Menu

For what age?

Elements of style is really basic - probably just review for most, but everyone recommends it.

I really like Weston's A Rulebook for Arguments - my 8th grader is using it. Covers (as the name implies) persuasive writing. Works well at the logic level.

And Kane's The New Oxford Guide to Writing. My freshman is using this now. It is very complete and would make a good teaher resourse if your child isn't ready to tack it on his own yet.

My oldest two are 7th & 8th grade. I am thinking of now, future, and review for myself.

I will look into the two suggested. Thanks. I just figure I would rather buy 10 good cheaper resources (that cover a broad range) than one expensive curriculum that I may end up not even liking.

Still looking for other suggestions if anyone has them. :)

I bought Lively Art of Writing a couple of years ago, and it's probably the best money I've spent on composition in all my years of homeschooling. My oldest used it in 8th grade as the sole writing component of English, and she really enjoyed it and learned a lot. If I recall, some of the assignments were a bit archaic, but she responded well to that.

I think I'm going to pull it out again this fall. :)

Denise,

I'm thinking more about this after having rereading all of your posts in this thread. I think reading a lot of different books is what is helping me the most, and so I tried to think of the books that I have read. Lost Tools of Writing is great for invention but Classical Rhetoric for the Modern Student covers a lot of the same groundfor invention, arrangement and style-it just doesn't break it down. It would be a good resource for you and an older edition would be fine. I second my recommendation of Writing To the Point. I really like the way it explains connecting sentences and paragraphs. It is a nice companion to The Lively Art of Writing. I have the 4th edition of Writing to the Point and have heard that it is the best. I really like Rhetorical Grammar instead of the elements of Style, but an old book by Foerster - Sentence and Thinking might be replacing it as my favorite of the sentence style work.