Menu

Dr. Hive..I need some insight on Iron Def. Anemia and Vitamins(long..sorry)

(Peela and Negin, I hope you chime into this thread). You were all so helpful on my mammogram thread, so I thought I would come in here and ask about this.

What to do, what to do????

I was DX with Iron Deficiency Anemia a few months ago. I guess I have had it for a few years, and did not know it. My levels were not horrific, but they were low. Ferritin(Iron Storage) was only an 8, and should be over 25, at least. HGB was low at 11.5(should be over 12.0), HCT was low at 34.5(should be over 37.0), and my Serum Iron was 65(okay, but on the low end of normal). RDW-CV(size of your cells) are high at 15.3(should be between 11.5-14.5) TIBC was high at 443(normal 250-400), and Saturation Rate was low at 15%(normal is 20-55%). Then my Red Blood cells were normal, but my White Blood Cell count was elevated at 13.8, normal should not be over 10.8. (I wasn't sick that I knew of but he felt it was due to my anemia, or smoking)

B12, Folic Acid all normal and fine. Intrinsic factor and transferrin was normal.

So, I get two IV Iron infusions at the suggestion of my Hematologist. The first infusion was small. About 45 minutes. About 5 hours later I was sick as a dog.

The next one, two days later, was a bigger bag. About a 2 hour infusion. But this time, they pre-medicated me with Benadryl, 2 Tylenols, and sometihng that went in my IV prior to the infusion. I didn't get sick. Instead, I passed out from Hypotension. (I have hypertension and take BP meds!!). So both did not go well.

I had bloodwork done this morning, and have all of my results back.

My WBC came down to 11.2. (I had a cold two weeks ago and I am still coughing a little). RBC still normal. HGB came up to a normal 12.1, but still low normal, HCT(Hematocrit) came up to 36.3, my RDW-CV went up to 15.9(should have dropped so don't know), and my Saturation went up from 15% to 18%, my TIBC(Total Iron Binding Capacity) went down to normal from 441 to 331%.(good). My Serum Iron dropped from 65 to 58(I don't know why this dropped, but nurse said it depends on day you have blood drawn, and I do not have ferritin levels back yet either). But I do not have my ferritin levels yet. The nurse does not think it will have raised that much, but I will know tomorrow. Your ferritin levels are your iron storage.

(I hope you are all following me so far:lol:)

I was SUPPOSED to get a 3rd IV bag of Iron, but after those two bad instances, the Dr. decided to wait and have bloodwork done, and see him again. My last infusion was done the second week of August.

So, I go back to see the Hematologist on Monday, and he is going to go over my bloowork results with me. I know that he is going to say that although some of my numbers have improved, they are still on the low side. He is going to suggest that I do another IV treatment, but this time a small bag, over a longer period of time, and I would have to stay to be monitored. (I know this because he told me before that is what he would suggest for my third bag of Iron).

Well..............I can tell you that if he suggests that, I am not so sure. I had two infusions go badly on me, and I am afraid to get a third.

He did suggest iron pills in the beginning, but didn't recommend it because I have IBS, and I would have had to take 3 pills a day, and he claimed it would have given me constipation, and an upset stomach. But he also said the IV Infusion would be the best, and quickest way to get my iron levels up with "no side effects"(Yea, okay whatever). And taking Iron pills would take forever to get my levels up.

He also suggested an Endometrial Ablation. As he feels my periods are the cause of my anemia. I do not have heave periods. But they are long. I spot for 3-5 days prior to my periods, then have my period for 6 days, and my regular periods start about every 25 days. I am discussing this with my GYN on the 12th of October, but I think my answer is going to be no to that.

So since all of this happened, I have added blackstrap molasses to my diet, Maypo and Total Cereal, Vitamin C pills, Raisins, and cooking with a cast iron pan.

So I am not sure if the increase in my numbers have anything to do with my diet change, and/or the IV infusions, or what.

I should add, that I am asymptomatic at this point. I thought I was before. But looking back, I realized that I was dizzy at times, pale, and my hair was thinning. But I was never, ever tired. I danced, and stayed up late. So being anemic never interfered with my life.

