Menu

Secular American History for Kindergarten?

Seraphina71

Am I asking too much:tongue_smilie:?

My 14yo daughter was going to be doing Sonlight 100 (secularly), but many of the books strike us as too easy, too boring, or both. So, we've decided to use Oak Meadow American History, while reading through the Hakim series, reading and listening to historical fiction and biographies, and making good use of Netflix.

My other child is only 5 and just beginning to really "do school" (kindergarten) this year. She is very bright but does not yet read, and she has a short attention span even for five. I'd like for her to study American History along with us, but I'm having a lot of trouble finding a secular spine at this level. I've found plenty for Ancient/World, but nothing at all for American. Does such a thing exist?

My two children are starting high school and kindergarten the same year my chronic illness has taken a turn for the worse and my husband has been forced to accept a substantial paycut at work. I know there are plenty of good picture books and such out there, and I have spent hours researching, but I'm having a really hard time putting together a plan this year. I don't suppose any of you have compiled a chronological list of picture books for American History? Has anyone used the Dover coloring books with children this age? Do they have a story, too, or are they just coloring pages?

I really appreciate any help you all can offer me.

-Michelle

I've been trying to find something to do an overview of Early American History for my little guys. I haven't found anything so I bought the Native American and Plymouth Colony History Pockets and I'm getting a lot of books from the library. I'm not planning to go into detail this year, I just want my son to be familiar with certain things (I have What your kindergartener needs to know and some of it is from that). We're covering: Native Americans, Explorers - Vikings and Columbus, Colonial Times, Pilgrims, American Revolution (G. Washington, B. Franklin), Westward Expansion/Gold Rush, Civil War (Lincoln, Slavery).

Do you really need something as official as a spine for a 5yo? Couldn't you read to her some of age-appropriate books? Jean Fritz's American Revolution books are very good and just about right for a 5yo, and there are lots of pioneer books and all that. Even Little House books would fit in there. Don't you think that would be enough for a 5yo?

:bigear:

I'm all ears on this too. We're vaguely planning to do US history for the year after this coming year, which will be 2nd grade for us. I've been keeping my eyes out for anyone to mention a great early elementary secular spine for U.S. - I've seen people point out some great resources (like the Jean Fritz books) but a spine is so useful for me to organize my own thoughts (even if we're loose about how we do it) and I've not seen anyone point out anything that looked good. It must be out there though, right?

:bigear:

I'm all ears on this too. We're vaguely planning to do US history for the year after this coming year, which will be 2nd grade for us. I've been keeping my eyes out for anyone to mention a great early elementary secular spine for U.S. - I've seen people point out some great resources (like the Jean Fritz books) but a spine is so useful for me to organize my own thoughts (even if we're loose about how we do it) and I've not seen anyone point out anything that looked good. It must be out there though, right?

You dont like Maestro's books?

I really appreciate all your replies.

Ellie, I certainly can and will read her plenty of age-appropriate books, but it would seem evident by my post that I do, in fact, feel I need some sort of a spine, even for a five year old. I am having a really rough year, and while SHE may not require it, I do. I think farrarwilliams explained it perfectly when she said "but a spine is so useful for me to organize my own thoughts (even if we're loose about how we do it)".

Calandalsmom, I think your suggestion of the Betsy Maestro's American Story series is exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you so much! It's a great series in its own right, but it also provides a clear outline of topics for additional reading. I'm so frazzled right now that I really want something that I can quickly look over to know which books I should be getting from the library when, you know?

Thanks again for all the great suggestions!

-Michelle

Ellie, I certainly can and will read her plenty of age-appropriate books, but it would seem evident by my post that I do, in fact, feel I need some sort of a spine, even for a five year old. I am having a really rough year, and while SHE may not require it, I do. I think farrarwilliams explained it perfectly when she said "but a spine is so useful for me to organize my own thoughts (even if we're loose about how we do it)".

I know you *feel* that way. I was hoping to help you analyze the situation to see if there was, in fact, another way to go for a 5yo child that wouldn't require something so official.

Betsy Maestro's Discovery of the Americas and etc should do the trick for a spine and then Id do tall tales for lit.

I only have the first in this series, but I really, really like it. I did read somewhere that the later books in the series were more suited to older children, but I haven't seen them.

Would it be possible to use the Baltimore Curriculum Project's free lesson plans for this? They cover American history, although I don't believe there's a spine for K. I can't remember.

Oh yes, and I completely forgot about the Guest Hollow curriculum. It's not secular, but it uses all living books, so it seems to me that it would be very, very easy to secularize. My plan for next summer is to try to use it secularly. It looks amazing and I so appreciate them putting it up for free. :)

Edited by Snowfall

Ellie,

Thank you once again for your concern. I think maybe there is some confusion about what I mean by "spine". I am certainly not looking for anything "official" for my little wiggle worm! The Maestro books are precisely what I was looking for: beautiful, concise, living books perfect for snuggling with and reading aloud. They also provide me with a concise chronological outline of topics, which I do find very helpful, indeed. I'm not sure why that seems overly "official" or otherwise undesirable to you.

I like to reserve my picture books online from the library each week, and having this framework makes it easy for me to quickly choose appropriate books. In the eight years I've been homeschooling, I've become partial to certain authors and titles for each age or stage. I love the "If you..." series, the "You Wouldn't Want to.." series and the "Picture Biography" series, for example. I don't really mind how much or how little we cover for each topic, but I do like to keep it chronological. With the stress I'm under this year, I appreciate having something to keep me moving in the right direction. From the other responses I got, it seems like I'm not the only one.

