Menu

How do you rip up your workbooks?

TKDmom

I have 2 workbooks that I need to rip up. They are blackline masters and I need to make them easier to copy. One of them has perforated pages so that's easy, but how should I rip apart the other one?

Do you have any special tools that you use? Do you take them to an office supply store and have them cut off the binding? Or should I just be very careful?

ETA: The workbook has a glued (not stapled) binding, if that makes any difference.

Edited by bonniebeth4

If the book is perfect-bound (that's the one you referred to as being glued), I take it to Kinko's and have the binding cut off. If it's saddle-stitched (stapled in the middle), I have them remove the staples and then cut right along that fold. In either case, it's very inexpensive to have it done by someone else with the equipment to do it, and it looks much better than if I try to cut it apart myself.

Sometimes I do that with workbooks that have perforated pages, too. It depends on how many pages there are--carefully tearing out 300 pages can be a pain, KIWM? :-)

If the book is perfect-bound (that's the one you referred to as being glued), I take it to Kinko's and have the binding cut off. If it's saddle-stitched (stapled in the middle), I have them remove the staples and then cut right along that fold. In either case, it's very inexpensive to have it done by someone else with the equipment to do it, and it looks much better than if I try to cut it apart myself.

Sometimes I do that with workbooks that have perforated pages, too. It depends on how many pages there are--carefully tearing out 300 pages can be a pain, KIWM? :-)

Thank you! They are about 150-200 pages each and perfect-bound (I knew there was a name for that. :001_smile:) I suppose it would be much easier having someone else do it. But then I'd have to leave my house with all my monsters. :tongue_smilie:

I use a really good x-acto blade and a metal ruler. It takes awhile but with a really sharp blade and a fair amount of pressure you can cut through many pages at a time. I have also used a good sharp box cutter.

What do you put under the book to keep from ruining furniture, carpet, etc?

I've ripped up a bunch of books. I bend the book open wide until the binding starts to break in a few places, then I pull the pages out a chunk at a time. It's easier with some than others, but I think the biggest have taken me less than 45 minutes to rip apart and 3-hole punch. They'll have some of the glue residue on the edges, but it usually pulls off easily.

ETA~ I've read too many horror stories of the office stores cutting the book wrong and ruining them, and using an exacto knife sounds dangerous to me! lol

I give it to DH, he takes it to the basement, and it comes back cut.:001_smile:

I never knew how it happened, so for you, I asked. He puts the book on a piece of scrap wood, clamps it on the unbound edge so it doesn't slip, and then uses a sharp utility knife against a straight edge to cut it.

Here's my pro tip: don't try to do it with a paring knife.

I thought I could cut DD's Saxon 65 worksheet and test book into manageable pieces and then use my paper cutter to cut the glue and spine off. Even though it appeared that I was cutting straight, I ended up making a diagonal cut through a huge number of the pages. I had to tape them up before I could put them in a binder. :glare:

ETA~ I've read too many horror stories of the office stores cutting the book wrong and ruining them, and using an exacto knife sounds dangerous to me! lol

I had a used book ruined once at an Office Supply store, and it made me a little leery of them. I think they do a better job with straight, new bindings.

I use a really good x-acto blade and a metal ruler. It takes awhile but with a really sharp blade and a fair amount of pressure you can cut through many pages at a time. I have also used a good sharp box cutter.

This is what I do, and for the reason you mentioned--I just can't seem to make it out of the house when I need to, and when I do make it out, I forget the books! It takes a little while, but it's easy enough to do, and mindless enough that I can half-watch whatever the kids are watching on TV or something for myself if they're asleep. I put a piece of heavy-duty cardboard under where I'm working on the floor, I don't try to slice more than 15 or so pages at a time, and I make sure I slice away from my body! (I can just see trying to explain that injury at the emergency room :glare:)

I had a used book ruined once at an Office Supply store, and it made me a little leery of them. I think they do a better job with straight, new bindings.

This isn't my experience. I had my brand new copy of SOTW 1 AG ruined by Kinko's last year. I thought I would cry.

I only take things to Office Max now and <touch wood> they haven't ruined anything yet.

I think it's a circular saw :confused:

I can ask ds 10 in the AM.

Whatever it is, it does the trick.

That's an interesting way of doing it. I think our only power saw is a miter saw, and I can't see it working.

For a glued binding, I covered the book with a dishtowel and ironed it. The glue melted and I was able to disassemble it pretty easily. Then I used my rotary cutter to trim the glued edges off.

Ooh, that sounds a lot less dangerous. I may try this in the future. I don't get along too well with knives. Sometimes DH bans me from the kitchen when knives are bring used. It's really amazing that I still have all my fingertips. :glare:

gleefully:smash:

( sorry, I couldn't resist)

:lol:

I managed to get over to Office Depot, and they did a good job. The workbooks were thin enough that I figured they couldn't mess up too

much. ;)

I will try some of these ideas the next time I feel the urge to rip something apart. :D