Menu

For those about to start MCT, what is your second choice if it doesn't work out?

muffinmom

If I decide that I really dislike the grammar & writing portions of the "voyage" level, I'm leaning towards either Holt Elements of Language First Course or Traditions Warriner's Handbook First Course. Yes, they are public school texts, but I found a bunch of worksheets from EoL at this website and I have been really impressed.

ETA I'm not going to be even attempting MCT "voyage" level for quite a while. In the interim, my DD will be working through the Kilgallon books.

We plan to start the Island level in the fall.

Our plan B will be Rod & Staff. DS learned the material

just fine this past year in using G3. But he did complain

that it was a bit dry. We did read about 5 pages or so

of Grammar Island a few weeks ago. He really enjoyed

it. Here's hoping that it will stick! :001_smile:

I have MCT ready to start in a couple of months. But I guess I shouldn't put all my eggs in one basket. I would like to have a backup plan and was wondering what other people were thinking. My son will be in 3rd.

I'm putting all my eggs in one basket! :tongue_smilie: Hope it works out. I might combine with something like Writing Strands. For the record, we are moving from Island to Town level in the fall.

I have MCT ready to start in a couple of months. But I guess I shouldn't put all my eggs in one basket. I would like to have a backup plan and was wondering what other people were thinking. My son will be in 3rd.

I was planning on buying some time with GWG 3 and figure out what else I need to do....

I never thought of having a back-up plan for any curriculum if it "didn't work". I guess I have always crossed that bridge when I trip over it.

I don't like assuming a negative. Why research yet another thing before you even start? How long are you going to stick with it before you decide if it is working or not? MCT (or any curr.) is not magic, that you start and then *BING* "It's working!I see it!!!":D MCT has been around for a LONG time, just new to HS circles. I would say that it has proven the test of time, in a traditional school setting, and is easily translatable to the HS setting... it does work, is a great program and if its style works for you and your kids.... they will have a solid LA foundation.

I think you need to see it though for a while before you make a decision...unless there is whining and crying, or you are unhappy. You will not have missed anything, or messed anything up. It might seem odd at first (It didn't to me, but I can see where it would be for some people) but really, trust it. Relax. Don't put the cart before the horse.;)

sorry if I sound like a jerk.... I can't tell in the morning. By the afternoon I KNOW I am.

Edited by radiobrain
insert foot in mouth

If I decide that I really dislike the grammar & writing portions of the "voyage" level, I'm leaning towards either Holt Elements of Language First Course or Traditions Warriner's Handbook First Course. Yes, they are public school texts, but I found a bunch of worksheets from EoL at this website and I have been really impressed.

ETA I'm not going to be even attempting MCT "voyage" level for quite a while. In the interim, my DD will be working through the Kilgallon books.

I was looking at the worksheets... I like them, but would your 3rd grader be ready for them? Mine wouldn't, and language arts is one of his best subjects. If so, hats off to you!!

I never thought of having a back-up plan for any curriculum if it "didn't work". I guess I have always crossed that bridge when I trip over it.

I don't like assuming a negative.

sorry if I sound like a jerk.... I can't tell in the morning. By the afternoon I KNOW I am.

This is what I was thinking, which is really funny because with most things I tend to be pessimistic (or at least tend to be realistic; nothing is perfect, right?). But with homeschool curric. I find what I like, buy it and that's about it. The only book I have been unhappy with was Stobaugh and I did not have a back up plan for that.

And I don't think you sound like a jerk at all. You must be having a good morning!

I don't like assuming a negative. Why research yet another thing before you even start? How long are you going to stick with it before you decide if it is working or not? MCT (or any curr.) is not magic, that you start and then *BING* "It's working!I see it!!!":D MCT has been around for a LONG time, just new to HS circles. I would say that it has proven the test of time, in a traditional school setting, and is easily translatable to the HS setting... it does work, is a great program and if its style works for you and your kids.... they will have a solid LA foundation.

I think you need to see it though for a while before you make a decision...unless there is whining and crying, or you are unhappy. You will not have missed anything, or messed anything up. It might seem odd at first (It didn't to me, but I can see where it would be for some people) but really, trust it. Relax. Don't put the cart before the horse.;)

Sad, but true. I always assume the negative!:glare: I'm just the kind of person who likes to have everything thought out beforehand. I didn't want to be scrambling to research another LA program should MCT be a big failure. I actually think it will work pretty well around here. But I'm always planning for the worst case scenario. As usual. Don't I sound like a fun person to hang around with?:D

I have Rod and Staff that I used with my older two, if I have to. I don't think we will need it, though. Our MCT materials just arrived yesterday, and we all love them after looking through them (though I initially had trouble figuring out how I would schedule some of the books).

Comment added after reading some of the earlier replies: I don't plan back-ups for my curriculum, either. However, MCT was a last minute change to our plans. I had originally planned RS, and just switched to MCT this week after looking closely at the samples for the first time. This is the LA curriculum I have been trying to find since my oldest (just graduated homeschool) was in first grade. I wish I had stumbled across it in time to use it with my older two.

Edited by Spock

Spock - OT - Lovin' your avatar and screen name!!

Agreed. Although I am a Data fan more :D

Now on topic of MCT....you will probably not need another grammar program :D. We started using it hear and my son loves it! He loves it because it speaks so a child can understand and read. He reads it on his own aloud. I have found, at least with my kids, that if they can read it themselves they like it better and retain it more.

If I can I plan on using MCT all the way up.

Although I will say, shamefully, that I have also considered IEW. Although that program intimidates me!

I was looking at the worksheets... I like them, but would your 3rd grader be ready for them? Mine wouldn't, and language arts is one of his best subjects. If so, hats off to you!!

LA is her strongest subject and she's currently finishing up MCT's "town" level. When I gave her the 3rd grade ITBS she did extremely well on the LA portions. That said, her capitalization & punctuation scores were a bit lower than the rest of the LA subtests. The grammar programs I've tried with her haven't really included too much in the way mechanics beyond the very basics. So I've been having her do some of the EoL worksheets to supplement the MCT lessons.

I probably wouldn't attempt MCT "voyage" or EoL/Warriner's until probably 2nd semester of 4th grade at the earliest.