Menu

Bicycle Helmets

Do your children...  

1. 1. Do your children...

• have helmets, but you only see it as an extra item or have it because of law
    • have helmets, because you believe it is absolutely necessary and everyone should have one
    • not have helmets, because you think it's unnecessary and it's not law
    • not have helmets, but believe they should

If you do not want to wear a helmet do not ask a nurse if you should. :)

Yup. I have a dear friend who is a pediatric neurologist and his main work in the summer is with parents and children recovering from head injuries. Many time these injuries were sustained during what looked from the outside like very minor spills.

We live in an urban area, and our bikes are our primary mode of transport during about half the year. Helmets are just part of the routine, habit. We do have helmet laws for children (under 12?), I think.

We've ridden bikes in two provinces with slightly different laws...

Prince Edward Island - the law states that *everyone* (of all ages) must wear a helmet when riding or being a passenger. "Passenger" includes child seats and trailers. Parents can be fined if children under 16 do not have helmets, while 16 and older can be fined themselves.

(I think that at one time the PEI law was just for 16 and under and it didn't apply to the trail system - they've changed it though)

Alberta - the law states that all those *under 18 years of age* must wear a helmet when riding or being a passenger.(including child seats and trailers) Parents can be fined if those who are under 16 do not have helmets, while 16 and 17 year olds can be fined themselves. (The bit I looked up says that this is "consistent with how seatbelt legislation is enforced.)

Yes, we use bike helmets.

Around here, it's the law. Due to 2 of my kids having a history of seizures, they always wear helmets when on wheels. We start them as toddlers on the push bikes. Now, they ride the most at Grandma's in her yard and would probably be fine without them, but letting them ride one place without a helmet sets a precedent for not wearing one.

I haven't read all the replies -- very sad subject for me. You see, I lost my mom (my best friend) because she wasn't wearing a bike helmet. She was on a leisurely ride in the quiet neighborhood I grew up -- biking with my young niece. She was not wearing a helmet. We do not know what happened -- will never know -- but she fell off her bike. She died as a result of the head trauma caused by her fall. She was medivac'd (sp?) to one of the best trauma hospitals around, but never regained consciousness.

My boys will NEVER, EVER be without their helmet (DH and I also). They use them on anything with wheels. I let them be kids and I don't scare them about it, but they will ALWAYS wear helmets.

Please, please wear helmets. I never thought I would lose someone I loved so much this way.

Edited by mlktwins
to correct mispellings

:grouphug: So sorry for your loss.

I haven't read all the replies -- very sad subject for me. You see, I lost my mom (my best friend) because she wasn't wearing a bike helmet. She was on a leisurly ride in the quite neighborhood I grew up -- biking with my young niece. SHe was not wearing a helmet. We do not know what happened -- will never know -- but she fell off her bike. She died as a result of the head trauma caused by her fall. She was medivac'd (sp?) to one of the best trauma hospitals around, but never regained consciousness.

My boys will NEVER, EVER be without their helmet (DH and I also). They use them on anything with wheels. I let them be kids and I don't scare them about it, but they will ALWAYS wear helmets.

Please, please wear helmets. I never thought I would lose someone I loved so much this way.

We're semi-rural. I have my kids wear helmets "because they're supposed to". I don't even know what the law is here, but we do it anyway. I figure it's a good thing, even if I don't consider being helmet-less a HUGE risk.

Motorcyclists are not required to wear helmets (after a certain age and experience level) here.

I haven't read all the replies -- very sad subject for me. You see, I lost my mom (my best friend) because she wasn't wearing a bike helmet. She was on a leisurly ride in the quite neighborhood I grew up -- biking with my young niece. SHe was not wearing a helmet. We do not know what happened -- will never know -- but she fell off her bike. She died as a result of the head trauma caused by her fall. She was medivac'd (sp?) to one of the best trauma hospitals around, but never regained consciousness.

So very sorry to hear about this. :sad:

No kids yet, but I selected what I do for myself and what I will do for my kids.

We live in a city/suburban area. I think helmets should always be worn, because they are necessary. You will be much, MUCH better off in an accident if you are wearing a helmet than if you aren't. I also believe that the TX law requires children to wear them, if not adults, but I haven't checked that out myself. The summer camp I work at requires us to wear helmets if we are riding bikes for legal reasons.

Unfortunately my DH does not share my views if you're riding around, say, a field or country-ish area. However, I believe he will always wear a helmet when riding on roads/in traffic.