Menu

What's the home school law in your area?

fruitful vine

No requirements at all from the State.:thumbup:

We voluntarily joined the IDEA homeschool program (run through the Galena City School District) and we receive money for curriculum and a computer. They require quarterly reports and State testing, but I think it's a good trade-off. Most of the employees with IDEA are homeschoolers too, so they are easy to work with. Alaska has a few other programs you can enroll in that are similar. There are a lot of homeschoolers in the state, which I love. Make us not feel like outsiders!

You ladies who say you have it so good because you "only" have to do a "few" things don't have nothin' on Illinois. :)

Here's what you don't have to do in Illinois:

Compulsory School Age: none

Attendance: None

Subjects: None

Qualifications: None

Recordkeeping: None

Notice: none

Testing: none

Illinois law goes one step further and actually protects the venue of homeschooling with specific language in the law that says a homeschool is considered a private school and is not regulated.

I was upset at first about moving out of MO way back when. But, now I'll be bummed if we ever move out of Illinois.

We live in PA also. I am starting to dislike the law more and more every day. I feel that it is no ones business with what we do, etc. I don't go asking everyone in ps/private school what their children are doing, how they socialize etc. It's not my business. (by the way, I do have one left in private school. :) ).

Just wanted to say that I have not been harrassed or anything like it. This year though, we have a new person in the school taking care of the homeschool stuff so I'm not sure what type of person he is.

I also am changing my logging because the other one didn't fit our way of schooling and it is making me crazy! To many check marks.

In California it is pretty easy--you file an afadavit once a year stating that you are a "private school" with however many teachers/students you have. So eventually we'll list two teachers (dh and I) and two students (dss). You are required to keep attendance records and immunization records (or letters of opting out of immunizations). I've never heard of anyone actually asking to see those records, but the law says you need to have them.

No standards, tests, portfolios or other oversight... just one letter a year.

Of course, we'll see what happens with the current court case (in which the judge stated homeschool parents need a teaching credential to teach their children), but it's looking now like nothing will change--the ruling was vacated and the statements out of Sacramento have been supportive.

From the California Homeschool Network website:

"My feeling is very much in line with the governor in that it is a parental choice as to how they will educate their children," said Chris Bertelli, assistant secretary of education. "To require a credential for a parent that is home-schooling is ludicrous." "No other state in the country requires a credential," Bertelli said. "It would be nearly impossible to enforce and would do so much more damage than good."

"As long as they are a private school registered with the state then as far as we are concerned they are a legal home school," said Victor Thompson, director of student support service for the L.A. County Department of Education.

When we got our card every fall we would send in attendance and test scores. I figured if that was all I had to do I couldn't complain. I know of several families who didn't.

It's good to know what the law is, because if the state oversteps a little bit here, it will overstep a little bit more there. Such has been the case in NC. The law does *not* allow the state to "inspect" attendance records, and it doesn't require hsers to voluteer ahead of time to send in test scores.

In New Mexico we file a notice of intent to Homeschool by April 1st, or within 30 days of starting a homeschool. We're supposed to keep immunization records, a calendar showing 180 days of instruction, and our High School diplomas on file. No one ever comes by so I don't know how many do this.;) It's easy for me because we can file on line, but I know people who hate that.

We're probably moving in the next year or two (hubby's job), and it's always interesting to me to hear people say, "Oh, it's not that bad. We only . . ." Especially people who have to test their kids! That sends me into cold sweats!:willy_nilly: It just goes to show other "more regulated" states may not be as bad as they seem.

We're required to notify the Department of Public Instruction in the fall (using their form) of our promise to provide at least 875 hours of instruction in a "sequentially progressive curriculum of fundamental instruction" (just love that line) in reading, language arts, mathematics, social studies, science and health.

We're also required to keep attendance records (never been asked).

Fairly easy here. Not required to provide names or ages of our children just the number that we're teaching at home. No testing required.

