Menu

Tonsillectomy

JWSJ

My ds9 had a tonsillectomy last year due to recurrent problems.

Since then he hasn't been sick, even when the rest of the family comes down with something.

Any other families experience similar?

I ask because my dd is starting to have similiar tonsillitis.

My experiences are the opposite. Both my dds had their's out and while they don't get as seriously ill as they were before, they are still getting sick. They've had strep throat several times since having tonsils out and they never had it before. They had tonsillities and serious ear infections and they don't have those problems now. Even with the strep its better than it was before though.

Well, she stopped getting strep. Before tonsils out, she had strep probably 6 times a year. (I doubt it ever left.>) Since then, she has had it once in 12 years, and has not caught it even when it has been in the house on many occassions. However, she does still get colds...

I had mine out when I was 5. I've never had tonsillitis or strep throat even when when exposed (like kissing DH when he has strep). I almost never get sore throats of any kind, and when I do it is very mild and healed by getting rehydrated. It's weird.

I would not consider myself healthy though.

Dd is so mad at me about her tonsillectomy.

You hear this stuff. The doctor confirms it. Then wham! You are a liar.

Dd had sore throats so often that she was under weight and not eating most of the time. So our GP recommends tonsils out. We get a recommendation from the ENT for tonsils and adenoids out. We talk this small trusting child into surgery.

She spent a miserable two weeks post-op because every thing hurt so very much. Even the promised ice cream and Popsicles. Then once she recovered from the surgery, she still gets a sore throats every time she comes down with a blasted cold. And the colds come about 6 times a year. Are her allergies acting up? Sore throat.

Yes she is eating now and sore throats don't last as long as they used to, but if you decide to go with having them out don't tell your child he or she will never have another sore throat.

Well...I had mine out when I was 19 due to constant strep throat and never got strep again. But I think it makes sense that other infections would be down, my tonsils were so cryptic that they were just germ sponges. (I think around when my tonsils came out I swapped it with sinus infections, but it was during college when I was in very close contact with a lot of infections all the time). My allergies also started going a little nuts shortly after but that could be due to moving halfway across the country when I was done with college, new allergens, etc. Or it could be that I was so miserable due to strep for so long that I simply didn't notice allergies before then.

My oldest dd had her tonsils and adenoids removed at age 4 for severe sleep apnea. She doesn't get all the colds the rest of the family gets, and when she does get sick- she gets over it in 1 or 2 days... amazing.

However, the recovery from surgery was a nightmare. She refused to eat and it took weeks to get her eating again. She was already pretty thin, but it was frightening... Yuck!

Susan

However, the recovery from surgery was a nightmare.

My son's recovery was a nightmare as well. I was told he would bounce back in a day or two. It took two weeks. It was misery for all of us. It is why we're hestiating about our daughter.