My questions are these:

1. If it were you, would you get another IV infusion? If not, what would you do? Iron?

2. If your answer is no, what type of Iron Pill would you recommend, that would give you the best results, and possibly not give you constipation?

3. I have heard of Floradix. I understand this is natural. Right now, I am taking a CVS brand Multi- Vitamin that includes all the B vitamins, so would adding this be overkill? I also take a Vitamin C pill, a Vitamin D pill, Garlic pill, and a Fish Oil pill. (On top of my multi-vitamin).

I take Effexor XR for depression, Librax for IBS, and Atenenol and Lisinopril for high blood pressure.

4. After seeing what I take above, is there a better way to get all those vitamins in one? I add in the Vitamin C, D because I am deficient in both. I add in Garlic for my BP(I take BP meds) and Fish Oil for Cholesterol(I want to keep it good).

5. If your answer was no, to the IV iron, what is the BEST way to raise your iron levels?

Sorry this was so long.................and thank you!

Edited by dancer67

I was anaemic through all 4 pregnancies. My Dr prescribed me iron tablets twice and they bound me up something awful. Then my midwife recommended Floradix and blackstrap molasses and although it took longer to take effect, it was very successful. There was no more talk from the Dr about tablets!

I was anaemic through all 4 pregnancies. My Dr prescribed me iron tablets twice and they bound me up something awful. Then my midwife recommended Floradix and blackstrap molasses and although it took longer to take effect, it was very successful. There was no more talk from the Dr about tablets!

Did you just stop taking the pills the Dr. told you to take, and did the Floradix on your own without telling him?

I have been taking two TBSP of Blackstrap Molasses a day now, for about 3 weeks. Straight up.(Okay I am weird, I love the taste!)

Ok, I'm going to put on my nurse's cap and be blunt here. And, please note, my tone is not harsh, but it is firm. Stop smoking. Until you do this, none of your health problems will ever truly be resolved. You are attempting to put a band-aid on a sucking chest wound. It won't work. You need to concentrate all of your effort on quitting. It is truly the MOST important thing you can do for your health. It's not going to get any better if you continue to smoke.....it will get worse.

And, I know you know all this and have heard it before. I also know there aren't many smokers who want to keep smoking. I'm just trying to emphasize that this is where you need to focus your time and attention. Get all the help, support, drugs, whatever you need to conquer this monster.....but please, do it. Or honestly, you won't have to worry about your future health.....it will begin deteriorating rapidly as you age.

BTW.....your anemia will most likely disappear when you quit. It is another nasty side effect of smoking. It's caused by the carbon monoxide bonding with the hemoglobin in your bloodstream. However, for immediate treatment, I would go with the IV infusion if you have IBS. Iron pills are nasty on the digestive tract.

Again, I don't mean to sound harsh. But, from a health professional's standpoint (and I know others will agree), the SINGLE best thing you can do to reclaim your health and have a healthy future is to stop smoking. Everything else is cosmetic if you don't. Good luck!!!

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

What awful experiences with the IVs!

I'm easily anemic too. I take iron pills daily. Here's what I else I do:

Take vitamin C with iron. Don't take calcium with iron. Prepare your grains properly (soak, sprout, sourdough) in order to maximize your nutrition. Take probiotics to improve your immune system.

I stopped taking the iron tablets myself because I literally couldn't "go" at all and I was in a lot of pain with it. I saw my midwife a few days after and discussed it with her, and she said I was fine to have quit and recommended me the Floradix and molasses. (I never managed to drink molasses straight down though I have to say!!)

My plan is to quit smoking. That was another discussion on here. I have joined Quit Net.com and set a date. And have been talking with others for support. I also got a lot of ideas from here.

Not sure about Spatone? I will have to look that up.

I know the IV is the quickest. But based on my past two experiences, is it really the safest for me? I have to wiegh the pros and the cons.

And I would love to be able to find some terrific vitamins that I can take, rather then taking 5 or so vitamin pills a day. Especially if I have to add some kind of Iron Supplements to them.

Hedgehog, thanks for sharing!

