Menu

Book a Week in 2010 - Week 37

Today is the start of book week 37 and the quest to read 52 books in 52 weeks. Have you started Book # 37 yet? Mr. Linky is all set up on the 52 books blog and ready for you to link to your reviews.

This week in the blogosphere, there is a big celebration going on: Book Blogger Appreciation Week, hosted by Amy Riley of My Friend Amy. There will be a huge number of giveaways and contests hosted by bloggers, authors and publishers. I will be hosting a couple giveaways on My Two Blessings. On Monday, the Sookie Stackhouse Southern Vampire Series by Charlaine Harris. Yes, I am giving away books #1-9 as a package deal. I haven't read # 10 yet, so it's not included. :) Also on Wednesday, a mystery / suspense bundle of 6 books. So be sure to drop by not only my blog, but the BBAW website as well.

The consensus from last week's mini challenge is I should read Justice Hall by Laurie R King. Downloaded it on my nook already, so when I read it, will let you know all about it.

Last but not least, welcome to Chikngirl aka emily who has decided to join in.

What are you reading this week?

I think I'm finally caught up, lol. ;)

Last week, I finished The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie (loved it, esp. Flavia) & two of The Pirates! books (In an Adventure w/ Scientists; In an Adventure w/ Ahab). The Pirates! books were super silly & good for a chuckle or two -- definitely light reading. Overall, they were so-so & not nearly as entertaining or as laugh-out-loud funny as I had hoped. But, still, they were passable 'my brain is fried' reading material. :lol: (If you're laboring through Moby Dick, the Adventure w/ Ahab book might be fun reading afterward.)

Currently reading The Girl Who Played with Fire (though I already know what will happen because I've already seen the movie). So far, I'm liking it better than I liked the first book.

Books I've read in 2010: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time; Good Omens; The Palace of Dreams; Genghis Khan and the Making of the Modern World; Lying Awake; The Remains of the Day; Iron & Silk; Lottery; The City of Dreaming Books; Half Broke Horses: A True-Life Novel; Clutter Busting: Letting Go of What's Holding You Back; The Power of Less; Stop Clutter from Stealing Your Life; The Bonesetter's Daughter; Life of Pi; Orphans Preferred: The Twisted Truth and Lasting Legend of the Pony Express; Whatever You Do, Don't Run: True Tales of a Botswana Safari Guide; Waiting for Snow in Havana; The Happiness Project; Ella Minnow Pea: A Progressively Lipogrammatic Epistolary Fable; The Dante Club; Conquering Chronic Disorganization; City of Thieves; Throw Out Fifty Things: Clear the Clutter, Find Your Life; Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen; Dead Until Dark; The Color of Magic; Fernande; Special Topics in Calamity Physics; Medicus; The Blind Contessa's New Machine; My Name is Red; The White Tiger; The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie; The Pirates! In an Adventure with Scientists; The Pirates! In an Adventure with Ahab

(If you're laboring through Moby Dick, the Adventure w/ Ahab book might be fun reading afterward.)

LOL, that would be me. Only 2 hours left!!! I'm still enjoying it, and my ds and I are amused at all the Moby Dick references that are turning up everywhere.

I finished Brandon Sanderson's Mystborn last Sunday or Monday. My son and I attending a reading and book signing session by the author Friday night. It was packed, so we didn't stay for an autograph, but enjoyed listening to him. His new epic book, The Way of Kings, clocks in at 45 hours on audible, or at 400,000+ words in print! He was delightful and sold us on the book -- just haven't started yet. Sanderson, btw, said he considers Moby Dick to be epic fantasy -- he didn't get to expand on that point because the front row peanut gallery kept interrupting him with their opinions.

I also read Moonstone by Wilkie Collins this week. What a fun book!! It is considered the first British detective novel (published in the 1860s I think) and is full of terrific characters and red herrings and different perspectives.

I also read Moonstone by Wilkie Collins this week. What a fun book!! It is considered the first British detective novel (published in the 1860s I think) and is full of terrific characters and red herrings and different perspectives.

Here is another reminder that Moonstone is the selected novel for this year's Penguin/Signet Scholarship contest. Parents who may not be interested in having students submit their essays may still want to see the prompts for the contest. More here.

This week I finished:

#48 - Living by God's Surprises: The Glory of Prayer in Suffering, Mystery, Weakness, and Joy; A Personal Journey, by Harold L. Myra. While there were a few (only a few) insights, this book was not what I expected. He took a one month retreat to hone in on the subject of prayer and particularly to contemplate the issue of prayers that go maddeningly unanswered. Imho, it fell short - seemed like he skimmed the topic at best.

