Menu

Want to learn how to sew and knit.

Where should I start? Well I know how to do the basics of sewing, but with knitting, I am at a loss. My mom has some crocheting things, should I just start with that instead? I am interested in knitting/crocheting and sewing many things, but I want to learn the basics and then build on from there.

Any suggestions?

I found the book Kids knit in the children's section of my library to be helpful in learning to cast on, knit and purl.

From there, I like the book Visually Knitting. I also love these sites:

Learn How to Knit

Knitpicks on Youtube

And

Knitpicks nice tutorials.

Hope this helps. Also you may want to check out your local knit shop and see about classes or just hang out and talk. Eventually, you will get all sorts of nice tips.:001_smile:

I ditto the knitting videos on YouTube. I like having a book to refer to, though, and the books repeatedly recommended to me were both of the Stitch 'n B*tch books. I started with crochet and then went onto knitting. I liked crochet first because I found repairing crochet mistakes much easier than knitting. Now I do both, but am much more confident crocheting.

I would also suggest you sign up for a ravelry account (ravelry.com). The forum users and Q&A sections are really helpful.

Guest TheBugsMom

This is a great book on teaching you to knit

http://www.amazon.com/First-Knits-Kate-Haxell/dp/1564775607/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1286305239&sr=1-1

Has great projects also.

As for sewing, are you thinking of hand sewing or machine sewing?

Machine sewing probably could be learned from a sewing class.

Hand sewing you can probably get some good teaching videos on you tube. Maybe even machine sewing. I guess knitting videos might nelp too, but I found some of the ladies showing you how to knit go to fast. I have used videos for knitting though if I get stuck or need to see an actual technique being done so it does have it's uses.

Another vote for youtube. I taught myself with the different videos there and can replay them over and over again--I'm slow learner lol. Best of all its FREE. I can make scarfs, and hats, just started my first hat with double-pointed needles. There are just as many videos on how to sew, currently trying to make my girls jammie pants. Have fun.

I don't know anything about knitting, but I'm teaching myself sewing as well. YouTube has videos for anything imaginable! I found some great ones on there for hemming jeans (I'm a real beginner! :blushing: ).

My favorite sewing forum: http://sewingmamas.com/b/

My fav how to series: http://esewingworkshop.com/ she has either a membership plan or dvds.