My plan is to quit smoking. That was another discussion on here. I have joined Quit Net.com and set a date. And have been talking with others for support. I also got a lot of ideas from here.

Excellent!! You'll do it!! It sounds like you're getting lots of support and doing it the right way. Hang in there and don't give up! One of the docs in the practice where I worked used to give people a huge bag of lollipops when they started their "quit program". It helps with the need to have something in your mouth. Good luck!!

Diane W.

married for 22 years

homeschooling 3 kiddos for 16 years

My son didn't tolerate iron supplements (he has GI issues due to other health conditions) until we found Ferrochel

http://albionferrochel.com/effectiveness

It's absorbed at least 3 x's better than other supplements and doesn't cause the GI effects that others can.

Gentle Iron by Solgar is this type of iron and is widely available it seems.

I would not have another infusion if they make you that sick. My HGB bottomed out at 9 and my Ferritin was below 8, but I have felt weak and exhausted for 18 months now. I would say if you're asymptomatic get yourself some Floradix and skip the infusion. The liquid iron was the only thing that helped me. My HGB just hit 12 after taking the Floradix for 9 months. It is slow to recover from iron-deficient anemia. Now if I could just get my Ferritin anywhere near normal maybe I would feel better.

I am chronically anaemic and am in burn out mode today so it may not be a good day to talk to me! I have had a bit of an emotional collapse- I feel exhausted.

So- you are lucky you are not tired with such low levels! I am- and I do not absorb iron well at all, from anything. I have never had a transfusion though and don't intend to.

Many, many women do just fine on natural supplements like Floradix. When I take it, I double or triple the dose. At the moment I am on high dose iron tablets again because they dont seem to upset my stomach and I take precautions against the constipating factor (prunes, extra water). BUT, I have to say I have never managed to get my iron levels very high.

Its always been a bit of an issue for me and I havent found what really works well for me. I would prefer to be vegetarian but need to eat meat because of this issue. I find things like raisins are virtualyl useless for me. I do take spirulina - 5-10gms a day, which is a lot- and I stopped a month ago and now feel run down, so back I go to swallowing 20 spirulina tablets again! Plus my iron tablet. I find Floradix too expensive to take the doses I need, all the time.

But as you see many women do just fine on taking "something"- even though it may take a while, so why not give yourself 2 months of an oral supplement, get tested again, and if its not steadily getting better, get the transfusion. Meanwhile, go for the giving up smoking.

Dancer67, I'm no expert. I honestly don't know. I haven't read all of the replies yet, but what I have read so far is great advice. I'll try my hardest to answer.

1. If it were you, would you get another IV infusion? If not, what would you do? Iron?

I would probably try to avoid it for as long as I possibly can - dietary and supplement changes take at least 6 weeks in order to see a difference. Sometimes longer. So you need patience. I think it was someone here who posted this, or maybe it was on another forum.

"There are several things that can deplete iron -- such as excessive intake of coffee or tea, strenuous exercise, heavy perspiration, and prolonged or heavy menstrual cycles.

There are many great food sources of iron, and as always, this is the best way to go. If you must supplement, I *highly* recommend staying away from the often-constipating prescription iron supplements. There is a liquid iron supplement called Floradix that I have used, and I strongly believe that it is the way to go, if you must supplement your diet".

Vitamin C can increase iron absorption by as much as 30%. So drinking orange juice, eating strawberries, green peppers, etc. along with your iron-rich foods is a good idea.

Iron-rich foods include:

Eggs

Fish

Liver - if I were you, I would try to eat organic, grass-fed liver at least a few times a week. Then once your levels are normalized, go down to less. Once a week is fine for many. Liver is fabulous, and like eggs, they've gotten a bad rap.

Meat

Poultry

Leafy green vegetables - spinach, kale, etc.

Whole grains

Almonds

Raisins (which you know)

(and the list goes on)

You could also try to switch to iron cookware.

2. If your answer is no, what type of Iron Pill would you recommend, that would give you the best results, and possibly not give you constipation?

I read this, but have no experience with it: If you aren't using iron cookware regularly, you may wish to take 10 to 15 milligrams of elemental iron a day.

