTLOOPS for breakfast! Do I advocate plastic-colored, fake food? NO! But, it won't kill them to have plastic-colored, fake food once in a blue moon. She also gives them Sunny D to drink - hey, it's fruit! - so she thinks. Not my first choice in beverages, but it will not kill them to have it now and then. What I'm saying is I would not prevent my children from sleeping over Grandma's because this food standard she has is not up to par with what I serve them in our everyday lives.

Right, but doctors are pretty ignorant about food and how it affects us. They can test for celiac, but they cannot go beyond that. It takes time being consistent with an elimination diet to find out for oneself.

I think that's a pretty broad brush to paint all doctors with. :tongue_smilie: And I recommend testing for celiac if someone thinks that may be the problem. I also think it's fine to go ahead and eliminate something if one wants to see for themselves if they feel better. But I do think gluten is being "blamed for everything under the sun," in the words of the OP.

I think that's a pretty broad brush to paint all doctors with. :tongue_smilie: And I recommend testing for celiac if someone thinks that may be the problem. I also think it's fine to go ahead and eliminate something if one wants to see for themselves if they feel better. But I do think gluten is being "blamed for everything under the sun," in the words of the OP.

Over the 12 years where I was quite ill, I saw at least 7 different doctors (My family doctors and their locums) and not one ever mentioned gluten or coeliacs. The coeliac doctor I finally saw this year (16 years on) told me that GPs are generally woefully lacking in information on coeliacs and gluten in general. Yes, there are exceptions, not ALL doctors are like that, but many are.

Edited by keptwoman

I honestly don't mean it in a mean way. But, they receive little training in nutrition -- that's a fact. I even had an herbalist tell me that processed deli meat is a good thing.

My mom's doctor -- who diagnosed her with celiac disease -- told her that pizza every now and then wouldn't hurt her at all.

I asked my doctor if I could have my blood tested to see how my vitamin and mineral levels were. She looked at me like I was crazy. She asked if there was something in particular I was concerned about. I told her I just thought it would be good to see if I was deficient in anything. She's more of a "wait to see if you have something wrong, and then we'll check to see if you are deficient in anything."

I know patients with diabetes aren't told how to manage it with diet.

My dad was told to eat oatmeal when he was diagnosed with high blood pressure. That was the extent of his dietary advice.

Then we will just have to agree to disagree. I see having a son that can speak as worth losing any relationship over. I see having a son without a anal rash that would never go away no matter how it was treated worth losing relationships. I see having children without major SPD, ADD, and rage issues worth it as well. If my ILs don't care to see it, then that is their problem. Dh wouldn't chose to eat normally, nor would he ever allow his children to eat normally just so they could see their grandparents. Thirty days of detoxing isn't worth it at all. Considering we never once have asked my ILs to accommodate us (just allow us to bring our own food), they truly have nothing to complain about when it comes to *us* having dietary needs. They care more about keeping up appearances and being "normal" than they do, apparently, healthy children and grandchildren. It does amaze me how people who are not impacted by another's choices in lives get their panties all in a wad over it. As I said, none of us have "dire" needs by your definitions and it seems based on your beliefs, I should just allow my kids to eat whatever. I'm not willing to go down that road ever with my children's health just because if they do eat gluten, dairy or artificial food they won't die.

I see having a son that can speak as worth losing any relationship over. I see having a son without a anal rash that would never go away no matter how it was treated worth losing relationships. I see having children without major SPD, ADD, and rage issues worth it as well. If my ILs don't care to see it, then that is their problem. Dh wouldn't chose to eat normally, nor would he ever allow his children to eat normally just so they could see their grandparents

:iagree:

I love how someone else can decide the quality of life my child should lead. Thankfully both sets of grandparents in our family have decided that their relationship w/ the grandchildren is more imp than some non-existent right to feed them junkfood. We bring our own food a lot but both grandparents here now know basic gluten free items for them- namebrands of a few lunchmeats, plain fresh meat, veggies, fruits and nuts.