Normally, I wouldn't *feel* the need to justify my post, but I'm a little baffled by your response. I asked a perfectly reasonable question, and I received some specific recommendations, along with some replies from other folks with the same concern. I cannot, for the life of me, understand why you responded at all. I am an experienced homeschooling mother. Why would you feel the need to " help you analyze the situation to see if there was, in fact, another way to go for a 5yo child"? When did reading picture books together become "too official"? Sometimes, it's okay to say nothing.

-Michelle

I know I saw one of the Maestro books at some point, but I think I didn't realize there was more than one or two - so they could come together to be a "spine." Thanks. I'm definitely keeping those in mind for the future!

My kids are still really young, but one thing I've learned already is that for me personally, I don't really need a curriculum, but I do need a spine - even if my kids are just littles.

• 6 months later...
After ruling out BF Early American History Primary for my DS because I think it would be too difficult to adapt to our family's beliefs (we're Christian but not Evangelicals), I'm leaning towards using I Love America plus picture books that correspond to what his big sister will be studying in her spine.

Sorry to dig up an old post, but can I ask about this?

We are Episcopalian turned Presbyterian just b/c we couldn't find a local Episcopal church. So also Christian but I guess not Evangelical? Can you tell me what was troubling about Beautiful Feet to you?

I am struggling to find anything else for my kindergartners, and I really want to lightly do American history next year so they have some context for the stuff they are learning at Classical Conversations. I do feel like I need some sort of spine or framework FOR ME to be sure I'm not missing anything major! THANKS!

Thanks so much for bumping this up! I'm starting American History with my DD6 soon, and I'm totally psyched about the Betsy Maestro books!!!

Now here is such a stupid thing to be annoyed about. You can't get the whole series in hardback or the whole series in paperback. There are like 3 that are in hardback ONLY and 4 that are in paperback ONLY. That just drives the perfectionist in my CRAZY!!! :tongue_smilie:

After ruling out BF Early American History Primary for my DS because I think it would be too difficult to adapt to our family's beliefs (we're Christian but not Evangelicals), I'm leaning towards using I Love America plus picture books that correspond to what his big sister will be studying in her spine.

I liked this resource and I also love the Maestro books.

• 2 weeks later...
Betsy Maestro's Discovery of the Americas and etc should do the trick for a spine and then Id do tall tales for lit.

Thanks so much for this recommendation. After previewing at the library, I bought the first five books in this series, and have already read the first one and half of the second one out loud to my daughter.

They're great! I was just looking at Liberty or Death, and my husband and I both learned something we didn't know.

I was able to find ex-library copies at a great price through Better World Books.

We are Episcopalian turned Presbyterian just b/c we couldn't find a local Episcopal church. So also Christian but I guess not Evangelical? Can you tell me what was troubling about Beautiful Feet to you?

It's been several months since I looked through this at our local HS supply store, but IIRC it struck me as overly "Providential". You can see a sample page here that talks about Columbus as a special individual God uses to bring His gospel to the New World.

It's been several months since I looked through this at our local HS supply store, but IIRC it struck me as overly "Providential". You can see a sample page here that talks about Columbus as a special individual God uses to bring His gospel to the New World.

See this is the kind of stuff that freaks me out (like I was talking about in my other post)! I was raised attending the Episcopal church, but weekly attendance was solely for social purposes and there was no carryover into our lives. I truly became a Christian about 10 years ago, but having not grown up in a really Christian home and having gone to a public school, I don't know enough about Christianity to know how to teach the relationship between Christianity and history to my kids. I would likely have bought this, and thought "oh, this is what Christians believe - I better teach it this way to my kids".

The Betsy Maestro series that are in paperback are:

1. The Discovery of the Americas: From Prehistory Through the Age of Columbus

2. Exploration and Conquest: The Americas After Columbus: 1500-1620

3. The New Americans: Colonial Times: 1620-1689
  4. A More Perfect Union: The Story of Our Constitution

I also got The Story of the Statue of Liberty, also by Betsy Maestro.

I got them 4-for-3. Now I'm starting to collect the hardcovers, which are typically about $12.

The Betsy Maestro series that are in paperback are:

1. The Discovery of the Americas: From Prehistory Through the Age of Columbus

2. Exploration and Conquest: The Americas After Columbus: 1500-1620

3. The New Americans: Colonial Times: 1620-1689

4. A More Perfect Union: The Story of Our Constitution

I also got The Story of the Statue of Liberty, also by Betsy Maestro.

I got them 4-for-3. Now I'm starting to collect the hardcovers, which are typically about $12.

Great, thanks. I was hoping our library would have a better selection since she is a CT author. I want to have better access then just Inter Library Loans so I ended up ordering those same 4.

that is what I am using with my PK and 1st grader. You would have to do them in small chunks b/c they are long.

There are soooo many great picture book for Americna history though you could just a chronological read of picture books

Great thread, guys. We're currently reading This Country of Ours, but really it's a little heavy for us. We're all dreading reading it. I'm thinking of supplementing with more picture books and things like that, so this thread has been helpful. Thanks!! And :bigear: for anything else!!

rowan