Menu

How much work does/did your 6th grader do?

How many hours a day does/did your 6th grader spend on school?  

1. 1. How many hours a day does/did your 6th grader spend on school?

• 2 or less
    • more than 2 but 3 or less
    • more than 3 but 4 or less
    • more than 4 but 5 or less
    • more than 5 but 6 or less
    • more than 6

Wow! Are ya'll reporting "on task" time?!? I can't imagine 5, 6, or 7 hours each and every day for this age. We school year-round so maybe that makes a difference but we can complete everything in 3 hours of on task time.

Pegasus

:lol: And I'm sitting here wondering how others complete everything in 2, 3, or 4 hours of task time...:lol:

Well, it varies (and you didn't put "other"!). I put 4-5, but that's only because in my mind things are perfect and we always start at 9am sharp. However, the reality is that we are all still waking up or not up at all (dd) by that time. We are almost always done by 2p, but sometimes ds is still at it around 4p. And we don't often have classes on Fridays, but they do history reading on the weekends as well as during the week. So, for the whole week, my educated guess is roughly about 20+ hrs, and that's why we fall into the 4-5 category.

:lol: And I'm sitting here wondering how others complete everything in 2, 3, or 4 hours of task time...:lol:

:D Well, in case you are interested. Here is a typical day from January last year when DD was in 6th grade.

Math 30 minutes (Math U See Algebra I, she'd complete 1 sheet per day)

Freewriting 10 minutes

Writing program 20 minutes (Jump In assignment)

Spelling 5-10 minutes (Sequential Spelling)

Vocab 2 minutes (Vocab Cartoons, one page per day)

Literature 30 min (Lightning Literature)

History or Geography 30 min (alternated reading History of US and Don't Know Much about Geography)

Typing 15 min

Science 30 min (Powerhouse experiments)

We made good progress in everything.

So, just how does one spend 6 hours? :confused:

Pegasus

ETA - This are just estimated average times. Sometimes a subject took a little longer but sometimes it was finished quicker.

Edited by Pegasus

:D Well, in case you are interested. Here is a typical day from January last year when DD was in 6th grade.

Math 30 minutes (Math U See Algebra I, she'd complete 1 sheet per day)

Freewriting 10 minutes

Writing program 20 minutes (Jump In assignment)

Spelling 5-10 minutes (Sequential Spelling)

Vocab 2 minutes (Vocab Cartoons, one page per day)

Literature 30 min (Lightning Literature)

History or Geography 30 min (alternated reading History of US and Don't Know Much about Geography)

Typing 15 min

Science 30 min (Powerhouse experiments)

We made good progress in everything.

Pegasus

ETA - This are just estimated average times. Sometimes a subject took a little longer but sometimes it was finished quicker.

Saxon Alg. 1/2- 45 min (copying problems)

Doodling on notebook- 15 minutes

Latin- 30 min

Hiding in the bathroom-15 minutes

Pretending VfCR has gotten up and walked out of the house, never to be seen again- 15 minutes

Vocab- 15 minutes

Lightning Lit - 45 minutes

Daydreaming into binder- 15 minutes

Lunch

Science- 45 minutes

Trying to prove that the science text is wrong- 30 minutes

Music- 15 min looking for head phones, 15 min practicing scales

Writing- 20 minutes writing something that has nothing to do with the assignment. 25 minutes doing the assignment.

15 min. looking for binder to log the day's work.

That's what a 6 hour day can look like in our house! :glare:

Wow! Are ya'll reporting "on task" time?!? I can't imagine 5, 6, or 7 hours each and every day for this age. We school year-round so maybe that makes a difference but we can complete everything in 3 hours of on task time.

Pegasus

Are you following TWTM for the logic stage and getting everything done in 3 hours?

Saxon Alg. 1/2- 45 min (copying problems)

Doodling on notebook- 15 minutes

Latin- 30 min

Hiding in the bathroom-15 minutes

Pretending VfCR has gotten up and walked out of the house, never to be seen again- 15 minutes

Vocab- 15 minutes

Lightning Lit - 45 minutes

Daydreaming into binder- 15 minutes

Lunch

Science- 45 minutes

Trying to prove that the science text is wrong- 30 minutes

Music- 15 min looking for head phones, 15 min practicing scales

Writing- 20 minutes writing something that has nothing to do with the assignment. 25 minutes doing the assignment.

15 min. looking for binder to log the day's work.

That's what a 6 hour day can look like in our house! :glare:

:lol::lol::lol:

That's my house, too!

We also have 1 hour bathroom "breaks," 10 minutes lying on the floor complaining that "I don't know HOW to do it!," 15 minutes in the bedroom b/c they were sent there for being dramatic or yelling at the mama, 30 minutes to do chores that take 5, and endless minutes spent hiding somewhere with a book.

It's AMAZING how long it takes my kids to do things. :001_huh:

Oh, that is unless they want to go to the lake. If we're going to the lake they can do instrument practice, eat breakfast, get dressed, brush teeth, take care of pets, barn chores, and house chores in less than an hour! :glare:

Spelling: Sequential Spelling (15 minutes)

Vocabulary: Dynamic Literacy (10 minutes)

Grammar: Easy Grammar 6, Daily Grams (20 minutes)

Literature: Sonlight 6 Readers (30-45 minutes)

Writing: Writing Strands, WTM writing, Exploring Poetry (30 minutes)

Math: Life of Fred Pre-Algebra w/Biology (finish), Saxon 8/7, Daily Word Problems 6 (45 minutes)

History: Sonlight 6 (60 minutes)

Geography: Sonlight 6 (10 minutes)

Latin: Continue Latin Prep (30 minutes)

Spanish: Continue Getting Started With Spanish, possibly move into So You Really Want to Learn Spanish (20 minutes)

Logic: Blast Off With Logic books, Critical Thinking Book 1 & Book 2 (20 minutes)

Add to this piano (30 minutes), trumpet (10 minutes), and work for his public speaking class (15 minutes), and it's about 6 hours of work.

Some days it's 4-5 and others it's 5-6. But they also do an hour of swim team that I consider PE that I did not include in that. And they also like to work on Creative writing and Reading for pleasure which I do not include in that time. Those three things would add about 3-5 more hours on if I counted it. :lol:

I didn't count their Spanish (2x per week) and music classes (1x per week) and their writing/work for fun. Two of my three kids are writing right now at 7.30pm (one is writing a script, the other is writing a journal), my third child is reading but we finished school before lunch.

We get to nearly 6 hours by following a basic classical schedule as well as piano practice and extra science. Dd is on a competitive science team so in actuality, she will probably spend more toward 8 hrs./day this coming year. She finished her spelling program this past March but that will be replaced by Jensen's vocabulary which will take some time getting used to. If she's working hard, she could probably drop that number to 4-5 hours, not including science or piano.