Then we will just have to agree to disagree. I see having a son that can speak as worth losing any relationship over. I see having a son without a anal rash that would never go away no matter how it was treated worth losing relationships. I see having children without major SPD, ADD, and rage issues worth it as well. If my ILs don't care to see it, then that is their problem. Dh wouldn't chose to eat normally, nor would he ever allow his children to eat normally just so they could see their grandparents. Thirty days of detoxing isn't worth it at all. Considering we never once have asked my ILs to accommodate us (just allow us to bring our own food), they truly have nothing to complain about when it comes to *us* having dietary needs. They care more about keeping up appearances and being "normal" than they do, apparently, healthy children and grandchildren. It does amaze me how people who are not impacted by another's choices in lives get their panties all in a wad over it. As I said, none of us have "dire" needs by your definitions and it seems based on your beliefs, I should just allow my kids to eat whatever. I'm not willing to go down that road ever with my children's health just because if they do eat gluten, dairy or artificial food they won't die.

I'm not sure if the bolded portion is meant for me or for the grandparents. Just to be clear, my panties are not in a wad whatever food standard you have. I posted my opinion about testing for GI, vs. trying an elimination diet just to see. if you view it differently, so be it.

As far as I know, I only get one life to live. Eating dairy products makes me feel bad, so i avoid them as much as possible. But I would not put my eating needs above my social desires; people are more important to me than how "pure" my food is. I do view the foods we eat as important and I do care what my children eat. I assure you, I don't "let them eat whatever." But I would not impose upon them a restrictive diet that meant they couldn't eat at Grandma's, couldn't buy the pizza lunch at homeschool co-op, couldn't eat the soccer snack on Saturdays, couldn't have cupcakes at the birthday party, couldn't stop by Panera for a treat, and had to be constantly watched over, lest they eat some horrid, processed food that's not up to my superior standards. I would not sacrifice those pleasures of life and socially fun things unless there was a dire need. That is my personal opinion; obviously, since I'm the one saying it, who else's opinion would it be? YMMV.

I think going gluten-free sounds kind of intriguing. I don't really feel like I have a problem with it, but it still would kind of interesting to see how I feel without it.

We all have our own thing, you know? I'd like to see the whole world go vegan, even the people who say they have to have meat and dairy or they can't function. I think they might be surprised how they would do a few weeks after detoxifying from those substances.

I have to agree with that gal who rolled her eyes about candida, lol.

I think going gluten-free sounds kind of intriguing. I don't really feel like I have a problem with it, but it still would kind of interesting to see how I feel without it.

We all have our own thing, you know? I'd like to see the whole world go vegan, even the people who say they have to have meat and dairy or they can't function. I think they might be surprised how they would do a few weeks after detoxifying from those substances.

I would like to see the whole world try GF :)

I am an unapologetic meat eater. But I feel that there isn't one right diet for everyone. I have great energy, mood, elimination, no skin problems, am at a wonderfully healthy weight, exceedingly healthy pregnancies. So, for someone else to tell me that I am not healthy I find funny. To each their own.

But I would not put my eating needs above my social desires; people are more important to me than how "pure" my food is. I do view the foods we eat as important and I do care what my children eat. I assure you, I don't "let them eat whatever." But I would not impose upon them a restrictive diet that meant they couldn't eat at Grandma's, couldn't buy the pizza lunch at homeschool co-op, couldn't eat the soccer snack on Saturdays, couldn't have cupcakes at the birthday party, couldn't stop by Panera for a treat, and had to be constantly watched over, lest they eat some horrid, processed food that's not up to my superior standards. I would not sacrifice those pleasures of life and socially fun things unless there was a dire need.

What if you could see that it did make a difference, though? Maybe not a life-threatening difference...no, my child won't die if he gets some gluten, but he will turn into a completely different child for a week. He'll be in pain, he won't be able to express himself because he can't focus long enough to do so, he won't sleep (due to insomnia), and he'll miss at least a week of everything that's important to him - simply because my MIL can't get it through her head (even though she has severe food allergies as well) that he can't have gluten. I, as well, don't ask her to cook gluten free...just to realize that he needs to have his own food. She sees this as a personal affront to her cooking...because, after all, it is all about her. (And yes, this is how she sees it - she is incredibly insecure and self-centered, and even though she's read all about it and asked us questions, she still thinks that being accepted through her cooking is more important than her grandson's well-being. Sigh...)

