Menu

Rejoicing tonight!

No one here understands why I am so excited, so thanks in advance for letting me come here and jump up and down acting like an idiot since I am so happy! :D :hurray:

My three SPD kiddos, my other DS, my DH and I are currently on a two week long, 1,000 mile road trip/vacation to see my extended family...almost all of them! Two sets of grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, dogs, etc. As much as we love seeing our family, it is extremely hard on DD10, whose SPD/anxiety has raged out of control for several years. No routine, new bed, disturbed sleep, time change, too much excitement, crazy, sensory seeking little brothers...I'm sure you can imagine the drill. During the last visit, I think we had to restrain the poor thing 4-5 times and everyone was sad and unhappy that we struggled so to be together.

DD has been in OT for almost a year now...our therapist said that DD might surprise me this trip but I was afraid to believe her. Now, a week into the trip, I'm happy to say she was right! No meltdowns, freak-outs, hissy fits or bad behavior AT ALL! In fact, last night my sister kept her out until nearly 1:00 am at a rodeo, then had her sleep on the couch (I wasn't aware this was underway...) and today we had EVERYONE over for DD's birthday party. I was expecting a total mess today...but DD had a great time, acted like an angel and for the first time, I felt like I had a reasonably normal kid. We all had a beautiful day together! YIPPEEE!

No one here understands why I am so excited, so thanks for letting me come here and jump up and down acting like an idiot since I am so happy! I'll never doubt OT ever again!

:party::party::party:

Edited by Twinmom

:hurray::hurray::hurray:

I get it, and I am so happy for you.

Now I'm dying to know about OT and SPD, because I think my dd struggles with this as well.

Try this site for information on SPD and occupational therapy: http://www.sensory-processing-disorder.com/

Also, two books are great to get you started. My fav is Sensational Kids and another great one is The Out of Sync Child. Also, do a search on the special needs board and you'll find a wealth of posts on the subject!