Jarrow Formulas IronSorb Elemental Iron From Protein Succinylate -- 18 mg - 60 Vegetarian Capsules - vitacost.com has this. Perhaps Floradix is better. You can read reviews of both online or listen to the wonderful ladies here.

3. Right now, I am taking a CVS brand Multi- Vitamin that includes all the B vitamins, so would adding this be overkill? I also take a Vitamin C pill, a Vitamin D pill, Garlic pill, and a Fish Oil pill. (On top of my multi-vitamin).

I take Effexor XR for depression, Librax for IBS, and Atenenol and Lisinopril for high blood pressure.

I personally no longer care for store-brand multis - such as Centrum, etc. I don't know about CVS, but last time I checked the ingredients for Centrum, I said, "No more!" - the list is too long. I have taken multis from vitacost - good reviews and prices - Source Naturals is good. There are other good brands out there - you want ones with a short ingredient list. If your budget allows, Ann Louise Gittleman has very good ones - she knows her stuff - I am currently taking one of hers - mine is without iron. She also has ones with iron. I think the iron that she includes is a good form of iron. Mind you, she's very expensive. But again, vitacost has many good ones.

I don't know about the brands of C, D, or fish oils that you're taking. Quality is important. Dosage is important also. Quality is very important when it comes to fish oil, especially. I take Carlson's.

I read this recently:

If you’re taking one of the many “one-a-day” formulas (Theragram-M, Geritol, Centrum - also brands like CVS), you may not be getting much bang for your buck. That’s because they’re so low in potency. Most fall into the “less well absorbed” category. One-a-day formulas frequently contain synthetic coloring, waxes, and other ingredients that bind the tablets together.

The biggest problem with one-a-day formulas is that they can’t give you high potencies of nutrients. There just isn’t room to put a lot of nutrients into a single tablet or capsule. Supplements with therapeutic amounts need to be taken in larger quantities – from 4-6 tablets or capsules daily. This may seem like a lot, but it’s not.

Frankly, you’re wasting your money if the supplements you take are too low in potency, poorly absorbed, contaminated, mislabeled, or not appropriate for your condition.

Carlson Super 2 Daily Vitamins and Minerals Iron Free (2 softgels per day) - Carlson is FANTASTIC. If they have one with iron, I would imagine that the iron they use is a good one. I've decided to get as many supplements as I can from Carlson's. I trust them.

Life Extension Two Per Day Tablets (2 tablets per day)

Solgar Formula V VM-75 Multiple Vitamins with Chelated Minerals (1 tablet per day)

Swanson Health Products Daily Multi-Vitamin and Mineral (1-2 capsules per day)

Rainbow Light Certified Organics Women's Multivitamin (4 capsules, 2 to 4 per day) - have heard great things about Rainbow Light as well as New Chapter Organics.

I would try my hardest to start looking into more natural approaches for the stuff you're taking meds for - depression, IBS, high blood pressure. I don't like the idea of being on meds long-term at such a young age. High blood pressure is serious. You may need to be on meds for that. But hopefully, with lifestyle changes, you can start to take care of it yourself with your doctor's approval. If you need specifics on those, and when you're ready to start working on those, let me know if you need tips.

4. After seeing what I take above, is there a better way to get all those vitamins in one? I add in the Vitamin C, D because I am deficient in both. I add in Garlic for my BP(I take BP meds) and Fish Oil for Cholesterol(I want to keep it good).

No, hardly. I take so many supplements, since it's very difficult, if not, impossible to take everything in one. I take pretty much everything and much more ... I have yet to find something that's all in one. You should see the amount of things I take. If someone were to shake me, I would rattle. :D We all take fish oil - it's one of the best supplements you can take for overall health. Same with D3. My parents and I take Garlic. And the list goes on and on ... but remember, diet is key. Nutrition is first and foremost. Thinking of you as you try to quit smoking. Quitting will be the best thing you can do for yourself. :grouphug:

5. If your answer was no, to the IV iron, what is the BEST way to raise your iron levels?

More info on iron that I've posted before, I think. Again, diet, as above. I would try eating liver a few times a week - even daily - along with a Vitamin-C rich food at the same time. I know some who have safely eaten liver daily. But every body is different.

