Menu

If you used a toddler bed

It depends on the child. If they didn't need to move because of a younger sibling, I kept them in it as late as 5 years because of lack of space. But one of our kids skipped it all together and went from crib to bottom bunk (with a rail) at just under 2 years old. He was pretty attached to the crib, so it was a hard move for him. (This particular child never tried to climb out).

If you have the room & money, and the child is asking for one, you could move them sooner or skip the toddler bed altogether.

If they are fine with the toddler bed & space is an issue, you could wait until they outgrow it (their feet hit the bottom of it).

Thanks for the replies! Here's another question. Would you consider a "loft bed" safe for an about to turn 5 year old? It is NOT as high as a standard bunk bed. It's pretty much just high enough for an adult to sit under. It's got a good sturdy guard rail so I'm not worried about falling out while sleeping but more about getting hurt while climbing on or off or playing! But it looks really cool, and the underside is big enough to put another bed in if you wanted- but I thought it would make a REALLY cool play/fort area, like if we hang a sheet or some such.

I found it on Craigs List and I love it! I spoke to the seller and it was still available so I made arrangements to go on Wednesday morning.

What do you guys think?

Thanks for the replies! Here's another question. Would you consider a "loft bed" safe for an about to turn 5 year old? It is NOT as high as a standard bunk bed. It's pretty much just high enough for an adult to sit under. It's got a good sturdy guard rail so I'm not worried about falling out while sleeping but more about getting hurt while climbing on or off or playing! But it looks really cool, and the underside is big enough to put another bed in if you wanted- but I thought it would make a REALLY cool play/fort area, like if we hang a sheet or some such.

I found it on Craigs List and I love it! I spoke to the seller and it was still available so I made arrangements to go on Wednesday morning.

What do you guys think?

Yes.

My oldest got a loft bed when he turned 3: he could go up and down the ladder fine when half-asleep (we checked). I have to admit to covering the floor beneath the ladder with every spare pillow in the house for the first week, though. :001_smile:

Ds was in a toddler bed 'til he was turning 5. At that point, dd was 2 and she moved from her crib to his toddler bed. She slept in the toddler bed 'til right after she turned 7 (though she was the *size* of a small 5yo at that point).

I don't think a toddler bed is "needed" at all. But space was an issue for us, and as my children are small anyway, the toddler bed was a good choice for us.

Oldest

• 0-3 years old -- Crib (because she shared a room with her baby twin sisters, and we didn't want her to be able to get out of her bed and cover them up with blankets! :001_huh:)
  • 3-4 years old -- Toddler bed (with a guard rail on the non-wall side, because she fell out without the guard rail)
  • 5-present -- Regular bed (never with a guard rail)

Twins

• 0-3 years old -- Cribs (This was hard on my back -- lift out, lift in, lift out, lift in -- but worth not having them get out. But we started to notice Tickles putting her leg over the bar, and that was the end of the cribs. We went on vacation right after they turned 3. On vacation, they all slept on a mattress on the floor. When we came back, we made the switch from cribs to toddler beds.)
  • 3-present -- Toddler beds (their cribs converted to toddler beds, by taking off one side. They had a guard rail for a few weeks, but Tickles was doing gymnastics on it, so that was the end of the guard rail.)
  • Hopefully, by the time the twins are 5 (or whenever they are too long to fit into the toddler beds), we will be able to move to a bigger home and/or afford twin beds. We don't want bunk beds, but that's all that would fit into the 12 x 12 room all three girls share.

HTH.

Edited by Sahamamama

What do you guys think?

Yes. We bought a bunk bed when my kids were 5, 3, and 1. They've never had any problems playing on it. Right now I have to keep the bedroom doors closed b/c my 1yo doesn't have any common sense to go along with her climbing abilities (she climbs up and gets stuck). But for anyone over the age of 2 or 3, I think it'd be fine.

I thought ds9 really needed a toddler bed because he started climbing out of his crib so young--11mos. Then we moved him up when dd was climbing out of her crib--he was about 3. We had a daybed that he sort-of just adopted for himself, so dd got his bed.

W/ #3, though...she sees big bro & sis in big beds & slips over into them when no one's looking. So...she's adopted bigger beds since...1 or 2ish. LOL

We got a bed from ikea that is bigger than toddler but much smaller than twin. We put my dd into that when she outgrew the toddler bed at 5yo. She's still in it at almost 9 - probably will need a twin in the next year sometime. But i've loved it - takes up a LOT less room than the twin! I guess it wouldn't have mattered as much if we didn't have more kids, but I have 2 more behind her that will be able to use it.

Jen