Menu

would someone share with me...

I don't know much about it, having only dabbled a bit, but I can tell you that what is written on the bottle doesn't work for everyone! Lavender is supposed to make you relax and sleep, I like it, but it irritates me on some level and definitely does not make me sleep! Majorum does that for me. Sniffing something you don't like the smell of won't give you the benefits.

Some oils retain their scent longer than others. Some oils can be used topically, some shouldn't be. Some should be avoided by people with various ailments, but from what I have read, that's topical use, and using it in an oil burner won't be a problem. I'm not certain about that though.

Rosie

I've tried the lavender and although I like it, I don't think it sends me to sleep. I did, however, read somewhere about a trial done in an old-folks-home where they compared lavendar and sleeping pills and the lavendar won!

I use them sometimes, mainly for the enjoyment of the lovely scent than for any real useful purpose.

Min

I was told to go "test" them first. That some scents can bring back memories for your body that might not be what you were expecting. If you don't like the way it smells, or it gives you a headache, don't buy it.

So, I went to central market and sniffed what they had available.

You need a carrier oil if you are going to use it topically. Or you could use an oil diffuser. I use mine in bath water.

I was told by a massage therapist to use eucalyptus or mint (or a combo) to combat a headache. She said to rub a couple drops on my temples, also could be used behind the ear.

HTH

From a Western standpoint, I think the aromatic oil stimuli are supposed to go on a short-track route to the brain through the olfactory system and to trigger certain specific healing effects. From an Eastern perspective, I think they focus on the energetic vibrations of the various oils and how that integrates with that of the patient.

Straight oils can be irritating to the skin or even toxic so they are almost always diluted with larger amounts of a carrier oil such as almond. Both the oil and the carrier can trigger allergies, so be aware of this.

Although I don't understand it all, apparently there is something to it. A couple of years back a large research corporation was hired by a group of major retailers to identify which scents would cause customers to be most likely to buy. IIRC, baby powder and pine scents were the winners. They use them in very small amounts, almost undetectable to the average person, but they pump them through the stores to increase sales.

I've been using oils in a diffuser (I think that's what it's called) for years when we have colds, sinus, bad coughs with great success.

I would suggest you check www.mountainroseherbs.com

They have a very helpful section on oils, a list of what is safe to use in what ways, and what is not safe. Some people can be allergic to some oils. I wish you success in exploring the world of oils, it's fun. And it works.

I've been using oils in a diffuser (I think that's what it's called) for years when we have colds, sinus, bad coughs with great success.

I would suggest you check www.mountainroseherbs.com

They have a very helpful section on oils, a list of what is safe to use in what ways, and what is not safe. Some people can be allergic to some oils. I wish you success in exploring the world of oils, it's fun. And it works.

I just checked out the web site...and it is cool! Thanks.

That's cool. I'd be interested in knowing what oils you used and if you don't mind sharing, what you were using them for and what your results were.

In the past I used nature's sunshine products sometimes, their oils.

There was one particular combination of oils that helped us for cough and sinus issues. I don't know that much about pyramid companies, but it is a pyramid company, in marketing. Oh well, I don't want to go into that here but there was one ingredient that they quit listing because it was sort of a "secret" ingredient and very expensive to buy alone. One of their sellers told me this and showed me the old ingredients list and then the new ingredients list.

Anyway! Some of the oils we use, mixed, are peppermint, geranium and rosemary. We use it also as a general air freshener and it works great when we show the house.

Peppermint oil can be used to deter mice and ants. I'm sorry, but it burns their little feet.

Using oils in full strength on the skin is not advised for the most part.:cheers2:

I had a "natural" practitioner create a blend for me. It took about 30 minutes of smelling different essential oils to find ones that worked and then another 30 minutes to come up with the right blend. I tell you, this blend worked. I felt an instant calm and clarity whenever I smelled it. My kids learned to spray it near me when I was getting agitated. The hard part was remembering to use it. I know my mix had ylang ylang, bergamot, grapefruit, neroli and sandalwood. I think I could use some of my "happy spray" right now:).