And honestly, I don't impose this diet on him - he chooses it, daily. He knows how sick he gets when he's glutened, he's had more than enough time in the ER and hospital because of it, and he doesn't care to go there again.

No, I don't think that things like celiac should be taken to the point that relationships are cut off...but I'm also not willing to compromise my child's health because someone 5 times his age can't accept that he medically can't have something that they've made. I make allowances for him to eat non-healthy foods...I even <gasp> make them myself from time to time ;) I just don't use gluten when doing so. If the grandparent doesn't care enough about the relationship to make some rather small allowances (and it is rather small - we are even willing to check ahead on the menu to bring something that looks like what everyone else is eating so he won't stand out), then the relationship is pretty one-sided, no?

I'm not talking sugary cereals and Sunny D...I'm talking something that can medically injure my child. It causes his own immune system to start killing off part of an organ - the part that releases nutrients to all the other systems, which in turn, causes them not to work correctly. This, IMO, isn't worth keeping a fairly non-existent relationship with someone who's so centered on herself that she can't see anyone else.

We give ds the choice on whether he wants to see his grandparents...with how they've treated him, because of his being celiac, he doesn't want to. We offer that choice at least monthly, and he just plain has no need to be around people who can't accept him. He has good relationships with his other grandparents, because they don't make a big deal out of it and allow him to bring his own food. They simply set aside some space on a counter that everyone knows is his...and he eats with everyone else, he just eats food that's safe for him.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's two sides to the issue. It's not just overprotective moms cutting their poor kids off from eating at grandma's...it's got more to do with grandma not being able to see past her own insecurities to protect her grandkids. That comes through to kids - they see it, and they may or may not understand it, but they see it. (Ds even asked us what was wrong with him that made grandma and grandpa treat him like they do. Gee, thanks, but no thanks.) Maybe, all we're asking is for the adults to man up and be adults for a short period of time and see that not everything in life revolves around whether someone can eat what they've cooked.

JMHO...

Edited by Kates

/end soapbox

We actually all (me, husband and eldest dd) DO have tested, official diagnoses of food allergies. But because it's not an anaphylactic response type of situation, people still don't take it seriously. I was chronically ill for YEARS before getting tested and changing my diet, and now I've fully recovered. I don't ever expect people to change their menu plans for us and bring food everywhere, but some people just don't want to deal with you if you're not doing exactly what they are. Sometimes we're not invited. Sometimes we are and then pressured to eat whatever everybody else is having (or to let the kids eat it)

MIL went so far as to tell dh we're destroying her holiday traditions because we can't eat her Christmas cookies. :banghead:

I wish it were easier. But we're finally HEALTHY - and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

I guess that was a kind of rambling way of saying I totally understand. :grouphug:

So, for someone else to tell me that I am not healthy I find funny.

I'm not telling you you aren't healthy. And people advocating a vegan diet aren't just doing it for health reasons, but environmental and moral reasons as well.

But hey, go ahead and eat some more meat if you want.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jld

I would like to see the whole world try GF :)

I am an unapologetic meat eater. But I feel that there isn't one right diet for everyone. I have great energy, mood, elimination, no skin problems, am at a wonderfully healthy weight, exceedingly healthy pregnancies. So, for someone else to tell me that I am not healthy I find funny. To each their own.

I'd like to see the world try sugar-free. I feel wonderful when I eat plenty of meat and veggies w/ few carbs and little sugar. :001_smile:

I'm not telling you you aren't healthy. And people advocating a vegan diet aren't just doing it for health reasons, but environmental and moral reasons as well.

But hey, go ahead and eat some more meat if you want.

I was trying to keep it light , as to say, we all have different ideas as to health as that to me was the point of the thread. You made a comment about how we would all be healthier if if detoxed from meat and such- I was saying I am perfectly healthy now as it is. I eat locally produced meat, raised well. Not that it makes a difference to vegans, I am sure as killing an animal is offensive to some regardless of how it lives and how it is done.

