Menu

nm

Tattarrattat

Well the whole Pluto thing is kind of new, so that chapter may have been written when Pluto was still a planet, but I'm not sure.

If you look at reviews on Amazon, a few of them also point out other historical errors but in my humble opinion, finding something that is completely accurate is very difficult, if not impossible.

I think its great that your daughter could point out something she knows isn't right. Means she's paying attention :tongue_smilie:.

*Disclaimer* My kids are still little and I have not used SOTW yet. Also I'm a little bitter about Pluto... :lol:

We recently bought Story of the World book 1, and DD8 has been reading through it. She just exclaimed a few minutes ago: " Mom, I don't agree with this. it says there are nine planets in our Solar System: Mercury, Venus, Mars, Earth, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto. But Pluto is not a planet, only a dwarf planet."

We have read in the past that there are now officially 8 planets only. I read the page on SOTW, and had to agree with my daughter. I just double checked online, according to IAU(International Astronomical Union):

Q: Based on this new definition, how many planets are there in our solar system?

A: There are eight planets in our Solar System; Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune.

http://www.iau.org/public_press/news/release/iau0603/questions_answers/

I feel a little frustrated. Now I'm not sure if it was wise to buy the series (I just ordered the other three books in the series a couple of days ago). Hopefully there are not too many errors in the rest of the text. I had to tell my daughter it's okay to question the accuracy of the text, and any author might make mistakes sometimes. But still...I wish...

I believe SOTW 1 was written before the whole Pluto's-Not-A-Planet deal.

We recently bought Story of the World book 1, and DD8 has been reading through it. She just exclaimed a few minutes ago: " Mom, I don't agree with this. it says there are nine planets in our Solar System: Mercury, Venus, Mars, Earth, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune, Pluto. But Pluto is not a planet, only a dwarf planet."

We have read in the past that there are now officially 8 planets only. I read the page on SOTW, and had to agree with my daughter. I just double checked online, according to IAU(International Astronomical Union):

Q: Based on this new definition, how many planets are there in our solar system?

A: There are eight planets in our Solar System; Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, Neptune.

http://www.iau.org/public_press/news/release/iau0603/questions_answers/

I feel a little frustrated. Now I'm not sure if it was wise to buy the series (I just ordered the other three books in the series a couple of days ago). Hopefully there are not too many errors in the rest of the text. I had to tell my daughter it's okay to question the accuracy of the text, and any author might make mistakes sometimes. But still...I wish...

Depending on the edition of the book, Pluto may have still been considered a planet when it was published. Pluto being removed from the "planet list" has happened very recently, within the past two years, if I recall correctly.

T.

The whole Pluto not being a planet thing is so recent that it's actually hard to find children's books (at the library, for example) that describe eight planets. We're doing earth science and astronomy this year, and while we've talked about Pluto not being a "real" planet anymore, we're still learning about it like it were one. I can't name any other dwarf planets off the top of my head, but I do have some general knowledge of Pluto. I think Pluto is important enough for my first grader to know about (as opposed to the other dwarf planets, no offense to them lol).

Yes, I thought about that too, and checked the publishing date of the book, it was printed in 2010 (though the revised version was dated 2006). I'll look into when they changed the definition of the planets, but at least I remember one of the planet books my son read about two years ago already mentioned eight planets. It was actually my son who first educated me on the change.

Maybe I shouldn't expect that they could update the information too frequently. But it's been a while, it'd be nice if they could update the information for a book printed in 2010.

P.S. I just checked wikipedia:

The first known Trans-Neptunian object (i.e. minor planet with a semi-major axis beyond Neptune). In 2006, Pluto was reclassified as a dwarf planet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planets

I just had to say that Pluto will always be a planet in our family. I love the Blue's Clue's planet song and you just can't sing it without Pluto being "really small". The ending just won't rhyme!:lol:

Seriously, the planet thing is a little new, and you can't expect every published book to keep up with little changes like that. It comes down to dates of publication, etc.

I think it's a great conversation starter about how science changes the rules based on the governing body's thought at the time. Here is an article about the vote. It says that less than 5% of the world's astronomers voted. Why do so few to get to make such big decision?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14489259/

I just had to say that Pluto will always be a planet in our family. I love the Blue's Clue's planet song and you just can't sing it without Pluto being "really small". The ending just won't rhyme!:lol:

Seriously, the planet thing is a little new, and you can't expect every published book to keep up with little changes like that. It comes down to dates of publication, etc.

I think it's a great conversation starter about how science changes the rules based on the governing body's thought at the time. Here is an article about the vote. It says that less than 5% of the world's astronomers voted. Why do so few to get to make such big decision?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14489259/

Thanks mom31257. That's a good suggestion. I agree it's hard to keep up the change, I just hope my daughter wouldn't lose her interest in the book. I still think it's good one, though we haven't officially started the study.

Yes, I personally would like to have Pluto included in the planets...

Thanks all for your comments. I will take it easy and just explain to my kids that they don't update a book that quickly sometimes.

Yes, I thought about that too, and checked the publishing date of the book, it was printed in 2010 (though the revised version was dated 2006). I'll look into when they changed the definition of the planets, but at least I remember one of the planet books my son read about two years ago already mentioned eight planets. It was actually my son who first educated me on the change.

Maybe I shouldn't expect that they could update the information too frequently. But it's been a while, it'd be nice if they could update the information for a book printed in 2010.

P.S. I just checked wikipedia:

The first known Trans-Neptunian object (i.e. minor planet with a semi-major axis beyond Neptune). In 2006, Pluto was reclassified as a dwarf planet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planets

Just so you know - you have a reprinting done in 2010, not a revision done in 2010. ;) I'm sure if they ever do a new revision, Pluto will be downgraded in the book. :tongue_smilie:

My ds7 asked one day for a big piece of cardboard and wrote 'B.B.P. (members only)' on it to hang on his clubhouse. WHen I asked him what it was he said "Bring Back Pluto". :lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I agree with Tabula Rasa. I don't know that you will ever find anything that is totally accurate.

And yes the whole Pluto thing happened so recently that many science texts have it listed as a planet. I know our Apologia does, as well as a R.E.A.L. Science Odyssey, since they were both before the decision to downgrade Pluto.