Menu

Phonograms... what?

DragonflyAcademy

So.. a recent post on phonograms had be scratching my head.. I've never heard of them before!! :confused:

Then my cousin called from Texas and asked me what they were.. her DD came home from school with a phonogram assignment (they do a homeschool/private school combined thing there)

I had to look them up!! and I'm still confused..

I was never taught with them? Are they "new"?? What are the advantages?? Are children who don't get taught them at a disadvantage?

I guess I'm worried that I'm neglecting something important if I don't teach them...

The phonograms help to explain how the English language works in a very logical way. There are 70 letters and letter groups that make a certain set of sounds.

You have the 26 letters of the alphabet and the rest are multi-letter phonograms. Some examples:

A--a as in apple, A as in Angle, ah as in father

ai--says A as in train, never used at the end of a word

ay--says A as in hay, can be used at the end of a word

ou--says ow as in our, O as in mourn, oo as in you, u as in cousin, and or as in four

It is really a great idea and once you know the phonograms and the rules as to how they work, you can pretty much figure out how to read and/or spell any word in the language except some of the foriegn words.:001_smile:

We recently started working with phonograms. Even though dd7, dd10 and dd11 are all good readers they could not spell. I started with the phonograms and was amazed by how many they did not know. Now that they have worked with them for a few weeks and know them all their spelling and reading comprehension scores have already started improving. I was told that without knowing them a person has a harder time trying to decode words. This can cause poor reading or reading comprehension and their spelling skills are likely to hit a stall somewhere around 4th - 5th grade level.

Spell to Write and Read

Writing Road to Reading

All About Spelling

Phonics Road...

Thanks..if one has limited $ which would be the best to get.. I cannot afford to try it and hate it..as I won't be able to get something else.. I already made a HUGE mistake with history this year and ouch..

So, I have a 1st and 4th grader who have never ever been exposed to phonogram teaching.. can I get just 1 thing that would work for both of them.. or do they need separate programs?

These cards come with rules and explanations and are cheap. If you get it with "The ABCs and All Their Tricks," you will be able to figure out any spelling question or rule you have!

http://www.amazon.com/Phonics-Made-Plain-Chart-Flashcards/dp/0880621486/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1284344357&sr=8-1

The Writing Road to Reading is the cheapest book that details how to use them, but it is a bit difficult to understand, you should get it from your library first before you spend money. AAS and Phonics Road are easy to use, but more expensive.

There may be some free books on Google, I will have to look through some of the ones I like and see.

Thanks..if one has limited $ which would be the best to get.. I cannot afford to try it and hate it..as I won't be able to get something else.. I already made a HUGE mistake with history this year and ouch..

So, I have a 1st and 4th grader who have never ever been exposed to phonogram teaching.. can I get just 1 thing that would work for both of them.. or do they need separate programs?

You can do it for, essentially, free. I found and used these materials that have full, complete lessons plans about how to teach the phonograms in a multi-sensory way. This includes spelling words and is set up using what are called Orton-Gillingham methods.

http://learningsharingcaring.blogspot.com/2010/07/i-found-these-materials-to-do-complete.html

Here is a resources for marking spelling words using Spalding markings and includes spelling word lists. http://learningsharingcaring.blogspot.com/2010/08/spelling-how-to-mark-words.html

I actually used a combination of the two philosophies and moved at our pace which ended up being relatively quick.

I've got other resources on the blog too but the above will give all you need really in my opinion and experience (I used the WRTR videos linked above and some others similar to that for my own information as well and I linked all those in my blog).

I also used online free readers which I've linked. I did rearrange the presentation a little to follow my readers presentation.

Anyway, it was cheap, easy, complete, and worked well.

Edited by sbgrace

Ok.. what do I use to teach them?? What program?? Is there something my 1st and 4th grader can use together?
I made a set of these paint chip phonics cards over the summer. My Kg-er is still finishing 100 Easy Lessons, but every day she chooses a couple of cards and I have her read through them.

Paint chip Phonics

Not a formal program, but this is what I kind of cobbled together. Dd has fun reading through them, picking out what are real words and what just sound silly (to her).

I must warn the OP that Writing Road to Reading and Spell to Write and Read are very teacher intensive programs. I think the people who do those programs are really really commited to the phonogram method and are willing to do a lot of work themselves. Just a heads up! The other programs mentioned seem a lot simpler to implement.