#49 - Skipping Christmas, by John Grisham. Another disappointment. I have heard for sometime now that this is a laughingly good, insightful story. No, it really wasn't funny or insightful, imo. I was also disappointed with the ending. I felt as if the author didn't know how to continue his theme so he chose an unrealistic, easy, convenient conclusion.

Am currently reading:

#50 - A Simple Christmas, by Mike Huckabee.

I'm reading and LOVING - The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest. I'll be sad when I'm done.

The author liked Elizabeth George ... not sure if I'll like her or not. Might give her first book a try.

I'm also re-reading Confessions of an Economic Hit Man (super-interesting)

confessions-of-an-economic-hit-man.jpg

Tell me you are only skimming it, not taking notes and summarising. If you are, just lie. :tongue_smilie:

Rosie- who really is impressed at your efforts. ;)

My notes consist of, "This woman suffers from mental illness that we now have medication for" and "Her relationship with Jesus is a representation of what an abusive relationship is."

I can't get past the whole "I will never forsake you; you can trust me completely" to "You did not do as I wanted so I made you suffer for twelve days. Next time do as I say."

It is an interesting case for delving into psychology. Makes me think of Stockholm syndrome.

As for summarizing? Well, all chapters are basically the same. ;) It spices up a bit each time she is tried though.

I read Vanishing Acts by Jodi Picoult. It was the selection for my book club this month and was book 36 for the year.

Next up on my list is Sent by Margaret Peterson Haddix. It's book 2 in the Missing series and has been sitting in my library stack waiting for me while I finished some other books. It's YA so I'm hoping it will be a quick read because I just got The Passage by Justin Cronin from the library and I can't wait to get started on it!

I did think that Augustine seemed to be honest. He didn't try to hide the fact that he thought he was pretty important. ;)

I laughed every time he mentioned not being willing to give up s*x. I found his attitude towards the mother of his son unbelievable.

He liked to hear himself talk.

Ah well. I guess I'm just not in the elite club that finds his book of profound insights.

I did think that Augustine seemed to be honest. He didn't try to hide the fact that he thought he was pretty important. ;)

I laughed every time he mentioned not being willing to give up s*x. I found his attitude towards the mother of his son unbelievable.

He liked to hear himself talk.

Ah well. I guess I'm just not in the elite club that finds his book of profound insights.

I liked Vita Brevis. All the vital parts of Confessions, but delivered in a much more enjoyable fashion. It was written by his son's mother. :D

I just started The Total Money Makeover" by Dave Ramsey.

I've heard bits and pieces of his method. Now, I'm actually reading the book. I'm getting more out of it than I am with Margery Kempe. :tongue_smilie:

:lol:

:)

Rosie

Speed reading can be a gift and a curse. :)

I have just plowed through the Hunger Games series, I will be finishing Mockingjay this afternoon.

I could barely stand to put these down and I am not even certain as to why yet. These are dark books and the main character isn't even particularly likeable. She is, however, surrounded by characters you fall for hook line and sinker. I was pre-reading them for my 14 year old dd and I know she is going to love them as well. Strong, memorable characters and a riveting plotline make this series a must read. I am extremely glad I never heard of them until the final book was out, waiting for them would have been lousy.

I SO enjoyed The Sweetness at the Bottom of the Pie by Alan Bradley (Thank you, Stacia!)

I loved the humor, the intelligence, the quirkiness, and, most of all, Flavia, the 11 year old heroine.

Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It sounds like we both liked it for the same reasons! :001_smile: Are you planning to read some of the other books in the series?

Yay! I'm so glad you enjoyed it. It sounds like we both liked it for the same reasons! :001_smile: Are you planning to read some of the other books in the series?

Yes! I was happy to see the second one is already out and the third will be released sometime in February (I think).

I am wondering how the sequels will compare to the first---will you be reading the second one anytime soon?

Yes! I was happy to see the second one is already out and the third will be released sometime in February (I think).

I am wondering how the sequels will compare to the first---will you be reading the second one anytime soon?

I do plan to read the sequels, but I'm not sure how soon. I have lots of different books sitting here as well as various books on hold at the library (coming in at various times because I've been wait-listed for some), so it may be a bit before I end up requesting the second one. Seems like this time of year always starts getting busy until the end of the year, so perhaps I'll plan to read it once the new year rolls around.

If you read it before then, please be sure to post your comments. :001_smile: