Menu

"Tasty" omega-3 vitamin?

Does it exist? I'd love to get the kids (and maybe myself) on some omega-3 vitamins because they both have problems that omega-3s are reputed to help and it certainly can't hurt me. The issue is that the last time I bought some the kids refused to take them because they were "gross." My kids eat darn near anything, but they refused those altogether. Suggestions? Links? Thanks!

Well, for adults and older kids, we just take pills we swallow and the taste doesn't matter. My 11 year old doesn't swallow giant pills but I've found some that are smaller. There are pills that say they are chewable (right now we have some that are doctor sears I think), but he prefers to swallow them with water, and they are small.

For my 8 year old, he has liked the coromega (little packets). His favorite of that was an orange with a hint of chocolate. (When we did that, we called it his pudding!) Right now he is doing Nordic omega 3 gummies. He loves those like a candy. They are like a gumdrop not a gummy bear -- he doesn't like most gummy vitamins that are harder like a gummy bear. I suspect these are all expensive but they affect his mood in a good way and so I'm just happy (for now) that they go down with out a fight. I used to try to sneak oil in things that but didn't seem to go well. Seeds in smoothies are good too but it doesn't go so well to sprinkle flax seeds in most of our food.

Does it exist? I'd love to get the kids (and maybe myself) on some omega-3 vitamins because they both have problems that omega-3s are reputed to help and it certainly can't hurt me. The issue is that the last time I bought some the kids refused to take them because they were "gross." My kids eat darn near anything, but they refused those altogether. Suggestions? Links? Thanks!

I'm using Carlson for Kids Chewable DHA for my kids. My ds is extremely picky about vitamins and thinks all the ones I have him take are gross (he hasn't mastered swallowing pills yet), but likes these.

One of my son loves the coromega orange chocolate. They come in little packets, so it was easy to make sure he got one everyday.

My vegetarian son and I take the Barlean's Omega Vegan Swirl. It's pomegranate berry and it has DHA in it.

I tried my mom's Barlean's Lemon Swirl. It taste like lemon meringue pie. It's delicious. And, they sometimes have it at our Costco for a fraction of the price.

All of these are emulsified products. They are not oily like regular fish-oil and they don't make us burpy.

I order all our vitamins through luckyvitamin.com.

We've used "L'il Critters Omega-3 Gummies," and my kiddos love them. They're pretty readily available at any store, although Costco has them at a better overall price.

Here's a link with a picture so you know what you're looking for:

http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Vitamins/Omega-3-Gummy-Fish-with-DHA/ID=prod3481009-product?V=G&ec=frgl_&ci_src=14110944&ci_sku=sku3479852

Yeah the Lil' Critters ones were the ones they refused to eat, but I am going to see about getting the Coromega because my friend will order them for me and use her Amazon Prime. She wants to get some for her daughter, too. If that doesn't work, Nordic Naturals will be my next choice. I'm glad to hear there seem to be some good alternatives out there. We don't have a Costco in our state, which frustrates me to no end. The kids can swallow small pills but not the big ones, especially DD. She's big for her age but has food texture issues, and large pills give her fits. Chewables are the best option.

Thanks for all the ideas!