Menu

Reusing curriculum?

bbrandonsmom

What do you guys who are using the same curric for more than one child do? Copy the pages, or purchase another student set? At first I thought I would just copy the student page (if allowed) and use for ds2. Then I realized I would be using a lot of ink.

So what has everyone found to be financially better-to copy, or to purchase if you can find what you need at a great deal?

It really depends on the actual curriculum. When it is something that has a consumable workbook portion, I buy another. If I know I really want to use it, I will go ahead and buy one while I can in case it is revised later.

If it something that my dd can do on separate paper, I have her do that. For example, she is doing Fallacy Detective. She is just writing the answers on notebook paper so that I can save the book for her brother. I will probably have him do the same so I can resell it.

Depends. If it is something like History Odyssey where all you need to copy is the maps, I copy. If it is something like Singapore Math, I'd recommend a workbook for each child and sharing the textbook without writing in it. Use a separate piece of paper, whiteboard, chalkboard or do the work orally together. Also you need to pay attention to the copyright info. Some materials give permission to copy, some don't. Aside from that we make use of page protectors which you can use dry erase markers on. I have a blank sheet of paper in a page protector in their Math binders for working out problems. Saves paper. Also a hundred number chart. For Writing With Ease I find one book works well and use separate lined paper for the copywork. I am actually planning to use lined paper inside of page protectors with fine line dry erase markers for this too. Each student has two pieces of lined paper in page protectors in their binder, one for me to write their copywork on, one for them to do the copywork. I may switch to pencil and paper if this doesn't go well. I am planning the same for Sequential Spelling, lined paper in a page protector for the student to write Spelling words on, then erase after the lesson. I also have reusable flashcards from tunzacards.com to use for Math, Vocab, Latin, etc, very handy and saves materials and $. There are lots of subjects you can use a whiteboard or chalkboard or do the work orally. :)

So far for core stuff like math and phonics, it is easier and cheaper for me to just replace the workbooks from Rod and Staff. They are not that expensive to begin with. I did find that it is cheaper for me to copy the entire student pages from SOTW at Kinko's as opposed to individually copying each page that I want, even if we don't use them all. I get them 3 hole punched and all I have to do is make each kiddo a 3 ring binder with all of their pages already there.

I've always just bought another student set.

Some of the IEW stuff has downloadable e-books for the reference material. For that, I save the noncomsumable pages to pass down to the next kid and only reprint the consumable pages. If I have more than one kid using it at a time, then they all have to have all of it.

I really prefer buying it already done.

I did have to make photocopies for my youngest for one of the math programs she was using. That had nothing to do with trying to save it though. She has visual processing issues and does best with BLACK print on WHITE paper. The paper was actually kind of a manilla color and my dd couldn't deal with it. I had to photocopy the pages for her to be able to read them. We abandoned that program after about one month.

So what if you bought a curriculum that doesn't allow copying of student pages. But that curriculum is no longer available and you want to use it with a second student? Then what?

Honestly? I'd copy the pages for the my second kid.

If you don't want to do that, you could just have one or both kids write their answers on paper instead of in the book. (if it's something that would work like that)

Well, if it's legal to copy the pages I usually do... such as Mindbenders. I've gone to buying a lot of curriculum digitally though. I realize I can't resell it, but I think in the long run printing off for 4 kids will be cheaper than rebuying workbooks. I just print at home for the most part... even if it's a bit more expensive to print at home (we have a laser so it's not too bad) it's easier for me to spread it over a longer period of time.

Our Latin cannot be copied so I have to buy new workbooks of that one. I think that's the only workbooks so far I have to replace.

I've learned I really appreciate the authors/companies that allow "in family" copying. :D

If it is out of print, I would copy the set I had.

Normally I buy student books for each kid. There are exceptions where either the student portion can't be purchased separately or we are doing it together and I just make an occasional copy for them to do a page on their own. So far, I have never copied an entire student book, even though I have a laser printer/copier that can do it for reasonable cost. I try to respect copyrights.

What do you guys who are using the same curric for more than one child do? Copy the pages, or purchase another student set? At first I thought I would just copy the student page (if allowed) and use for ds2. Then I realized I would be using a lot of ink.

So what has everyone found to be financially better-to copy, or to purchase if you can find what you need at a great deal?

How old? My littles use the workbook and I simply purchase a new one. After a certain age I expect my children to write in a spiral notebook so the workbook can be used for the next child. Penmanship is the only workbook the older children are allowed to write in. :D We go through spiral notebooks like they're going out of style, so I stock up during the summer school sales when they're running 10-15 cents a notebook. ;)

Depends. If I can "copy for my family" according to the sellers instructions, I do. If it's meant to be consumable, I will allow the youngest to write in it at the end of it's life.

If I hear something is going out of print, I rush to buy if I need to!

I also have a laser printer (so worth the investment as a long term hser), so I generally copy on my own. You should be able to figure out your per page expense and then do the math per item you're wanting to buy.

SOTW = make family copies

I sometimes have them use lined paper and save the original for resale.

Depends, really.