Menu

Please please help me with spelling!!!!

thowell

I am just about to pull my hair out.:banghead::banghead::banghead: Dsd11 just can not seem to get spelling. Ok history, nothing learned from the first 4 years in PS using traditional spelling programs. We have tried studied dictation and Sequential Spelling. I have had her watch Elizabeth's program and nothing is working. She spelled the word wide, whid yesterday. It seems like nothing is working. Please give me your suggestions and why you think this would be successful. We are just about to the end of our budget so any ideas are welcome.

I've used All About Spelling (AAS) for my terrible speller. It has improved his spelling...but I think he will just always not be that great of a speller. If it's been awhile since we've covered a word then he might forget how to spell it. However, he's done better with AAS than: Spelling Workout, Sequential Spelling, Time4learning spelling, and another program whose name is escaping me at the moment.

I started at the first level with him.

Alison

I've used All About Spelling (AAS) for my terrible speller. It has improved his spelling...but I think he will just always not be that great of a speller. If it's been awhile since we've covered a word then he might forget how to spell it. However, he's done better with AAS than: Spelling Workout, Sequential Spelling, Time4learning spelling, and another program whose name is escaping me at the moment.

I started at the first level with him.

Alison

:iagree: It has also given my kid a lot of confidence. She really likes spelling with the tiles.

We've been through 4 levels of AAS (my son just started level 5) and it's made a huge difference for my kids. The reasons why--1, it's multisensory, so they learn things in more than one way (sight, sound, and touch). That helps reinforce concepts. 2, it's incremental, so one thing is learned at a time, and they have a chance to master each concept. 3, it's based on the Orton-Gillingham phonograms which is very helpful for kids who struggle (and because it teaches the rules that hold true in our language 97% of the time), and 4, because the review is customizable. You can spend as much or as little time on a word or concept as you need. The lessons are scripted enough to teach the concept, but not overly so--and then the kids practice spelling with tiles and/or with writing (depending on their age you can do either or both), then they practice those words plus previously learned words through dictation, then they also have the words and concepts in a spelling review box. They review daily until things are mastered, and if they forget later, you can always bring it back into the review box.

Kids also get to practice writing their words in sentences they make up, starting midway through level 3.

For patterns that don't have specific rules, there are word banks and other visual methods to help kids learn. And the kids are taught word analysis skills so they can decide how to approach the spelling of a word. We struggled with a lot of programs before buying AAS, but it has really helped so much. I wrote more about it in my blog. HTH some! Merry :-)

How to Teach Spelling (Orton-Gillingham)

Phonetic Zoo (by the IEW people)

AAS

I've only used AAS & the TM from HtTS of these, but I prefer spelling to come with clear explanations for why words are spelled they way they are - the spelling/phonics rules. These programs incorporate that & are on my short list to get for when my boys are through w/ all levels of AAS.

I am using - and LOVE - AAS for my ds. He is almost 6, and he has a variety of issues that make spelling challenging for him. The good things going for him are that he has excellent phonemic awareness, and he is a good reader. However, he is somewhat dysgraphic, has some language processing issues, doesn't seem to have good visual memory (although he is a great sight word reader :confused:), and can't remember the rules very well. We flew through the first 15 lessons of Level 1, then got totally stuck when the "rules" governed the spelling of the word more than the sounds.

Sigh.

Anyway, I've had to adapt the structure of the AAS lessons for him quite a bit.

• The first day I introduce the new lesson, we do a word sort as described in the Words Their Way program. We talk about the patterns that we see before I "teach" the spelling rule. Then we paste the word sort on paper, and I write the "rule" on the sheet so we can store it in his spelling notebook.
  • The second day, we review, and then he simply copies the spelling words. Once is enough for him, but I suppose others might do more. This paper also goes in his spelling notebook.
  • The third day, we review, and then he builds the words with the tiles. Sometimes, I also ask him to do a worksheet that shows a list of words spelled correctly and incorrectly, and he has to identify the correct spelling. This seems to help him with visual memory.
  • The fourth day, again review, and he writes the words on a whiteboard. We do this mostly to help with the motor patterns of forming the words. We also brainstorm more words that fit the spelling pattern that we are learning.
  • The fifth day, we review, and he write phrases on lined paper. This also goes in his spelling notebook.
  • We continue to review previous spelling words, but I try not to overwhelm him with review. We try to move on, but I'll stay on a particular lesson for a while if he's just not getting it.