Iron is a double-edged mineral for women. Menstruating women lose iron-rich blood every month, plus pregnancy, nursing, and strenuous physical exercise dramatically increase the need for this mineral. But later in life, excess iron, which accumulates in the body after menopause, may increase women’s risk for cancer and heart disease.

If you’re over 50 or have experienced early or surgically induced menopause, see your doctor for a hematocrit, hemoglobin, and/or ferritin test to determine if you need iron. The ferritin test, which assesses stored iron, is most important here.

If your levels approach anywhere from 150 to 200 ng/mL on the ferritin test, do avoid extra iron in supplements, iron-enriched grains, and cut down on red meat. You might want to consider an iron-free multivitamin

Studies indicate that iron can help improve short-term memory loss and concentration. If you aren't using iron cookware regularly, you may wish to take 10 to 15 milligrams of elemental iron a day.

Jarrow Formulas IronSorb Elemental Iron From Protein Succinylate -- 18 mg - 60 Vegetarian Capsules

Iron oxidizes. If you take too much iron, it can lead to cancer. This is why there are few multivitamin formulas for postmenopausal women that contain iron.

If you have had cancer, or if there is a high incidence of cancer in your family, you may want to take a formula without added iron unless a blood test determines that you are iron-deficient, in which case, natural sources may be far superior.

Iron supplements should be avoided if you have arthritis.

Too much iron can increase the production of free radicals in your brain cells and the tiny blood vessels in your brain, thereby increasing the risk of stroke. If your iron levels are too high, your brain cells can release a neurotransmitter called glutamate that can trigger chemical reactions causing brain-cell death.

Stored iron normally increases as we age, but in a few people, it is very high. The next time that you have a blood test, ask that your ferritin level be tested. It’s a simple and inexpensive aspect of stroke protection.

ETA: I just remembered my naturopathic friends putting me on Yellow Dock drops many years ago. I asked them why and they said that it was the best and healthiest source of iron. I need to consider ordering some and taking this again. They begged me to stop those one-a-day brands, such as Centrum and had me go on this. I just googled yellow dock and came up with this. Drops, I think, are usually better absorbed than capsules. Alcohol-free ones don't taste as foul.

Edited by Negin in Grenada

As someone that had a ferritin level of just 4 (my clinical nutritionist said that I take the prize for the lowest she'd ever seen), I can tell you what has worked for me. It doesn't sound good, but it is not too terrible - certainly MUCH less terrible than IV iron! It is raw liver...

Now, don't panic, you don't have to chow down on a whole liver or anything!! What you do, is cut it into chunks, put it in the freezer (lay it flat on a cutting board or something for 12hrs, then put it all into a container), and then pull out a chunk each day, and cut into tablet size pieces. Voila - frozen liver tablets, with much more oomph than any liver capsules you can buy, also way cheaper. So you'll probably have 10 liver 'tablets' a day - or more if you want! This brought my ferritin level from 4 to 15 in 3 weeks. I need to test again soon to see what it is now. My clinical nutritionist said she would like to see it at 100. I do have heavy periods, so that depletes me quite a bit, but as long as I'm taking 2 or 3 steps forward, that 1 step back each month isn't going to affect my levels too much. Of course, I'll have to take it quite regularly until menopause otherwise I'll just get depleted again over time.

My friend had a ferritin level of 9, and her doctor gave her the IV iron transfusions, and she was so sick - her levels went up to 12, but then dropped again quite soon. She also had a black area in the spot where it was put in, for several years!! It does not seem at all an easily absorbed substance. I certainly wouldn't look at IV iron as an efficient solution at all.

My Clinical Nutritionist said that iron supplements, while you have a low ferritin, are really just pumping so much iron into your system and forcing your body to make a few new storage areas (ferritin points) to store them - meanwhile the rest of all that iron is floating around as free iron (free radicals) that are very likely to cause all sorts of problems (possibly cancer and arthritis to name a few). She suggests that as long as we have the storage capacity (by having liver), our body will utilize iron from the food we eat (as long as we eat meat!).

