Menu

Doctor's Office / Insurance Question

I was trying to make a doctor's appointment as a new patient. The lady was taking my information and asked for my SSN. I told her that I didn't give out my SSN over the phone, but I would give it when I had my appointment. I was then told that the would not file insurance if I did not give them my SSN now, and that I would have to pay in full at time of service. I ended up not making an appointment at all.

Is this normal? I haven't been a new patient anywhere in several years, so things may have changed.

I don't give my SSN out over the phone either. If they weren't too rude about it, I would just go ahead and make the appointment and provide the insurance info when I got there in person. Other wise, I'm like you and would find a different office with which to do business.

I did have a funny case where one medical provider demanded my minor daughter's SSN as part of their info for their file. I never fill that in for my minor children on the forms. When they insisted they HAD to have it, we just walked out. Sometime I think they just collect information in case they need it someday, but I don't hand over SSNs lightly.

I've never been asked for my SSN ahead of a doctor's appointment.

OTOH, I'm more likely to give out info if I've initiated the call. I won;t give out any info if the call comes in.

In this case I wouldn't have given it because if I changed my mind about going for any reason, they would have my number anyway.

I wouldn't have made the appointment either.

Does your insurance actually use your SSN? Mine doesn't, so I would see absolutely no point in providing it to them over the phone (and I actually avoid providing it on forms in person too).

I just had my first appointment with a new dr. I had to give my SSN, but not over the phone. They did ask me for all kinds of ID before I went in for my appt, however.

I think they are having to be extra careful because of identity theft, and also because too many people were using other people's insurance cards, with or without their permission.

One of my best friends is a nurse administrator in a hospital. She said they have had to start asking for SSN due to identity fraud that was costing the hospital thousands. People were coming in with insurance cards and claiming to not have drivers license or such with them. Later when the insurance went thru, the hospital gets a call from someone saying that wasn't them at the appt/ER/and such. It messes up medical records and sicne it was a fraudulent visit, the hospital can't charge anyone for the care received. She said that now they keep the SSN on hand because the insurance company will occassionally ask for it as part of their fraud prevention when billed or asked to preauthorize a visit.

Thank you all for your replies. I have some more information. This doctor's office is using the SSN for credit checks as well as cross referencing insurance before the appointment. They have been stuck with many non-payments, and have had to resort to these measures. I still am not comfortable giving my SSN over the phone. They are firm that if I don't, I will be a cash before service patient. I fill out the paper work there and get a refund when the insurance goes through.

I am really bummed over this. I have been searching for a naturopath for some time, and this was the first accepting new patients. I may still end up making an appointment because the doc is highly recommended and I can see their point. I have a problem with the way want so much personal information over a phone call.

Edited by Bradford Academy
can't spell

Thank you all for your replies. I have some more information. This doctor's office is using the SSN for credit checks as well as cross referencing insurance before the appointment. They have been stuck with many non-payments, and have had to resort to these measures. I still am not comfortable giving my SSN over the phone. They are firm that if I don't, I will be a cash before service patient. I fill out the paper work there and get a refund when the insurance goes through.

I am really bummed over this. I have been searching for a naturopath for some time, and this was the first accepting new patients. I may still end up making an appointment because the doc is highly recommended and I can see their point. I have a problem with the way want so much personal information over a phone call.

Credit checks? Seriously? I would find another doctor. If you have insurance, why would a credit check be necessary?

If you have insurance, why would a credit check be necessary?
Insurance doesn't pay for everything. You can have insurance and still end up owing the doctor lots of money.

I don't give out my ss#. I've never been asked, and I leave it blank on the paperwork.

We recently chose a local doctor. When I called to make the appointments I was informed that I had to provide SSN for ALL patients. I've never given out my children's before. However, we did have to provide those numbers to enroll the children in the insurance, and the insurance company is now requiring the providers verify that number before authorizing benefits. I don't like it, but what am I going to do? I can't pay for all care and wait for reimbursement myself. Also, the physician office photocopied my DL to file in my and my children's charts. That way they can identify me by my photo when I come in for myself or my children.

On one hand I understand they need to enact policy to prevent fraud. On the other hand, they have a TON of information on me. All they need is my fingerprints, and a hair with an attached follicle. :glare:

I have no issues with giving out my ss # to a health practioner if I called them except that they don't need mine, they need my husband's. Everything is filed with his and I had so many problems with one lab in FL that kept filing under my ssn and it was always denied since I am not the military member.