Menu

I need reassurance! I've never had a bad pap before and this honestly scares me. I've got to take some medication to make sure it wasn't anything bacterial throwing off the test and have another pap May 9. I know this is probably common. What have been your experiences with this? I don't want to worry for a month.:sad:

I was in college. Mine they called "abnormal". I had to retest and then again in 3 months. It was nothing. It seemed from the way it was handled that it was a very common occurence.

Although they left a message on my answering machine on a Friday afternoon and I had to worry about it all weekend. That part was irritating.

That was 12 years ago and I've never had another abnormal one or any other problems.

Marie

It's common to have a bad pap that shows "atypical squamus cells" - they can be caused by anything from an infection to dehydration to poor circulation. Pretty normal. But it's important to recheck and be certain. :) And that's just what your doc recommended.

Honestly, I think if there was a large concern that it was something truly worrisome, she'd have mentioned it, or scheduled your follow-up for an earlier time.

When I had cancer, they called me the day they got the pap results and wanted me in that afternoon for biopsies. Since you're scheduled to return in a month, and your doc recommended abx, it sounds like you're just a little "off" and she'd like to give you time to recalibrate.

Drink water. Breathe deeply. Take your meds. Eat well. You'll be okay. (I would tell you not to worry, but that's like telling a fish not to breathe in the water, isn't it? {{{hugs}}})

Dy

I was in college. Mine they called "abnormal". I had to retest and then again in 3 months. It was nothing. It seemed from the way it was handled that it was a very common occurence.

Although they left a message on my answering machine on a Friday afternoon and I had to worry about it all weekend. That part was irritating.

That was 12 years ago and I've never had another abnormal one or any other problems.

Marie

I'm pretty sure the nurse used the word abnormal as well, now that I think of it. I was just so shocked by the call that I was doing well to remember any of what she said!:001_smile:

I did read a bit online and though the online stuff normally scares the pants off of me, this time, I found it reassuring. I remember hearing friends mention an abnormal pap, but until it happens to you......

It is what it is. I've had two bad paps. The first did need a procedure to remove questionable cells, years later (soon after pregnancy) the second came back fine on the retest. Chances are it will be fine second time around. If it isn't, I can tell you the removal of the incriminating cells sounds scarier than it is. I've been free of them for 17ys. Remember that paps are used to catch any "potential" problems early enough to do something.

Be positive and relax:) Peace be w/you.

It's common to have a bad pap that shows "atypical squamus cells" - they can be caused by anything from an infection to dehydration to poor circulation. Pretty normal. But it's important to recheck and be certain. :) And that's just what your doc recommended.

Honestly, I think if there was a large concern that it was something truly worrisome, she'd have mentioned it, or scheduled your follow-up for an earlier time.

When I had cancer, they called me the day they got the pap results and wanted me in that afternoon for biopsies. Since you're scheduled to return in a month, and your doc recommended abx, it sounds like you're just a little "off" and she'd like to give you time to recalibrate.

Drink water. Breathe deeply. Take your meds. Eat well. You'll be okay. (I would tell you not to worry, but that's like telling a fish not to breathe in the water, isn't it? {{{hugs}}})

Dy

The nurse was reassuring and said nothing alarming other than "abnormal pap". She said that these tests are so delicate that a bacterial infection could throw it off, so I'm guessing the results weren't that off from normal. This doctor is very particular, so you are probably right in that if it was something bad, he would call me in immediately. Thanks for the reassurance!

I haven't read all of the responses...so forgive me if I'm repeating anyone else. I'm short on time, but wanted to answer you.

I would like to encourage you to relax. I have literally JUST returned from a colposcopy...which is one of the follow up methods to an "abnormal" or pap with "atypical cells". The fact that your follow up is scheduled for a month away is a great indication that your physician is not very concerned and that the appointment is due diligence follow up. My doc told me that the paps they do today are VERY sensitive. When my atypical cells showed up he immediately ordered some sort of cancer test on the cells they already had immediately. That came back negative for cancer. Therefore he scheduled me to come back in about 3 weeks (first available). If there had been any question, he would have had me back in the very next day. Today they did a colposcopy which is very similar to a pap. They rub a solution on your cervix and then shine a light on the area. Using a microscope, they look at the area and the doc can see if anything unusual shows up. Mine was clear. If something does show up, they go ahead and scrape that area or take a small biopsy. Then, there is an area of the cervix that is somewhat like a cave and the doc is unable to see it. To be cautious he scraped that area to submit for testing. He's confident nothing is there. To be thorough, I'll go back for the next pap in 6 months instead of a year. All of this is pretty typical follow up after an pap with atypical cells or "abnormal" or whatever and is due diligence to be sure.

The biggest encouragement is that if the doc was truly suspicious that something is wrong....he'd be seeing you WAY before May 9th!

Hope this helps!

lovemywhirlygirls

Yup - I had an abnormal and then a colposcopy and all turned out fine. The nurse who called to tell me about the 'abnormal' didn't explain anything other than that it could be a sign of cancer. I freaked out all weekend. They did a biopsy and all was fine. The doctor doing the colposcopy said it is most often just a lab error.

My colposcopy was uncomfortable and I cramped that evening. If you end up having one, you might want to take tylenol beforehand.

I actually had cancer and three seperate dr.s called me on the same day. They had me back in right away. The fact that a nurse called and that they don't want to see you again for a month is very encouraging. I know that it is hard not too worry but I am sure everything will be just fine.