LizzyBee- Totally agree about sugar. It is the devil :) I have blood sugar issues and a low carb paleoesque diet and I feel like superwoman. I have to watch fruit even as the carbs cause my bs to crash. However, most all veggies suit me just fine and I feel better the more I eat- especially greens.

I'm not sure if the bolded portion is meant for me or for the grandparents. Just to be clear, my panties are not in a wad whatever food standard you have. I posted my opinion about testing for GI, vs. trying an elimination diet just to see. if you view it differently, so be it.

Sorry for any possible misunderstanding - the comment was directed towards my ILs and their attitudes towards us and our choices (which by the way include a complete disdain for us homeschooling our children. No matter how you slice it, we are ruining our children. :glare: I have just had to learn to pass the bean dip with them.

You know I love you Judy! :grouphug:

No, I don't think that things like celiac should be taken to the point that relationships are cut off...but I'm also not willing to compromise my child's health because someone 5 times his age can't accept that he medically can't have something that they've made. I make allowances for him to eat non-healthy foods...I even <gasp> make them myself from time to time ;) I just don't use gluten when doing so. If the grandparent doesn't care enough about the relationship to make some rather small allowances (and it is rather small - we are even willing to check ahead on the menu to bring something that looks like what everyone else is eating so he won't stand out), then the relationship is pretty one-sided, no?

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there's two sides to the issue. It's not just overprotective moms cutting their poor kids off from eating at grandma's...it's got more to do with grandma not being able to see past her own insecurities to protect her grandkids. That comes through to kids - they see it, and they may or may not understand it, but they see it. (Ds even asked us what was wrong with him that made grandma and grandpa treat him like they do. Gee, thanks, but no thanks.) Maybe, all we're asking is for the adults to man up and be adults for a short period of time and see that not everything in life revolves around whether someone can eat what they've cooked.

JMHO...

We actually all (me, husband and eldest dd) DO have tested, official diagnoses of food allergies. But because it's not an anaphylactic response type of situation, people still don't take it seriously. I was chronically ill for YEARS before getting tested and changing my diet, and now I've fully recovered. I don't ever expect people to change their menu plans for us and bring food everywhere, but some people just don't want to deal with you if you're not doing exactly what they are. Sometimes we're not invited. Sometimes we are and then pressured to eat whatever everybody else is having (or to let the kids eat it)

MIL went so far as to tell dh we're destroying her holiday traditions because we can't eat her Christmas cookies. :banghead:

I wish it were easier. But we're finally HEALTHY - and I wouldn't trade that for anything.

I guess that was a kind of rambling way of saying I totally understand. :grouphug:

Thanks! :grouphug: It's actually comforting to know others have the same issues with people in their lives who should be supportive but can't get past themselves to see someone else's perspective. We were told we were going to ruin Great-Grandma's 90th birthday if we didn't just eat what was being served to everyone else. The funny thing was that it was only MIL and FIL who had any issues. I don't know if anyone else there noticed or questioned a thing and if anyone did, I know it was a light "we have food allergies" that was said and that was it.

No, I don't think that things like celiac should be taken to the point that relationships are cut off...but I'm also not willing to compromise my child's health because someone 5 times his age can't accept that he medically can't have something that they've made.

Celiac is a dire need. That's one reason I believe in at least attempting to get a medical diagnosis if you think foods are a culprit. I hear what you're saying about your IL's, and I'm sorry they are not treating your child's condition with the consideration it deserves. It makes me wonder if they truly do understand celiac disease.

What I think bothers grandmas and others is when one person in the family determines that the whole family must go GFCF (or whatever diet), without any diagnosis. I'm sure it makes people, especially old-school grandmas, think mom is being weird, or difficult, or depriving, because it defies logic to decide all the kids and both parents can't eat all these kinds of food that they (the old-school grandparents) have always eaten, have always served and consider totally normal. If there was already tension there between MIL and DIL, it's bound to go badly.

In bringing up my own children, one skill I value is to be able to eat and accept many varieties of food; I do not think well of picky eating. Being a gracious guest in another's home is a skill, one I highly value. Thus, I would not encourage making my child's eating habits very narrow, unless it were medically imperative to do so.

