Menu

Life of Fred just arrived!

phathui5

I ordered both Fractions and Decimals and Percents for dd for this coming school year, although I know she is ahead of them already. I just wanted her to have some fun math to do once a week, per TWTM recommendation. We'll be using TT7 during the rest of the week, and LOF on Fridays.

I'm really anxious to give it a try, especially after reading this thread!

:thumbup:

Blessings,

Lucinda

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I was just reading up on this one and trying to decide if I should get it for my 9 YO rising 4th grader. The humor in it seems right up his alley. Any thougths about when to introduce it? We are still finishing up Singapore 3 now.

I think the student is supposed to know all their addition, subtraction, multiplication and division facts before beginning the series.

I was just reading up on this one and trying to decide if I should get it for my 9 YO rising 4th grader. The humor in it seems right up his alley. Any thougths about when to introduce it? We are still finishing up Singapore 3 now.
Wait until after covering long division with multidigit divisors in 4A.

My 9 yo finished SM 3B before beginning LOF. I am using LOF as a supplement because I felt that SM hit fractions quickly and that he needed some more work on them to cement the concepts. I work side by side with him. We will finish the first half of the book this summer, begin SM 4A in the fall and then pick up LOF Fractions again as a supplement when he gets a bit further into 4A. As I looked at LOF, I realized that some of the concepts would be too advanced for him towards the middle/end of the book. Also, we choose to do ALL of the bridges, even if he "passes" them. The bridges are actually his favorite, and that gives him more practice. That is what is working for us.

All three of my kids did LOF Fractions the summer after finishing Singapore 4B. That has worked very well.

For those using it, are your children already good at math, average at math, or struggling with math? I have all three in my household and am trying to decide which ones it might work with.

Michelle

My son is good at math, but he struggles in other areas so math is a relative strength. I think it would be good for any type of student. We are using it primarily to cement the concepts. I will most likely keep using the series as a secondary math curriculum. My son loves it and asks to do it.:001_smile: