Menu

Is it bad that I'm already planning 2 years ahead

I'm not sure why, I just feel the need to plan ahead.

I already have THIS year's curriculum bought and ready to go, and I'm working hard to convince myself there's no hurry for next years curriculum.

But I already have it kinda planned out. And I wanna buy it. NOW. I have a little bit of money "earmarked" for homeschool stuff (not spending till we are sure about employment situation though)...

LOL

Anyone else? Is it some sickness, like homeschool-curriculum-itis?

I just love seeing full shelves, with all the pretty books. BOOOOKS. They're so pretty and smell GOOD. I LOVE the smell of homeschool books. :lol:

Is it crazy? I hope not because that's me too!!

Not that I've filed anything past this school year but I've purchased some school books for future years because I got great deals...not because I "needed to" or "had to".. but because the price was right..

For example. I purchased...

Apologia Astronomy last year because we wanted to use that...and I knew we wanted to do Botany next...well I found someone that was selling the set for an amazing price..so I got Apologia Astronomy, Botany, Zoo 1, Zoo 2 and Zoo 3...for $50PPD :001_huh: I couldn't pass that up!

Then I wanted to buy HWT workbooks. BUT I knew we were going to be using them all so why pay additional shipping when I had the funds to get all the workbooks I need...So purchased Prek up to 4th grade in HWT workbooks!! But I did realize I would have to purchase another set for my middler and youngest but atleast my oldest is out of the way for this. Next tax return I'll purchase all sets of HWT wb's for my middler and my baby boy. Crazy right? LOL!

I don't plan/buy that far ahead because what is available can change. Something that I like much better may be on the market by then (including a new edition of what I had bought) or I may have gained a new insight into the best way to teach my kid that makes me change course, etc.

I haven't bought anything yet (in fact... I still haven't bought most of this years curriculum.. :tongue_smilie:) but I do have a sort of... 13 year plan. lol.

I already know what languages we are doing in what grades, where I want to be in a specific grade, have an idea of what type of curriculums I want to use.... I'm sure I'll have to tweak it as DD gets into her own groove, but it is so much fun planning it out! If something derails us, (or speeds us up) I'll just plan it all again! lol.

So, it started with me fooling around with history plans for my oldest 2, since I really only have 6 more years of history with them. You know, what do we want to cover in the time we have left? So then their plan impacts their younger sister, so I start planning my 8 yo's schedule through high school, too. Then, of course, while I'm at it I throw in my 4 yo and even the nursing baby...for whom I now have a tentative all-the-way through history plan!

Yeah. So 2 years is looking really sane to me right about now!

:tongue_smilie:

Been having this same ongoing conversation in our house...with 2 DCs starting high school work, and seeing the whole college entrance criteria (don't want to mess up our transcripts), also now with 3 DCs serious into sports and 4H multi-projects as well, wow, we plan far ahead now.

DW hhhhhhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaattttes it when things get too hectic or over-extended, so by planning far ahead, we can manage the '2 places @ one time' problems far in advance...

The planning works, but I think that it makes time pass by faster...is this explainable, in a quantum physics sort-of way?

Buying two years ahead might be risky, unless it's just a later grade of something you've been using for a couple years and know you love. Planning is good, though, even though you'll likely tweak things.

I'm obsessively planning right now, because ds is going into 8th grade this year, so it's time to at least tentatively map out all of high school. Yikes!

Wendi