Menu

Female content... How often do you have check-ups?

My baby is almost 10 months old, and I am realizing that from now on my "Gyn-routine" will not be pregnancy related...:001_unsure:

I am wondering how often I should see my gyn for check-ups...?

Birth control is not an issue and I am not having any problems...

All the guidelines I found on the net say three years... Does that sound right to you?

(My mom had cervical cancer in her mid-30s, so I have that on my mind...)

Thanks!

Since there is a family history of cervical cancer, I would ask the doctor how often you should be checked.

Completely agree. I've been told that the current recommendations are

a Pap smear every three years IF you don't have certain risk factors, but I have to think that your mom's history would be very relevant.

Regular check up is every other year, according to my doctor. BUT, she also says I should go to my gyn (who was my OB) every year for a breast exam. My gyn says i should see her every year for the breast exam and usually it is every three years for a pap but in my case I have to go every year for the pap too. I have had a base mammogram but then I was told with my history that I shouldn't get one every year - every other year or even three years is fine. So, I think you should ask your ob/gyn what she recommends.

In *your* case yearly.

I haven't been since I had my Endometiral Ablation when I was 24....I am 30 now.:o There is not any family hx of cancers, but I am having "issues" with my ovaries and endometriosis again. So for me, I need to go so we can get things taken care of once and for all.

I personally had cervical cancer about 20 years ago. It took over a year to get a clear reading. Then for several years I had to go every three months, then every six months, then once a year but ever since they changed the recommendation to every 3 years, that's how often I go. I don't need birth control and I don't have any problems and I haven't had a reoccurance so my dr. said every 3 years is fine for me. If I was using a hormonal method of BC then I would have to go once a year.