So just my 2c worth (or maybe 10c!). A lot of people turn up their nose and reject the idea outright, but hey, it works - you don't get constipated, and energy recovery is very immediate (liver has an unexplained anti-fatigue effect). I sometimes forget to have my liver for a week, and I certainly start it. If I know I need lots of energy for the day, I have 2x normal dose. It also has to be remembered, if you are worried about toxins in liver, that the liver is a filter of toxins, not a toxin storage area. The liver shunts the toxins off to other areas to be stored or excreted. Of course, it is more ideal if you can get organic grass fed beef liver, but any healthy liver is better than none at all.

I really encourage anyone with low ferritin to just give it a go! If you want to chat any more about it, feel free to PM me.

ETA: the previous poster must have been typing up her post at the same time as me! I agree with all she says, and also have heard yellow dock is a good source. I have the liver daily, and have never had any problem - and cooking the liver makes it slightly less usable by the body for increasing ferritin. You have to have 4x the amount of lightly cooked liver to have the same effect as raw.

Edited by Isabella

One more thing ... I feel like "Columbo" with my "one more things" ... if you really and truly want help with your health overall and especially with quitting smoking, I highly recommend acupuncture. Trust me on this. Many have had great success with this for all sorts of health issues, including quitting smoking.

When it comes to anything alternative, my absolute favorite is a good acupuncturist. If you have issues with needles, they can also do acupressure - which is without needles. My very skeptical dh has had amazing results with acupuncture. It really helps with pretty much anything - chronic pain, arthritis, asthma, migraines, eating issues, weight problems, fertility issues, carpal tunnel syndrome, depression and anxiety, sleep issues, even cancer patients going through treatment - you name it.

Most importantly, what I really love about it, is that an acupuncturist can help develop an herbal formula that is tailored specifically to you, in addition to using the traditional needles to help health problems. Herbs have a greater synergy with acupuncture, so you may see a greater benefit if you use both.

To find a qualified acupuncturist near you, go to http://www.nccaom.org or call 904-598-1005

or go to http://www.acufinder.com

A good acupuncturist is like an angel. Time and time again, I have seen them do incredible stuff that doctors can't.

Okay, I am so excited to read all of this. And Negin and Peela, your advice is always so valuable to me.

First, let me share my good news. My Ferritin levels were an 8 back in July, prior to the two IV Iron Infusions.

I got my bloodwork done yesterday, and all of my results were in EXCEPT my Ferritin levels. But the nurse said that I shouldn't expect a big jump in that number, because I only had two bags of the IV Iron. And she would be surprised if it hit 9 1/2.

So I call today, and she was so excited to tell me the news. It was a 52!!!

She said she had never seen a Ferritin level jump that high before. I told her though, that I have been taking two TBS of Blackstrap Molasses a day, plus eating raisins. She said that the Molasses is probably the key to the raised Ferritin levels.

Now, my iron sat. rate is still low at 18%(up from 15%) should be at least 30%. But she thinks that the Dr will probably tell me to take Iron Pills now. Either way, I was leaning towards NOT having that IV infusion again!!

No, I never really had any symptoms of Iron Deficiency. So that in itself is good.

So, what I am going to do is

1. Look into those acupuncturists that you gave me Negin.

2. Look into changing my daily multi-vitamin to something more natural fromthe list that was given to me.

3. Probably order the Floradix, since many of the ladies here had good luck with it.

4. Start cooking with an Iron Pan

5. Freeze some raw liver

6. QUIT SMOKING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

7. Change my diet to a more healthier one. Get away from the processed foods.

8. Keep exercising

9. I am not going to have an endometrial ablation. I am not a heavy bleeder, but a long bleeder. My mom went through menopause at 48, and I am going to be 43. My periods do not bother me, and I feel I would be possibly doing more harm then good.

10. QUIT SMOKING!!!!!

11. Up my Blackstrap Molasses from two - three TBS a day. Straight up(YUMM-EE)

:lol::lol:

Thanks SO much again ladies for everything!!

PS Can you get Spatone delivered here to the US?

It is raw liver...