Small tangent on picky eating: Once, my husband and I befriended a couple, who had us over for dinner a couple of times. We eventually wished to reciprocate and invited them over to dinner at our house. The conversation turned to the man talking about his many, many food dislikes. (Not medical, mind you, just pickiness.) He doesn't like seafood. He doesn't like beef, except hamburgers, but no cheese. He likes lasagna, but no kind of casserole. He only likes chicken breast, he eats no type of vegetable except (!) french fries. He hates tomatoes. And on and on and on. Frankly, it disgusted me. That was literally the moment in time when I determined my future children would learn to eat many foods and that pickiness would not be catered to. That friendship died soon after and, although the husband's picky eating was not the reason, it was also no card in their favor.

End tangent. Resume regular reading. :)

There seems to be, though, that there are only two options (if I'm reading right) - either have a dire need confirmed with a medical diagnosis or eat whatever is being served to you. My family being GF/DF is not a "pickiness" issue nor is it some way of inconveniencing others. It would take a lot of money and time to try and get a diagnosis, most likely of which would be pointless as intolerances are very, very hard to diagnose. We don't have an IgE allergies. There is very little a medical doctor could do to test us for intolerances. The best they could really do (and the cheapest and easiest and most noninvasive) would be to tell us to eliminate the substance and see if we feel better/improve. That is what we did and the improvement (across the board) was amazing. We have been gluten free for almost 3 1/2 years. It is not a fad nor is it a whim of mine. (I actually fought the idea for a year before doing it.) We have been dairy free as a family for 2 months and we are not sure if the boys need to continue (I'm 90% sure ds#3 is benefiting greatly; the other two are questionable). They may have dairy reintroduced to their diets. I do not mind having dairy in the house, though when I cook meals, I make the DF as I don't have the time nor energy to cook two separate meals.

My children know very well how to be gracious guests in another's house. They know how to very politely say, "We can't eat that because we have food allergies." They know what they can eat and they accept with gratitude. They are not picky eaters; they eat what keeps them healthy and know not to eat what makes them sick. They have no official medical diagnosis. They probably never will (I will not challenge gluten just to have a celiac test done that may not yield any results). But, we all know what makes us healthy and what makes us sick. Why would I purposely have us eat what makes us sick (not just physically ill - but what neurologically affects us and what emotionally affects us) to be seen as "gracious" and not picky? It is not a black-and-white issue.

I'm sorry you had such an issue with an overly picky eater (ironically a lot of times extreme pickiness is a result of unacknowledged food intolerances/allergies/sensivities). That does not mean that people who say they cannot eat "X" are automatically picky eaters. My boys are encouraged to eat whatever they are served *as long as it is safe for them to eat*. If Gramma makes something that ds#3 may not like (he's the pickiest of the three), he is expected to try it and eat some of it. We do not cater to our children's whims when it comes to food. We only cater to their dietary needs in order to make sure their food is safe. Period. All I ask of those around me is to respect that we need to make sure what we eat is safe. We are not being snobby. We are not being ungracious. We are not being difficult. We are making sure we are safe, regardless of a medical diagnosis or not. Simply respect for the choices we need to make for ourselves. Accommodate us if you wish. Allow us to bring our own food if you don't want to/can't accommodate us. But please, respect us and allow us to be a part of whatever is happening. It's really that simple.

Celiac is a dire need. That's one reason I believe in at least attempting to get a medical diagnosis if you think foods are a culprit. I hear what you're saying about your IL's, and I'm sorry they are not treating your child's condition with the consideration it deserves. It makes me wonder if they truly do understand celiac disease.

What I think bothers grandmas and others is when one person in the family determines that the whole family must go GFCF (or whatever diet), without any diagnosis. I'm sure it makes people, especially old-school grandmas, think mom is being weird, or difficult, or depriving, because it defies logic to decide all the kids and both parents can't eat all these kinds of food that they (the old-school grandparents) have always eaten, have always served and consider totally normal. If there was already tension there between MIL and DIL, it's bound to go badly.

