Menu

Wanna start a walking club?

This is for all of you who, like me, think a lot about getting exercise... and that's about it :). Walking is an acceptable amount of exercise in my book - I'm not into running, biking, aerobics, dancing, and other things that make my heart hurt and where I break into a sweat. I do like yoga, though, but haven't done that in, well, a while.

I want to commit to walking 3 miles every day. I did it this morning and it took about 45 minutes, and I feel great (and the backs of my thighs are a little sore). During the autumn months, walking outside is good. I can walk at the Y when the kids are doing their things. I want to buy a treadmill for those days when we don't get out. I even have some little 3# weights to carry (although, I never have used them). I think if maybe I had some support group where we check in and log how far we walked, I'd be more apt to do it.

So, are there any others like me out there? Would you feel more inclined to get some exercise in if it was just walking and if you had a place to report what you did for the day or week? Anyone want to join me? The only one who is willing to egg me on here is the dog.

I recently changed routines and made walking my primary exercise. my goal is 3 weekday mornings 3.5+miles. I haven't done less than 4. Then one long walk on the weekend. I've also added squats, lunges, planks and crunches to the weekday walks, stopping every mile to put in a couple of sets.

I have a funny motivator. If you have a ds this might help you. My dh gave me a walking game for ds. I carry the pedometer all day. And it records into the ds. It's not much of a game. It's fun to see my walks electronically charted and pretty graphs though. Yes, I could do this on my own, but I won't. And boy I am upset with myself if I don't make my step count. So, I have to be really exhausted to press snooze.

I recently changed routines and made walking my primary exercise. my goal is 3 weekday mornings 3.5+miles. I haven't done less than 4. Then one long walk on the weekend. I've also added squats, lunges, planks and crunches to the weekday walks, stopping every mile to put in a couple of sets.

I have a funny motivator. If you have a ds this might help you. My dh gave me a walking game for ds. I carry the pedometer all day. And it records into the ds. It's not much of a game. It's fun to see my walks electronically charted and pretty graphs though. Yes, I could do this on my own, but I won't. And boy I am upset with myself if I don't make my step count. So, I have to be really exhausted to press snooze.

I think I could handle a few squats and lunges along the way :). Great idea (and one I honestly wouldn't have thought of on my own).

I don't have a DS, but I think I am going to get a pedometer. They are pretty inexpensive, and I bet it would be motivating and a good way to keep track of how far I am actually walking.

Guest TheBugsMom

Count me in. I recently met my goal of 10,000 steps a day on daily basis so I am upping my steps to 12,500 a day. I did buy a pedometer and this helps me a great deal. I keeps me moving throughout the day.

I try to get in a 2-3 mile walk every afternoon and would feel like the accountability will keep me going if I get lazy and try to talk myself out of walking for the day.

I'd like to join, too, but I don't know if I can commit to 3 miles a day. The baby is almost 8 months. She's good, but there are days....

Any amount would be good if it means getting up and getting it done. I just picked three because usually I would do two and call it :tongue_smilie:. But three felt good to me today. We should each pick a personal goal and consider how much time we each have in which to get it done and share what it is. Some people might just have the time or energy for just 1 mile, and that's better than no miles!

Guest Dulcimeramy
Would it work if we started a "Walking Club 9/20-9/27" thread and posted daily, then started a new thread each Monday?

This sounds perfect to me! I'm ready to start tomorrow :001_smile:

Count me in. I recently met my goal of 10,000 steps a day on daily basis so I am upping my steps to 12,500 a day. I did buy a pedometer and this helps me a great deal. I keeps me moving throughout the day.

I try to get in a 2-3 mile walk every afternoon and would feel like the accountability will keep me going if I get lazy and try to talk myself out of walking for the day.

I have a pedometer somewhere and you are inspiring me to give it another try. Have you found it true that 5 miles = 10,000 steps?

Guest TheBugsMom
This sounds perfect to me! I'm ready to start tomorrow :001_smile:

I have a pedometer somewhere and you are inspiring me to give it another try. Have you found it true that 5 miles = 10,000 steps?

:lol:Here I am thinking I am walking about 2-3 miles a day. I never check the miles on my pedometer, but today I checked. I walked a little over 10,000 steps and that was just shy of 5 miles (something like 4.8miles). I never calibrated my pedometer for steps to miles so this could be off.

Anyway, I walked my steps today (12,500+)and I still have lots of daylight left. I think its because I don't want to slack up now that I have to report in.

Count me in! This is coming at a good time. A dear friend and I are embarking on a weight loss mission, and I desperately need the accountability.

I know that I feel so much better when I exercise, yet it's something I dread doing beforehand. This will help get me motivated.

I am going to try to do every morning, but on co-op day, I just don't know if I can drag myself out of bed early enough. I'm just not a morning person. :tongue_smilie: But I promise to make an effort!

:lol:Here I am thinking I am walking about 2-3 miles a day. I never check the miles on my pedometer, but today I checked. I walked a little over 10,000 steps and that was just shy of 5 miles (something like 4.8miles). I never calibrated my pedometer for steps to miles so this could be off.

Anyway, I walked my steps today (12,500+)and I still have lots of daylight left. I think its because I don't want to slack up now that I have to report in.

This is really interesting to me. I just bought a pedometer today. Are you wearing it all day? Is your 12500 steps cumulative for the day, including your purposeful walking?

Guest TheBugsMom
This is really interesting to me. I just bought a pedometer today. Are you wearing it all day? Is your 12500 steps cumulative for the day, including your purposeful walking?

Yes, I put it on when I first get up and try to get 5000 steps for normal activity. I then go for my walk in the evening. The route I take gives me the needed 7500 steps.

The hardest part are the first 5000 steps. Normal daily household life does not get it. I make sure when I'm on the phone I walk around. I try to minimalize my sitting. I will go outside and walk the perimeter of my property, walk to different rooms of the house, pace while I cook, just keep moving. If I go out, I park the farthest from the doors. My kids think I'm weird because if I don't get the needed steps for the day I will pace the living room at night till I get to my goal.

Me too! I already walk most days, now it has cooled down *slightly*; I walk weekdays most every night along the corniche after dropping off the kids at the mosque for class; weekends since dh is home I leave them and take a short walk along the beach just before sunset.

With both I'm not really counting distance, more time; I listen to a podcast that lasts abt 45-1 hr, so when that finishes, I'm finished. I'd like to get recommendations for podcasts -- I don't listen to much music, I like to listen to newsy-comedy things, like Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, but I'm open to other things as well.