Menu

Favorite elementary math, third grade?HELP

:scared::crying:I'm struggling with frustration!

DS I believe has a super problem with attention and focus. He'll get stumped on Math facts that he has done over and over. It seems as though he has memorized certain facts.

(example 8+5=13/13-8=5 etc...)......

we drill it over and over he seems to know it and then the next day when he see's it he whines and says "this is hard, I don't know this" slouches and drops his head on the table.

We used Math U See all last year. I am thinking I need to switch to something that will help him understand better.

I've checked into Right Start and I'm interested but afraid to spend the money in case I have the same problem.

I guess my question is I wonder if I should just stick with Math U See or switch to something else like Right Start?? ARGHHHHH AAHHHH

Understanding math concepts and memorization of math facts are two different skills, using different parts of the brain, and they often develop asynchronously. If he's getting the concepts with MUS, I wouldn't necessarily give up on it; just add additional practice on math facts.

Jackie

Edited by Corraleno

Does he need more drill? MUS online drill generator is very helpful. If facts are the only issue, not concepts, then MUS is probably doing the job just fine. If it is a combination of facts and remembering concepts, then he might need more review. Again, MUS drill generator might fix that.

If you are suspecting attention and focus issues, I'm not sure a new curriculum will change that! I have twin 3rd grade boys with attention issues. If you go to the special needs board and look up the recent coffee thread, add and adhd threads you might get some other ideas.

I am finishing up with MUS...taking a break and using some MM, before I move them into MUS Gamma. Hope that made sense :)

My son has this problem. It was getting so frustrating. I am now drilling him with flashcards, just the doubles facts. When he learns those I will slowly add in more that are 1 up or down. He needs to know these and it is SO hard for him.

I also ordered Abeka math grade 2, even though he is in 3rd grade. I figure he can breeze through those things that are easy and we can lay a solid foundation while shoring up those weak spots. He is doing well now, but there is NO way he could have gone into 3rd grade math not even knowing his addition facts consistently. HTH!

I ran into that issue with my DD and the multiplication tables. I tried games, drill worksheets, flashcards, Timez Attacks, Times Tables the Easy Way, Multiplication Mosaics, etc. Nothing really seemed to work.

Finally, DH told her that she couldn't use the computer or play the Wii until she had the tables memorized. That got her motivated enough to finish learning her facts within a week.

My daughter is just now starting to "soak in" her math facts. I was also using MUS and ended up adding in SM. The combo has worked miracles. Math is a touchy subject as she wants to rush through it. She complains when I make her slow down. I would just plug along and eventually it will click. Sometimes it just takes a while. :)

HTH,

Penny

I ran into that issue with my DD and the multiplication tables. I tried games, drill worksheets, flashcards, Timez Attacks, Times Tables the Easy Way, Multiplication Mosaics, etc. Nothing really seemed to work.

Finally, DH told her that she couldn't use the computer or play the Wii until she had the tables memorized. That got her motivated enough to finish learning her facts within a week.

Yep. :iagree:

I would just continue with MUS if it is working for the most part. I started daily drill online and that helps. 5-10 min. is all they need. This helps cement facts and yet you can continue on so your ds doesn't get frustrated with seeming to make no progress. Make sure you are doing most of the sheets each week giving him the practice he needs. If he balks tell him you'll cut down on the sheets each week once he knows his facts. ;)