Menu

A disturbing article about bullying

1 Ohio School, 4 Bullied Teens

*warning - this is highly disturbing

What is going on in this world? When I was in school, there were a few bullies. Yeah, they stunk, but it was nothing so severe that would elicit this kind of reaction. And no one who would continuously taunt kids until it was this unreasonable. And there were always more that came to the rescue than who might have done the bullying. In this article, this school is in a town of a paltry 50,000 people. What kind of people do this sort of thing, and why does there seem to be so many with no regard for their fellow human? I'm baffled by this, and a bit more than discouraged for the next generation. I know our parent said the same thing, and so did their parents, but were the circumstances really the same?

the end result of a century of extending childhood way beyond its normal duration. It's essentially childish behavior, taken to the extreme.

What kind of person would actually hide tiny cameras around a dorm room in order to "catch" his roommate kissing (or being intimate in some other way) another young man, then broadcast it on the internet?? What kind of person continually torments another? It happens when bored, unoccupied childish adults are looking for some entertainment.

I really don't see how any "intervention" can ever cure this kind of thing. The longer our culture continues to keep kids and adults artificially in a state of childhood, the more of this we will see.

I just read this exact article and it is very disturbing! Surely someone in authority at the school witnessed some of this stuff. What about the math teacher? We have crazy policies against young children who bring "weapons" to school. What about some type of disciplinary action against students who engage in this type of behavior? Suspension and if it continues then expulsion. Perhaps they should have a 3 strikes you're out policy on bullying. Don't they have video cameras throughout schools these days? Hall monitors? If so, it shouldn't be too hard to get evidence against the offender.

Something has GOT to be done about all this bullying! Can you "hear" the anguish in some of the parents comments when they say, "I made them go to school." I'm sorry, but if my dc had to take stomach medicine every day to go to school, I would find an alternative PDQ!! :confused:

Laura, I came across this article today too, and it has been on my mind since reading it. Like you, I'm asking the same questions... why is this so bad now? What has changed? How can this be fixed? My heart breaks for the kids in the article and for their families. My heart breaks for the children who are currentlly struggling with this on a daily basis.

As a former teacher, I have witnessed bullying; I have brought it to the administration, and I have watched them sweep it under a rug... repeatedly. This is all despite NO TOLERANCE policies. As a staff member, I became essentially powerless because it was in the hands of the higher-ups. All I could do was provide a safe refuge for some students by allowing them to come to my room during their lunch "to do extra work". I still cannot comprehend how so many schools are allowing this type of behavior to continue.

Sadly, the technology that children/teens have access to now only exacerbates the bullying behaviors. I don't know how to fix it, or if we can, because I worry that this is just the moral state of our society as a whole.

The schools do NOTHING! I mean nothing. Unless it's blame the victim.

We've been there - done that. Our kids will NOT ever set foot in a public school again. Yes, we've made provisions in case DH and I leave the world before they are over school age. It's that serious.

My brother tried to hang himself in a middle school bathroom over twenty years ago and it's gotten worse and yet they do nothing but create 'no tolerance bullying policies' that look good on paper but they do not enforce.

I will NOT subject my children to such inhumane treatment. I will go Bus Dad on someone. The schools should be sued.

Some of the comments were really horrifying too. Who can read an article like that and then blame the victims? How can a school have something like this happen even once and not take a serious look at bullying and what they should be doing to make school a safer place? Yet this school has had four suicides linked to bullying in just a few years, and it sounds like they're doing nothing.

This is one of the many reasons we homeschool. No one should have to be subjected to that type of treatment day after day. As adults we can choose to avoid situations like that - or at least not return day after day. Kids deserve that too.

Some of the comments were really horrifying too. .

I waded through some of them, too. And yes, many of them were ridiculous - possibly indicative of who might be raising these kids with little regard for human life? But still others who meant well...rebutting with violence (possibly a flippant first thought, but maybe not one that needs to be attached to the bottom of an article like that, kwim?)

Sigh.

That's why I'm glad for this forum. I wanted to have some intelligent input.

I read this article tonight too and was really horrified. I don't remember it being this bad for anyone in high school. I mean it wasn't wonderful, but suicide?? It is just awful to me--and my high school life wasn't idyllic! I have to attribute some of it to a lack of accountability. Parents not holding the bullies responsible for their actions. There are too many parents siding with their kids when they are truly guilty of something. If I did something wrong as a kid my mom nailed me to the wall. Not literally of course, but wow, I never wanted to cross her because I knew I would be in so much trouble. She held me accountable for my actions. It doesn't seem to me that this is happening as much today.

A delicate question here and someone mentioned it already - the parents. How responsible are they for allowing it to go on and on and on? Do you think they didn't know the extent or felt it was the school's job alone or were unaware of other options like homeschooling or ?? I don't want to be insensitive to them, but I do wonder. I would place the blame on myself forever if it was my child.

On the topic of bullying, I found this video to be very thought-provoking. It's part of the "It Gets Better" project, aimed at LGBTQ kids who are being bullied. The theory of the project is "hang in there, it gets better". There are many videos, but this one raised a lot of complex issues.

On the topic of bullying, I found this video to be very thought-provoking. It's part of the "It Gets Better" project, aimed at LGBTQ kids who are being bullied. The theory of the project is "hang in there, it gets better". There are many videos, but this one raised a lot of complex issues.

The message is so true and accurate, but not just for LGBTQ kids - for anyone.

This "bullying" thing (why do I hate that term? It seems so juvenile considering the gravity of the behavior) is so wide spread that it is affecting anyone who is not as "perfect" as the "bullies" themselves. So, pretty much anyone is susceptible; a kid with allergies, a kid with glasses, a kid who is artistic, a kid who has a disability, a kid who doesn't have the coolest phone, a kid whose pants are too short, a kid whose coat has a hole, a kid who has an accent, a kid who has a different faith, a kid who likes the "wrong" people...the list doesn't seem to have an end. The whole thing is sad.

I interpreted at a public event for the anti-bullying expert Barbara Coloroso quoted at the end of that article. It was a couple of years ago now but at that time, she said that the youngest victim to commit suicide b/c of bullying was 6 years old. 6 -- just a wee little thing.

I'm speechless. Absolutely speechless.