Menu

Book on Classical Education for Newbie Homeschoolers

What is a good reference book to introduce/explain the concept of classical education to newbie homeschoolers?

I'm thinking along the lines of something about the length of Susan Schaeffer Macaulay's "For the Children's Sake" which is approximately 166 pages long.

Thank you!

Yes! This is a great simplified book. The Latin Centered Curriculum really explains the curriculum with details of how and why different aspects are important. I think the Well Trained Mind is great too, but only after one has read about and understands the basics of Classical education.

The Latin Centered Curriculum by Andrew Campbell would be my first suggestion.

I'd go for the first few chapters of WTM. That's what convinced us. Then, once we were convinced, we had the nuts and bolts in the rest of the book.

I'd also strongly recommend Susan Wise Bauer's audio lecture "The Joy of Classical Education." This gives a great and encouraging intro, with the logic and experience behind it.

Classical Trivium Education:

1. Lost Tools of Learning by Dorothy Sayers (google it)

2. TWTM by the Bauers

3. Teaching the Trivium by the Bluedorns (good for a very conservative fundamentalist Christian audience)

Classical Mentor Model of Education:

A Thomas Jefferson Education by DeMille

Classical Living Books Education:

Anything by Charlotte Mason

Principle Approach of Classical Education:

1. Education of James Madison: A Model for Today by Swanson

2. Teaching and Learning America's Christian History by Slater

Yes! This is a great simplified book. The Latin Centered Curriculum really explains the curriculum with details of how and why different aspects are important. I think the Well Trained Mind is great too, but only after one has read about and understands the basics of Classical education.

I've had a couple of friends read this and be incredibly turned off to the idea of classical ed, actually. It might be a little too pared down for some people.

I definitely recommend the WTM. When I first decided to homeschool, I read every book in our library on homeschooling. I kid you not; I ended up with a serious case of eye strain. Reading the WTM spoke to me. It was what I wanted for my children and presented in a way I felt was doable.

After the WTM, I would recommend a book that goes more in depth about the philosophy behind a classical education but for a mom just starting out I think the WTM is perfect.

I've had a couple of friends read this and be incredibly turned off to the idea of classical ed, actually. It might be a little too pared down for some people.

Yeah, I wouldn't say that LCC is a "first" book. I think it could come across as too extreme to a lot of people. I'd suggest just reading the relevant parts of TWTM.

Tara

Edited by TaraTheLiberator

I actually found TWTM sort of overwhelming and too too much when I first read it. The scope and sequence sounded SO rigid!

Of course, there ARE more flexible ways to homeschool classically :).

Teaching the Trivium is a great book, and much more flexible/relaxed, particularly for young children. Their introductory sections are actually the BEST introduction to the WHY of homeschooling for Christians.

BUT it is big :). I haven't found a short one yet, but I haven't read The Core, which looks good.

• 2 weeks later...