In bringing up my own children, one skill I value is to be able to eat and accept many varieties of food; I do not think well of picky eating. Being a gracious guest in another's home is a skill, one I highly value. Thus, I would not encourage making my child's eating habits very narrow, unless it were medically imperative to do so.

Small tangent on picky eating: Once, my husband and I befriended a couple, who had us over for dinner a couple of times. We eventually wished to reciprocate and invited them over to dinner at our house. The conversation turned to the man talking about his many, many food dislikes. (Not medical, mind you, just pickiness.) He doesn't like seafood. He doesn't like beef, except hamburgers, but no cheese. He likes lasagna, but no kind of casserole. He only likes chicken breast, he eats no type of vegetable except (!) french fries. He hates tomatoes. And on and on and on. Frankly, it disgusted me. That was literally the moment in time when I determined my future children would learn to eat many foods and that pickiness would not be catered to. That friendship died soon after and, although the husband's picky eating was not the reason, it was also no card in their favor.

End tangent. Resume regular reading. :)

Just jumping in the conversation here. . .

This matter is in my life for several reasons: My son cannot have milk; I care each week for cousins who are healthy but are very picky eaters, and whose parents jump on all the latest fad diet concerns and it drives me nuts; my sister has a firm diagnosis of celiac and has been living with it for years; and I am currently on a very restricted diet for six months (hopefully no longer) to address health concerns.

I am completely sympathetic to your experience with your picky eater friend. My ongoing experiences with my cousins are just like this, and it drives me really nuts. For years their parents insisted on being dairy-free. Now, however, all the kids drink regular milk and are totally fine with it. Right now their parents are on the gluten-free bandwagon. Arguing the matter or discussing it is pointless. I care for these children (and cook for them) each week--I just roll with whatever the latest new food rules are and grumble about it privately to my dh.

However, I can tell you that getting a real diagnosis for food issues can be very, very difficult, time-consuming, and expensive. It took my sister many years to get a celiac diagnosis (7-8????). In the process she lost her gallbladder (a common side effect of untreated celiac). I have also had my son tested numerous times (I have great insurance and wanted to get to the bottom of this). He is not allergic to milk, according to the tests, but we know he cannot have milk because of the terrible stomach aches he gets when he accidentally has milk products. On one occasion he ate candied popcorn at a friend's house, not knowing there was cream in the candy coating. My poor little guy was in severe pain for three days. There is no question at all what causes the problem (milk) but all the testing I have had done cannot tell us WHY it causes the problem. Therefore we do not have a firm diagnosis, even after thousands of dollars of testing over years and clear proof that my ds cannot digest milk.

The bottom line is that testing for allergies and intolerances is just not a very good measure of what is going on. It's quite frustrating.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/09/16/health/16chen.html?_r=2&emc=tnt&tntemail1=y

There is definitely a shift in medical schools from learning about nutrition to simply dosing with pharmaceuticals. It is a widespread issue, especially in the US.

It would take a lot of money and time to try and get a diagnosis, most likely of which would be pointless as intolerances are very, very hard to diagnose. We don't have an IgE allergies. There is very little a medical doctor could do to test us for intolerances. The best they could really do (and the cheapest and easiest and most noninvasive) would be to tell us to eliminate the substance and see if we feel better/improve.

I tend to look at this from the opposite direction; I had a celiac panel done on my son and also two different types of allergy testing; after those came back negative, I went on the arduous food elimination task. To me, it seems the most logical to go from the medical route first. Not all doctors are unwilling to hear a word about foods causing problems. My pediatrician went very willingly along with everything I wanted to try, even reassured me that nothing dire would happen if ds didn't drink cows milk, reasoning that many cultures of the world survive perfectly well without it.

However, I can tell you that getting a real diagnosis for food issues can be very, very difficult, time-consuming, and expensive

This seems like the opposite of my experience: it was special diets that were very, very difficult, time-consuming and even, in a way, expensive. Having a little blood drawn was quite easy by comparison. My son could have a "bad" day just as easily with X food removed as he could have a bad day before we started the challenge. Then it was, "Maybe it's because he missed his nap...he's cutting teeth...he was sick yesterday..." There were too many variables and no clear-cut, dramatic change that I'm always hearing about.

