Menu

my mil...

sent my ps 8th grade daughter (13 yo) a have great first day back to school card and not any of my other children. I'm SO peeved by this.

My family is (shockingly enough) very pro-homeschooling. They have complete faith in me. More than I do actually. My mother in law made some weird comments to my daughter (13yo) when we ran into her at the store few weeks ago re: school. I really didn't think much of it. But I don't see her a lot. We don't have this awesome relationship anyway. I don't care what she thinks of me and I'm sure she feels the same about me. But to dis my kids so blatantly is so rude. It's not like they are babies and didn't notice they didn't get a card as well.

Some people are so obnoxious. I just needed to vent. Thanks

:mad:

Of course she did. You see, your dd is going to *real* school, not that fake-homeschool-school that your other kids will be 'doing'.

:D

I kid, I kid.

My mil was the same way. Always hated that I homeschool. Of course, she never said anything to my *face about it; just behind my back to my dh, and my sil, and my fil...

But my mil died 4 months ago. She was just 56. I know there wasn't much about me that she liked, including my homeschooling. But I'd give anything to have her back. I will forever miss that we never got to have the kind of relationship that I hear other about other ladies enjoying with their mils.

Try to let it roll off your back. I wouldn't say anything to her about it. Assume the best, which is that homeschooling is a bit foreign to her, and that she just doesn't think about it the same was as traditional schooling; and that she, of course, did not mean to offend you, let alone the other grandkids. Even if you're pretty sure she did. ;)

"Dear Grandma,

Thank you so much for the back to school card, we all had a great day.

Child one did A,B,C,D, E and F

Child two did A, B, C, D, G and H

Child three did etc

Etc

Etc

Etc.

Love Children 1-6"

(Put that in your pipe and smoke it, MIL, from DIL and Children 2-5.)

Rosie

My great-aunt was always very generous in purchasing new sneakers/shoes for my "schooled" children. Now that I am homeschooling these last two, back to school shopping is never mentioned. I guess she thinks that since we never leave the house they don't need shoes:tongue_smilie:

My great-aunt was always very generous in purchasing new sneakers/shoes for my "schooled" children. Now that I am homeschooling these last two, back to school shopping is never mentioned. I guess she thinks that since we never leave the house they don't need shoes:tongue_smilie:

Guess you haven't heard about the homeschooled shoe issue. You can tell a homeschooled child by his shoes, they always look new.:D

Honestly, it doesn't automatically sound like a "dis" of the other kids to me. Your one dd is *going*away* to school. That's different than staying at home to be home schooled. And I say that as a kid who was home schooled k-8 and a mom of home schooled kiddos. Yes, we're "starting school" soon, but it's not the same as going back to school in a building with new teachers and hundreds of other kids. It just isn't.

Yes, maybe your MIL *should* have been more fair and sent something to the other kids as well. But I think maybe your frustration with other aspects of her personality and your relationship is coloring your reaction to this one issue.

I do like the idea of sending a note back, "Arabella was so encouraged by your card on her first day back at Brickandmortar Middle School. She had a great day and is particularly excited about her underwater basket-weaving class. Bartholomew started 7th grade at home this year. We're excited about working through algebra together. Castor and Pollux are doing 5th together, and you know what they say, that which does not kill us... " etc. Send here a newsy note that acknowledges all the kids' first days.

Honestly, it doesn't automatically sound like a "dis" of the other kids to me. Your one dd is *going*away* to school. That's different than staying at home to be home schooled. And I say that as a kid who was home schooled k-8 and a mom of home schooled kiddos. Yes, we're "starting school" soon, but it's not the same as going back to school in a building with new teachers and hundreds of other kids. It just isn't.

Yes, maybe your MIL *should* have been more fair and sent something to the other kids as well. But I think maybe your frustration with other aspects of her personality and your relationship is coloring your reaction to this one issue.

I do like the idea of sending a note back, "Arabella was so encouraged by your card on her first day back at Brickandmortar Middle School. She had a great day and is particularly excited about her underwater basket-weaving class. Bartholomew started 7th grade at home this year. We're excited about working through algebra together. Castor and Pollux are doing 5th together, and you know what they say, that which does not kill us... " etc. Send here a newsy note that acknowledges all the kids' first days.

:iagree:

My family supports homeschooling, but if my ds goes to public school next year as planned, there will likely be a much bigger reaction from both grandmas. Not because they're favoring him, but because, like Abbey said, going to a brick and mortar school is more stressful.

"Dear Grandma,

Child three did etc

Etc

Etc

Etc.

Love Children 1-6"

Rosie

:lol:

"Dear Grandma,

Child three did etc

Etc

Etc

Etc.

Love Children 1-6"

Rosie

:lol: