Menu

Does anyone ONLY use Math Mammoth? If you supplement it, what do you use?

golfcartmama

Well, I am doing MM with Singapore. I can't really say which is the main vs. the supplement, though- we do them equally and I love them both. My DD really likes them both, too.

Clear as mud, right?

Same here, only for us it's MUS instead of Singapore. I don't know that MM needs to be supplemented, but DD does better with MUS and DS does better with MM, so for now we're doing it all! :tongue_smilie:

I use MM by itself. I briefly supplemented with CWP (because I switched from Singapore to MM and already had the books), but I dropped CWP because it really didn't seem necessary. MM has plenty of practice problems, including good solid word problems, and the problems tend to be quite varied and challenging. If I had a mathy kid who really wanted more math, I would add in some games and puzzles, but I've found MM to be a very complete curriculum on its own.

Jackie

I use MM by itself. I briefly supplemented with CWP (because I switched from Singapore to MM and already had the books), but I dropped CWP because it really didn't seem necessary. MM has plenty of practice problems, including good solid word problems, and the problems tend to be quite varied and challenging. If I had a mathy kid who really wanted more math, I would add in some games and puzzles, but I've found MM to be a very complete curriculum on its own.

Jackie

I was wondering whether I should supplement MM with CWP. So just to clarify, does CWP add a depth to the concepts or in any way provide more of a challenge than the hardest problems in MM? Thanks.

We supplement with one page of MEP per day - it is free online too. It adds to MM. It has more problem solving/puzzle solving type questions. I really like the blend. If I had to use just one, MM is by far my favorite. Simple to implement. My children have gained so much. I actually can't wait to have them retested by our state this year bc/ I think they will have gained in leaps and bounds.

I was wondering whether I should supplement MM with CWP. So just to clarify, does CWP add a depth to the concepts or in any way provide more of a challenge than the hardest problems in MM? Thanks.

The problems in the CWP books aren't all "challenging" problems — the CWP books also include review problems, worked problems, practice problems, and "challenging" problems. I'd guess maybe 25% or so of the problems are listed as "challenging"? I didn't find the "challenging" problems to be harder than the hardest problems in MM, but there are more problems at that level in CWP than there are in MM. MM has extra challenging problems in a section called "Puzzle Corner," but there isn't a Puzzle Corner problem with every lesson.

I think the answer to the question "should I supplement with CWP" depends on why you would want to use it. IMO the CWP problems don't really "add depth" to a child's conceptual understanding, they just provide more practice with challenging word problems. For a child who loves challenging word problems, I would add them. But MM already has a LOT of good, strong, varied practice problems, so I personally wouldn't add CWP on top of what's in MM unless a child was really asking for it. I suppose you could substitute some of the CWP for the regular MM problems, but honestly I don't think it's worth the bother.

I think the clarity and quality of the conceptual explanations are the real keys to providing a child with a strong conceptual understanding of math, and I think this is the area where MM really excels. IMHO, adding a few extra problems that may be a tiny bit harder than the average in MM is not going to make any difference.

Jackie

The problems in the CWP books aren't all "challenging" problems — the CWP books also include review problems, worked problems, practice problems, and "challenging" problems. I'd guess maybe 25% or so of the problems are listed as "challenging"? I didn't find the "challenging" problems to be harder than the hardest problems in MM, but there are more problems at that level in CWP than there are in MM. MM has extra challenging problems in a section called "Puzzle Corner," but there isn't a Puzzle Corner problem with every lesson.

I think the answer to the question "should I supplement with CWP" depends on why you would want to use it. IMO the CWP problems don't really "add depth" to a child's conceptual understanding, they just provide more practice with challenging word problems. For a child who loves challenging word problems, I would add them. But MM already has a LOT of good, strong, varied practice problems, so I personally wouldn't add CWP on top of what's in MM unless a child was really asking for it. I suppose you could substitute some of the CWP for the regular MM problems, but honestly I don't think it's worth the bother.

I think the clarity and quality of the conceptual explanations are the real keys to providing a child with a strong conceptual understanding of math, and I think this is the area where MM really excels. IMHO, adding a few extra problems that may be a tiny bit harder than the average in MM is not going to make any difference.

Jackie

Jackie, thank you, your response is really helpful. I do wish that MM would add a few more Puzzle Corners - those are kind of fun. DD has been having difficulty with MM1 word problems like "how many more does A have than B" kind of problems - and we've done a few. She hates word problems so naturally I have to give her more of these :001_smile:. She's 5 so I'm not sure if the problem is maturity or something else like her Mommy never doing well on word problems and passing this gene to her.