The manipulative aspect of the program is good reinforcement for ds, but it seems to be less important than the pattern-finding and the different ways that I try to reinforce visual memory. The rules help him to understand the "logic" in the way English words are constructed, but I notice that he can't quite bring up the rules while he is writing on his own, only in the context of the current week's lesson. He does, however, frequently correct himself if a word doesn't "look right." He doesn't always catch that though, but he's getting better.

He also really likes having a spelling notebook so he can see his progress. Our AAS progress chart is in there too. It's also a good reference for him to look over the spelling concepts that he has learned. He doesn't have to rely on me to pull out the review cards.

I can't really say if this would be successful for anyone else, but it is giving us a nice structure for our spelling lessons and a clear record of our spelling progress without too much repetitious writing.

Another vote for AAS. We started this with my then almost-nine-year-old last summer after floundering with other spelling programs. I can't say he's a whiz-bang speller now, but he does have the tools to figure out how many words are spelled because he has learned the rules behind them. We have gone through level one, two, and halfway through three in a year. It is a great feeling when you find a program that works with your struggling kid!

So if I can come up with the money for this what exactly do I have to have? Another question... even when sdd11 knows the rules she doesn't apply them in her writing, how do you correct this. For example after she misspelled the word wide we discussed it and she was able to then tell me how to spell it and why it was spelled that way but when she is writing she just doesn't apply them.

I happen to have one of those who knew the rules, but didn't apply them. She would spell the same word several different ways within one paragraph. I finally figured out that she was not able to think about what she was writing, and how she was writing it, at the same time. We tried all kinds of programs, but the thing that has helped her more than anything is allowing her to do daily writing on the computer with spell check on. Also, I will go over her writing with her when she is finished and correct with her right there. She is now 16, and spells much better than I would have ever thought possible. It was simply the repetition of correcting mistakes over and over. I have determined to do the same with my youngest, even though she seems to be a natural speller.

I am just about to pull my hair out.:banghead::banghead::banghead: Dsd11 just can not seem to get spelling. Ok history, nothing learned from the first 4 years in PS using traditional spelling programs. We have tried studied dictation and Sequential Spelling. I have had her watch Elizabeth's program and nothing is working. She spelled the word wide, whid yesterday. It seems like nothing is working. Please give me your suggestions and why you think this would be successful. We are just about to the end of our budget so any ideas are welcome.

Not sure if this will help or not~

I have always had trouble spelling. The trouble with me- is that I sound out the words differently than they are pronunciated. Many times I will sound out a word using a short e sound instead of a short i sound. For example- EN-clude- verses IN-clude... or collAge verses collEge. I know they are both proper words- but you get my point, right?

Anyhow, it might be her prob. Just a thought- You could try paying special attention to HOW she says words. If this is the case, you might want to do a pretty popular dictation/spelling process- You may have already tried it- but if you haven't paid attention to HOW she says words, it may work differently trying it this way:

You say the word

You use it in a sentence

You say the word again

SHE says the word

She writes the word

She says the word

Finally she says the word again.

Then of course correct it..

Also- if it is her prob, she may benifit if you over pronounce the words.

HTH

It looks like AAS could be a great solution for you.

I decided a few months ago to begin AAS with my 1st grader this coming year. I also have a 5th grader who is really struggling with spelling. DH and I came up with a plan to have our 5th grade DS be a "helper" during my 1st grader's AAS lessons so he can follow along and work with us but not feel like we are doing remedial work with him. I just told him about this idea the other day and he loved the idea!

I hope you can resolve your DD's spelling issues. I completely understand how you are feeling at this point.

Many spelling programs are nothing more than memory programs. If you have a struggling speller, memory programs only work so much.

I would go with a systematic and intensive spelling program such as AAS, Spell to Write and Read, Orton-Gillingham, Spalding, etc...

You will likely need to cycle through such a program more than once. I'm on the second round of Spell to Write and Read and my son is still improving. He's in high school now and he's almost at grade level! Who hoo!

So if I can come up with the money for this what exactly do I have to have? Another question... even when sdd11 knows the rules she doesn't apply them in her writing, how do you correct this. For example after she misspelled the word wide we discussed it and she was able to then tell me how to spell it and why it was spelled that way but when she is writing she just doesn't apply them.

You'll want the Starter kit (or at least the letter tiles and magnets) and then the level that you want to start with--either 1 or 2. There's an article in the FAQ to help you decide--you want to make sure your dd knows all of the concepts in level 1 & not just that she has memorized how to spell the words. When it asks if she knows the sounds for the phonograms, it means the multiple sounds--for example, O has 4 sounds, CH has 3, S has 2, etc...