I could say more, but I'm outta time.

You know what I find funny? We have a lot of friends who are GF -- some who are vegan. I find that those people are the LEAST picky eaters of anyone I know. Being so limited and not being able to eat all of the junk food out there seems to have broadened their tastes.

I took care of some GF kids for the day, and they ate anything they were allowed to. They were happy to just eat a whole tomato.

There are far more foods in the world that do not have gluten than those that do (I'm talking real foods). I find it funny when people act like there's nothing to serve people who cannot eat processed foods or wheat. They also have to experiment with other grains and flours like garbanzo bean, almond, potato, etc.

Thinking of older people, I find they happily adapt to one food: Splenda. I've known many diabetic older people who are stuck in their food ways, but they whole-heartedly welcomed Splenda. "Look -- fruit sweetened with Splenda. Jelly with Splenda."

Don't they know that fruit and jelly don't need to be sweetened with sugar?

My children know very well how to be gracious guests in another's house. They know how to very politely say, "We can't eat that because we have food allergies." They know what they can eat and they accept with gratitude. They are not picky eaters; they eat what keeps them healthy and know not to eat what makes them sick.

But you can be intolerant to gluten but not have celiac. There isn't a test for everything.

I tend to look at this from the opposite direction; I had a celiac panel done on my son and also two different types of allergy testing; after those came back negative, I went on the arduous food elimination task. To me, it seems the most logical to go from the medical route first. Not all doctors are unwilling to hear a word about foods causing problems. My pediatrician went very willingly along with everything I wanted to try, even reassured me that nothing dire would happen if ds didn't drink cows milk, reasoning that many cultures of the world survive perfectly well without it.

This seems like the opposite of my experience: it was special diets that were very, very difficult, time-consuming and even, in a way, expensive. Having a little blood drawn was quite easy by comparison. My son could have a "bad" day just as easily with X food removed as he could have a bad day before we started the challenge. Then it was, "Maybe it's because he missed his nap...he's cutting teeth...he was sick yesterday..." There were too many variables and no clear-cut, dramatic change that I'm always hearing about.

You are fortunate that your medical testing was not arduous or expensive. My experience with my son has been much the opposite, not only for his milk intolerance, but also his seasonal allergies. He definitely has fall allergies, but two rounds of scratch testing have not shown what he is allergic to. (I will not test him anymore--we just treat with an allergy med cocktail for two months in the fall.) I also mentioned in my earlier post that my sister had to undergo years of testing and illness before her celiac was diagnosed (both the blood panel and the biopsy). Years, including a surgery that might not have been necessary if she had been diagnosed earlier. The end conclusion for me has been frustration and the knowledge that medical testing is limited.

I just wanted to jump in here too because I wanted to get some clarification on what you're saying. If your son's tests came back negative but the elimination diet showed some improvement, would you have stayed GF? I'm just trying to understand if you are saying that getting a diagnosis trumps the elimination diet regardless of the results?

I guess I'm seeing it as if you have a cut on your hand. You can go to the Dr. and they can confirm that is indeed a cut and tell you to put a bandaid on it, or you can put a bandaid on it yourself. The results are going to be the same whether or not you get a Dr's diagnosis, yk?

I gave up sugar on the day after Labor day and I gave up all grains a month ago as part of doing the Primal Blueprint challenge.

At first, I had a really rough time with Candida die-off. I broke out in a rash, got a yeast infection, cold sores, had sore throat, boils, low energy, etc. I endured a horrible week and a half of something different popping up and then stopping and something else going every few hours. At one point, I had a crazy sunburn pattern identical to one I had this summer reappear without the heat! Then everything stopped just about as suddenly as it started.

However, it has been a magic pill for me:

Absolutely no IBS/GERD/Acid Reflux symptoms which I had suffered with for years. I don't even fart anymore! The only IBS I've had is when I accidently ate something with flour/gluten in it. Years and years of crying on the toilet several times a week have just stopped. Years of being embarassed because I couldn't control my farting just vanished.

