Menu

Do Not Unschool Your Puppy

Dd has a friend who is unschooled. Radically.....the kid is 12 and can barely read, cannot do any math, etc. The dad is a ps teacher; :001_huh: but we respect their choices.

So this family just got a new puppy-- a large mixed-breed. Knowing that my dd does a lot of dog training, the friend asked if my dd could come over and give them some pointers about how to train the dog for basic house manners: no jumping, no biting/mouthing, sit, stay, walk nicely on a leash, etc. My dd was happy to help.

She just came home so frustrated because the family REFUSES to teach this pup with any consistency. They say, "But she's just a pup! She'll outgrow it! We can't always be the bad cop and tell her "No."" My dd knows full well that the key to training a dog to do/not do ANYTHING is consistency and clearly defined boundaries/expectations. This pup is nearing a year old and these behaviors are getting unmanageable.

Exasperated, dd just said to me, "Mom, they're trying to unschool the puppy! You can't unschool puppies!!"

So please, if you are unschoolers--- maybe it works with kids, but really-- it doesn't work with puppies! :D

astrid

Your dd is right! :)

That family sounds pretty clueless, and I feel sorry for their ds, who is clearly going to pay the price for his parents' beliefs, as well as for the dog, who will probably end up in a shelter because it didn't "outgrow" the bad behaviors.

Cat

Maybe they plan to let the puppy's interests guide them. When the puppy shows interest in, say, not biting, they'll go to the library and check out some books on not biting. ;)

The kid will grow up and could learn what he needs/wants to know. But that dog will be a terror.

So this family just got a new puppy-- a large mixed-breed. Knowing that my dd does a lot of dog training, the friend asked if my dd could come over and give them some pointers about how to train the dog for basic house manners: no jumping, no biting/mouthing, sit, stay, walk nicely on a leash, etc. My dd was happy to help.

Oh my...should I even bother asking if they've got a regular leash or one of those retractable leashes that seem to be the leash of choice among the laissez faire dog owners. :angry:

Our beloved family dog who died a couple of months ago was just shy of becoming a shelter dog when we rescued her from the filthy home in which she lived. She was with us almost 15 years when she died. We often said that we learned how NOT to parent by having Trixie first. We never trained her and she ruled our home. My mom would pile laundry baskets on the couch so Trixie wouldn't get on it and in the morning as mom walked out of her room Trixie would look up at her from her tiny sleeping spot between two laundry baskets with this look that said,"Game on, Grannie,....GAME ON!" :lol:

We lucked out in that she was very even-tempered and, at heart, just a really great dog, but we WILL NEVER EVER DO THAT AGAIN!

Train, train, train! Use Charlotte Mason, Abecka, what have you but for goodness sake......SCHOOL YOUR PUP!!

Oh my...should I even bother asking if they've got a regular leash or one of those retractable leashes that seem to be the leash of choice among the laissez faire dog owners. :angry:

Blondie walks to heel in town but the retractable leash allows me to let her have a bit more freedom in the countryside without farmers being worried that she will disturb livestock.

Laura