Now, don't panic, you don't have to chow down on a whole liver or anything!! What you do, is cut it into chunks, put it in the freezer (lay it flat on a cutting board or something for 12hrs, then put it all into a container), and then pull out a chunk each day, and cut into tablet size pieces.

A lot of people turn up their nose and reject the idea outright, but hey, it works - you don't get constipated, and energy recovery is very immediate (liver has an unexplained anti-fatigue effect). I sometimes forget to have my liver for a week, and I certainly start it. If I know I need lots of energy for the day, I have 2x normal dose. It also has to be remembered, if you are worried about toxins in liver, that the liver is a filter of toxins, not a toxin storage area. The liver shunts the toxins off to other areas to be stored or excreted. Of course, it is more ideal if you can get organic grass fed beef liver, but any healthy liver is better than none at all.

I really encourage anyone with low ferritin to just give it a go!

ETA: I have the liver daily, and have never had any problem - and cooking the liver makes it slightly less usable by the body for increasing ferritin. You have to have 4x the amount of lightly cooked liver to have the same effect as raw.

This is so interesting. My naturopathic friends would have raw liver daily or a few times a week. I thought they were out of their minds. Now, this is starting to make a lot of sense :iagree:. So, you just freeze raw liver and eat it, correct?

Dancer67, your plan is a fabulous one. You're on the right track. :grouphug:

Wow, Dancer67, I'm very impressed with your experience with the blackstrap molasses!! I think I'll have to give that a go, too.

Yes, Negin, just freeze the liver in chunks, and then cut into tablet size pieces when frozen. It's easier to cut in small bits when frozen. Chug them down with water - I add lemon or lime juice to my water, it just seems like it should go with liver (just my personal feeling)! It does give me my energy kick for the day. By this I don't mean all of a sudden I'm bursting with energy, it just allows me to do what I have to do, without draining me - basically I don't fatigue with it, and I feel good still at the end of the day. Possibly if you had more, it would have more of an effect. As I said, I do have double when I know I'm going to have a big day.

Yes, Negin, just freeze the liver in chunks, and then cut into tablet size pieces when frozen. It's easier to cut in small bits when frozen. Chug them down with water - I add lemon or lime juice to my water, it just seems like it should go with liver (just my personal feeling)! It does give me my energy kick for the day. By this I don't mean all of a sudden I'm bursting with energy, it just allows me to do what I have to do, without draining me - basically I don't fatigue with it, and I feel good still at the end of the day. Possibly if you had more, it would have more of an effect. As I said, I do have double when I know I'm going to have a big day.

I am impressed. I forget to take my liver...I like your frozen idea, and I might try it...at the moment I have several small packages of frozen liver, each with a piece of bacon in it as well, in my freezer. I like liver and bacon fried up together- yum. But it sounds like I need to get that liver into me somehow or other.

I am also very impressed, Dancer67, with your blackstrap molasses success. I have some of that in my cupboard too.

Thansk for the thread...its good to read what works for different people.

Liver is a good source of iron. Other red meats are good sources as well.

You should avoid foods that strongly inhibit iron absorption. Eggs (whites and yolks) are often listed as iron sources. They have iron but they also contain substances which inhibit iron absorption worse than any other food. Avoid them while you're low iron. Beans, nuts, seeds all contain phytates which bind iron--avoid them with your red meats or iron supplement. Dairy (soybean too but that's under beans) and calcium rich greens should be avoided at the same time you are taking iron. Greens aren't generally good sources because they either contain oxalates which bind iron (spinach) or are high in calcium which doesn't go well with iron (kale for example). Bright red or purple fruits and their juices (prunes/plums, red grapes/raisins, etc.) inhibt because of the high anti-oxidants. Iron cookware will add inorganic iron to your diet but not in a very absorbable form (it's inorganic) and you might as well take a vitamin that's better absorbed in my opinion. This is especially true because men shouldn't be taking iron and men are generally eating what the family eats...cooked in the cast iron perhaps.

My son did not improve his iron with floravital but I know some people have success with it. He did correctly quickly with the ferrochel though and it's cheaper and easier to take in my opinion.