I had a callous on my elbow from leaning on it and a callous on my ankle (from sitting on it too much). The one on the elbow just disappeared (no creams, etc.) and the one on my ankle is almost gone and it's been there years.

I am due to start my period this week and I'm having no PMS symptoms at all. Usually this is my worst.

My seasonal allergies are not bothering me. Usually I'm worthless in October.

My tinnitus has only bothered me once or twice and not lately. Usually I will have the ringing several times a week.

My mood is so much more stable. My kids moods are much more stable. My daughter is a completely new child. I've written about how strained our relationship has always been and how much easier things were with my son. It so happens my daughter is a carb-o-holic that doesn't eat meat. We got to start eating eggs and changed pasta and breads to gluten-free or sourdough version. It's been an

amazing change in her and change in me. I've always been kind of hot-tempered, had horrible mood swings, and usually I can't go 3 hours without eating or I'll become a real "b word". Now I if have to skip a meal and not even notice.

My hair is looking gorgeous. It's so shiny and soft and manageable.

My skin is clearing up -for past few years it's been looking very pink/red -not exactly a rash but just annoying looking.

No weekly migraines.

Energy levels increasing!

Oh and I've lost 8 pounds since going grainless (18 since going sugarless).

just wanted to jump in here too because I wanted to get some clarification on what you're saying. If your son's tests came back negative but the elimination diet showed some improvement, would you have stayed GF? I'm just trying to understand if you are saying that getting a diagnosis trumps the elimination diet regardless of the results?

I guess I'm seeing it as if you have a cut on your hand. You can go to the Dr. and they can confirm that is indeed a cut and tell you to put a bandaid on it, or you can put a bandaid on it yourself. The results are going to be the same whether or not you get a Dr's diagnosis, yk?

Of course. My son had a ton of issues and I was on a mission to resolve them. Gluten isn't the only food I tested, either. If I had seen obvious evidence that any food or foods were making him flip out, I would have removed that from his diet for...ever, I guess. But it's much easier (well, for me it was) to have some blood tests run than to go through the diet. If the celiac panel had come back positive, there would be no need to question it, or to mess around with ten other suspect foods. It would also be easier, from the social standpoint, to tell Grandma he was diagnosed with a disease and cannot eat her cookies, than to just say he "seems better" without gluten.

I disagree about the cut-on-your-hand analogy. There's no ambiguity as to whether or not you have a cut on your hand; it doesn't take a doctor to confirm that, indeed, that is a cut on your hand. Eliminating a food is filled with ambiguity, especially if the child who's experiencing the diet is 3 years old. It's hard to be sure that any given behavior is at all related to a food being, or not being present in their diet. I remember one day when I was testing my son back milk, after having been off it for a month. He had a dramatic flip-out about something and was laying on the floor kicking and screaming his head off. "Wow!" I said. "Is that because I gave him back milk?" But I continued to give him back milk and nothing else coincided like that. It went like that with every food. He had bad days and good days, just like when he was eating any foods. I concluded that there was no night-and-day difference that I could, without a doubt, pin on any category of food.

Congrats Aunt Pol! It is great that you've seen so many positive changes. I can relate especially to the loss of seasonal allergies. For years I've dealt with horribly itchy eyes during early spring, late summer, and early fall. This year I haven't had any itching at all.

I don't think Primal Blueprint has been mentioned yet on this thread, so I'll add a couple links. I'll admit that the website can seem a bit infomercial-ish, and they sometimes get a scientific detail slightly wrong, but on the whole it is solid information.

Primal Blueprint 101 (articles)

Mark's Daily Apple (blog)

The Primal Blueprint (book)

The Primal Blueprint Cookbook (book)

Mark Sisson, the creator of the website and book, doesn't advocate a strict GF or grain-free diet for everyone, but his suggestions are compatible with a GF or grain-free diet. His blog and books are a great way to figure out what a GF diet could look like if you can't afford or don't want to consume gluten substitute foods that are highly processed and/or of dubious nutritional quality.

Most of the content of The Primal Blueprint book can be found on the Primal Blueprint 101 page, so don't worry if you are curious but can't buy or borrow the book.