If she needs 1, you may want to get level 2 at the same time as she'll probably go through it quickly. We only needed 3 weeks or so to get through the concepts in Level 1, but they are foundational.

It's a really good sign that she can tell you later how to spell the word correctly. Are you giving her a separate chance to edit her work? If not, make sure she has that time--it's hard, especially at this age, to come up with original thoughts and think about all the spelling and mechanics at the same time. Here's a blog article with more ideas on how to help her use her spelling skills in her writing.

HTH some! Merry :-)

Just a few short bits on Megawords ...

This is a syllabic approach that works with(continutes) the phonics. Each sound is spelled. There are five basic rules that need to be mastered before beginning the program. The student needs to be able to hear and divide words by their sound. Ex. pup-pet mas-ter

So ... for a weak phonics or bad spelling student, I would try this program. I did. It is well-suited to use with an older student. I am using it with a 9yo, soon to be 10, in the 4th grade. It is not remedial. Do not misunderstand. It does require you to be involved - quite a bit at first. You could very well not have the program work if you try and take shortcuts or treat it like a spelling book. You would need to read the TM to understand how to approach the lessons and how to proceed with each list. There are 8 lists in the first book. Each list teaches a syllabic spelling/phonics rule. Ex. VC, CV, VCCV, CVe, et cetera. This is a very similar way that the ps schools have tried to approach "decoding" words without actually implementing the full concept and method, LOL.

If you have any questions, please feel free to find me. :)

something else that would be helpful to use for a child that misses words in their regular schoolwork is a spelling notebook. There is one that you can buy that is not very expensive, I can't remember the name of it at the moment - maybe someone else will know what I am thinking of. Anyway the spelling notebook has a page or 2 for each spelling rule. You have the child look up the rule of the mispelled word and write the word on that page. It gives the child a visual of the words they are commonly missing. It also helps you to see where the weakness is and what rules really need to be worked on. It really is a nice tool. You could make your own notebook by making a page for each spelling rule along with an example word for the rule.

Do you need to go back to the basics of phonics? For the word 'wide', I would ask whether you hear a long or short 'i', and then talk about how the i is getting it's long sound..

something else that would be helpful to use for a child that misses words in their regular schoolwork is a spelling notebook. There is one that you can buy that is not very expensive, I can't remember the name of it at the moment - maybe someone else will know what I am thinking of. Anyway the spelling notebook has a page or 2 for each spelling rule. You have the child look up the rule of the mispelled word and write the word on that page. It gives the child a visual of the words they are commonly missing. It also helps you to see where the weakness is and what rules really need to be worked on. It really is a nice tool. You could make your own notebook by making a page for each spelling rule along with an example word for the rule.

Sounds like Tricks of the Trade. Neat resource.

Merry :-)

I've been in this game a long time. I know exactly where you are. I think only people who have true non-spellers can really relate. Some programs do help, but a non-speller is going to probably always have trouble spelling. At some point, you decide to back off a bit because they need to learn some content. For my non-spellers, it was the same as you are experiencing. For one of mine, SS was the most beneficial. I really think they could have used every single program out there (and sometimes it feels like we did!) and none of them would have given any improvement.

What really helped all three was....texting, using the internet, and consistent use of spellcheck. Typing on a program that has spellcheck is invaluable. They are instantly notified that their word is incorrectly spelled. They can easily be given a possible correctly spelled word. They do have to look and make sure that it is the word they want. It is not a perfect system, but for my kids it has worked better than anything else. They DO know all the spelling rules. Using them just doesn't seem to possible. My poor spellers are still not good at spelling. But, they aren't nearly as bad as they once were. Personally, I have come to the conclusion that it is genetic. Their father cannot spell either.:tongue_smilie:

Thank you all for the replies. I have decided to make a spelling notebook like an earlier post said and I am now between Spalding and SWR. I have ordered a copy of Spalding from paperback swap so hoping to get a look at this soon. While I think AAS looks great I just don't have the budget especially to have to continue to buy different levels. It looks as if Spalding, AAS, and SWR are all very similar in the technique so here is hoping something will work.

I would have to enter another vote for AAS. Simple, straightforward... my kids are learning the rules and they are applying them. If they make a mistake I have them look at the word to see if they can figure out their mistake. A lot of the time they can. If they can't I just remind them of the rule (if we've studied it) and most of the time I don't even have to finish the reminder they know right away how to fix it. It's pricey, but worth every dime I've spent on it (I've bought all 6 levels, my oldest is in 5)!