I always have low hemoglobin levels because of a genetic blood disorder called beta thalassemia. It is common in those of Mediterranean and Asian descent because it is resistant to malaria. The red blood cells are smaller than normal, so you probably don't have it. But anyone who has chronic anemia should look into it because it is not only caused by iron deficiency, although that will make it even worse. Many doctors don't consider it. Iron pills don't help and almost killed my dad by building up in his liver. I've gone my whole life finding natural ways to help keep red blood cell production up, keeping the spleen clean, and always getting enough natural, vegetarian iron. You already know how good molasses is. I take spoonfuls happily! Here's some others I find very helpful:

Coconut water: not coconut milk (that's blended coco meat), but the water inside the nut. If you can get it, it's the best! They do sell it in cartridges at health food stores, but fresh is best. They used it for blood transfusions in WWII because it is the closest thing to human blood (plasma). Drinking a coconut is like getting a blood transfusion. It has saved my life many times. It also helps with blood clotting and is a major cleanser. I cannot emphasize enough how great the coconut is! As soon as I moved to the tropics and started drinking cocos often, all of my anemic symptoms have completely gone away.

Iron Tea: you can make your own tea that has more iron than floradex for half the price. Traditional Medicinals makes 'Iron Woman Tea' and you can make your own with bulk herbs. Yellow dock root, burdock root, dandelion root, licorice root, nettle leaf, red raspberry leaf, alfalfa (high in vitamin K, too) prune fruit, astragalus root, and sweeten with stevia leaf.

Amino Acid Chelated Iron: When I was pregnant, I took Rainbow Lite's Prenatal One Multivitamin and my hemoglobin levels were surprisingly the highest they had been since before I started menstruating. The iron in it is chelated, which was easier for my body to assimilate. I take this occasionally even when I'm not pregnant.

Salad and dark leafy greens everyday! Especially parsley and cilantro. Tomatoes cooked in a cast iron pan increase the iron amount greatly. I take lots of fresh lemon for daily vitamin c.

For quitting smoking, get some licorice root sticks. I used to smoke in my teenage years and I got tingly fingers and lack of oxygen symptoms. I pretended to smoke the licorice sticks and chewed on it, and it really helped. Mullein is an herb that will help clean out the lungs during the hard beginning stage of stopping smoking, and also raw onions. You will feel a huge improvement once you quit. Breathe deep from your abdomen.

Vitamin K rich foods will help lesson your monthly blood loss. Avoid blood thinners like hot peppers. Here's some good info on that:

http://www.ctds.info/natthinners.html

Edited by Devotional Soul

Thank you, Isabella :grouphug:. I'm so excited to learn this. Now, a rather stupid question - is there a reason to freeze? Can someone just eat it raw? :001_huh: Not that I want to ;). I would think that freezing is done to make it taste better. But is there another reason? Or just to make it more convenient to have smaller chunks, rather than all in one go? :D

I remember had a very long exam in grad school - more than 3 hours long - and I had liver that morning. I felt so energized. Felt great. Back then, I used to have liver at least 2-3 times a week for breakfast. I'd like to start having liver more regularly.

The other new posts are really interesting. I need to read more on this. For now, I'm going to look into liver and yellow dock. I just love learning new things. :D

Negin, most sources of information about liver suggest to freeze it for 14 days before using it. I expect this is to kill any minute germs that may be on/in it. We use only liver from healthy animals naturally raised on our farm that we butcher ourselves, so I don't really see any need to freeze apart from the convenience. It's easier to cut into small pieces while frozen.

You can certainly take it raw unfrozen. Sometimes I have cut mine, then had a phone call or something that I have to attend to, and come back to find it defrosted. I still take it, and it's fine - in fact, it probably goes down easier - more slippery ;-). But you do taste it very slightly that way. Frozen there is no taste or smell. If you're fine with the taste, either way is fine. Some people, though, gag at the smell of liver, so frozen, smell-free and tasteless would be much more palatable.

Yes, :iagree:it is lots of fun learning more things, especially about treating problems naturally! I've enjoyed this thread, too, and will be dashing out and buying some blackstrap molasses very soon.