We are very fortunate here in South Dakota. We file an exemption form at the beginning of each school year with our local school district. Every few years we are required to submit results from a standardized test. The years that are required are the same for students attending school. We have the option of using the same tests as the school and administering them at home, or we can order and pay for our own as long as we submit a copy of the scores.

In most communities around the state, students can participate in extra curricular activities such as sports and music with the approval of the local school board, and for a fee. In a very rural state with small towns that are rapidly shrinking, they are happy to have all the bodies they can get. Sometimes it creates pressure in small towns for people to enroll their kids in school because the school district doesn't receive funds of course for students who aren't attending. But, overall, we are pretty friendly here. It's a very good state for homeschooling.

Here in TN we have three options, from most "intrusion" to least. I've found us an umbrella school so I get to go with option #3, leaving me MUCH relieved!

I submit curriculum lists, grades, and attendance (180 days req.) to my school and they keep up with the paperwork. They offer testing for your kids, but it's not required at any level. Very nice and tidy.

The expectation is that you'll provide a similar education for your children, to what they'd receive in public school.

We lived in VA for a little over two years...and came back here, lol. If we were to consider moving, again, my preference would be for states like OK. (TX, etc.) It always confuses me, this disparity in states' requirements. I get that individual states want to control things, themselves, but...I still don't get this big difference.

I just moved to Iowa last month. Previousy we lived in Illinois where we had to do nothing. In Iowa you have to notify the school district once the child is 7 and then choose one of the following options for monitoring:

1. complete standardized testing (if child scores below 33%ile for any reason they will be mandated to enroll in the public school system)

2. Complete a portfolio to be reviewed by the local district

3. Obtain a teacher licensed for your child(ren)'s ages and have that teacher supervise you throughout the year. This involves 2 meetings per quarter I believe.

Our oldest turns 7 this fall so this will be the first year we have to actually DO any of this. Most families I've spoken with go for the supervising teacher option and ensure they get one who's homeschool supportive.

Blessings,

Caryn

...their birth certificate, do they keep records of any kind?

In PA we don't have to show any birth certificates, just full names of each child and age.

I hope a school doesn't "need" a birth certificate, I wouldn't want to give them any of that info.

They do ask for a copy of your diploma. I hate that, but I guess it could be worse.

First let me say that I do think the homeschool law in PA is very strict. And some years I get really frustrated by it and find some of it a waste of time. However, with that being said, I have never had any problems. At first I was very intimidated by the requirements. But after the first year, it has become just a set of hoops to jump through. I may be in the minority but I don't mind the portfolio. I look at it as a keepsake for my kids. Therefore, I tend to put a little more into it because I view it as theirs. The testing requirements are no big deal for me. I want to know how they are doing. I know for me, the law tends to keep me on track and focused. I think the law sounds a lot worse than it really is. I am just grateful for the ability to homeschool my children and not have to put them in PS. We live in "one of the better" districts in Lancaster county. They are not hs friendly at all but we've never had a problem. I would never consider putting my kids in a place that needs to be patroled everyday by an armed police officer.:eek:

First let me say that I do think the homeschool law in PA is very strict. And some years I get really frustrated by it and find some of it a waste of time. However, with that being said, I have never had any problems. At first I was very intimidated by the requirements. But after the first year, it has become just a set of hoops to jump through. I may be in the minority but I don't mind the portfolio. I look at it as a keepsake for my kids. Therefore, I tend to put a little more into it because I view it as theirs. The testing requirements are no big deal for me. I want to know how they are doing. I know for me, the law tends to keep me on track and focused. I think the law sounds a lot worse than it really is. I am just grateful for the ability to homeschool my children and not have to put them in PS. We live in "one of the better" districts in Lancaster county. They are not hs friendly at all but we've never had a problem. I would never consider putting my kids in a place that needs to be patroled everyday by an armed police officer.:eek:

You are right, Chris, and it could be much worse.

Also, it's wonderful that you live in an area that is good about things. I had a some trouble starting out with the school district, but they have since been ok to deal with.

I totally agree about the portfolio; I also, like to view it as a keepsake. Although, I do fear that the school district will loose it while in their hands. I heard of that happening. :scared: