Menu

When school just needs to get "done" and a confession

My confession?

I do not like to homeschool my daughters. I never planned on homeschooling them and only started when they were in 3rd and 6th grades. We pulled them out of public school over night after moving to a large city. Before then, we lived in a nicer suburb where we did not have any problem with the schools. I literally had to google "california homeschooling" to get started, literally overnight.

I put them back into public school for 5th and 8th, only because my older dd drives me crazy. My younger one is so much easier in every.single.way.

Again, we had many more problems in the public school last year, so I pulled them out, thinking ANYTHING was better than the schools here and I'd just have to tough it out. The problem is my older dd, almost 16 has NO outside interests. All she wants to do is play video games and chat on her video game websites. We took those away. No problem. She has no friends, no interests and hates leaving the house. She is sassy, disrespectful and SPOILED, (our fault).

Right now, I'd love to send her to private school, but we cannot afford one.

I just want to get school "done" Right now, I don't even like being around her. I know this sounds awful. Maybe it's a teenage thing, but she is driving me crazy. She is manipulative to get her own way. I wanted to do Sonlight with her, but right now I am thinking of something she can do by herself, with little help from me.

I have Saxon for math, ACE for science. I am thinking of going with Lifepacs now for History and English and also LLATL gold.

This is such a hard time for me (us). I don't know what to do with her, other than have her graduate and ship her off to jr. college.

So, what I am asking is first off, do any of you have teens that you are have a tought time with and would you consider a curriculum such as LifePacs to get it done and call it a day?

Never have done the Life Pacs but we do Virtual courses. I don't do all on virtual because I think it could get dull. If your daughter would do the program independently and keep up at a reasonable pace then that might be a good solution. I think at her age (16) she sounds like she is going through hormone and adolescent changes. I think when they get like that, hard as it may feel when they are ornrey, that is when they need the most attention. I'd try to find a class you can do together that might not be 'academic' but fun to get things going in a positive direction. Example-maybe a sewing or cake decorating class at the hobby store or gardening, really anything that gets her excited. You might also look into getting her into some coop classes. She will have opportunity to meet and spend time with other homeschooled kids her age. Good luck. :)

Completely and totally understand. My 14/dd is the same way. Never wants to leave the house, loves to play her Pokemon games. I will say that pulling her out of school has changed her attitude though. Since she is getting the sleep she needs, she is much more pleasant to be around. I was going to make her volunteer at the hospital where I work at this summer but they had to have a TB skin test and I knew she would not allow that to happen so I am thinking about letting her volunteer at our local zoo.

I feel your pain though.

Edited by Mona100
Error

Never have done the Life Pacs but we do Virtual courses. I don't do all on virtual because I think it could get dull. If your daughter would do the program independently and keep up at a reasonable pace then that might be a good solution. I think at her age (16) she sounds like she is going through hormone and adolescent changes. I think when they get like that, hard as it may feel when they are ornrey, that is when they need the most attention. I'd try to find a class you can do together that might not be 'academic' but fun to get things going in a positive direction. Example-maybe a sewing or cake decorating class at the hobby store or gardening, really anything that gets her excited. You might also look into getting her into some coop classes. She will have opportunity to meet and spend time with other homeschooled kids her age. Good luck. :)

Thanks,

Unfortunately we live in a very unfriendly homeschool area and there are no co ops. I am going to look into the 4-H club though, she may like classes there

Completely and totally understand. My 14/dd is the same way. Never wants to leave the house, loves to play her Pokemon games. I will say that pulling her out of school has changed her attitude though. Since she is getting the sleep she needs, she is much more pleasant to be around. I was going to make her volunteer at the hospital where I work at this summer but they had to have a TB skin test and I knew she would not allow that to happen so I am thinking about letting her volunteer at our local zoo.

I feel your pain though.

Glad my kid is not the only one who likes video and Pokemon???? My dd just got into that one, at 15??? Yes, her attitude is better than at the public schools, but she is killin' me here at home

I have a 14yo son that is unpleasant to be around, mostly due to hormones, but partially due to our personalities. He wants his way. I want mine.

My son would play video games all day long if he got his way. It's a constant battle between us. Fortunately, he does enjoy sports, so that gives him at least one extra-curricular.

I would do several things:

1. Insist on a sport - team or individual

2. Insist on something in the fine arts area - music, choir, drama, art, etc.

3. Insist on a volunteer activity

For all these, you could investigate the opportunities in your area and allow your dd to choose among them.

Looking for independent curriculum, virtual schools, and/or community college sounds like a good idea.

I have a 14yo son that is unpleasant to be around, mostly due to hormones, but partially due to our personalities. He wants his way. I want mine.

My son would play video games all day long if he got his way. It's a constant battle between us. Fortunately, he does enjoy sports, so that gives him at least one extra-curricular.

I would do several things:

1. Insist on a sport - team or individual

2. Insist on something in the fine arts area - music, choir, drama, art, etc.

3. Insist on a volunteer activity

For all these, you could investigate the opportunities in your area and allow your dd to choose among them.

Looking for independent curriculum, virtual schools, and/or community college sounds like a good idea.

Thanks Sue,

She does volunteer with our local animal shelter once a week, but it involves interaction with animals only, no people! LOL guess i'ts better than nothing. She says she likes animals better than people, her grandma is the same...

I had a teen like this. I took her back to basics. What is required by law food, shelter and clothing. Everything else was removed. She was left alone in her bare room to consider her choices. She proceeded to start slamming the door, well the door came off. And she was again left to consider her choices. Everyone in the home ignored her bad behavior, and left her to her thoughts.

Remove the games, the computer, tv, radio, books, lamps, everything. Leave her a pillow, sheets, blanket and clothes. Make her earn everything back with continuous good behavior.

It took 2 weeks of brooding, but she came around. Sometimes drastic times take drastic measures.

I had a teen like this. I took her back to basics. What is required by law food, shelter and clothing. Everything else was removed. She was left alone in her bare room to consider her choices. She proceeded to start slamming the door, well the door came off. And she was again left to consider her choices. Everyone in the home ignored her bad behavior, and left her to her thoughts.

Remove the games, the computer, tv, radio, books, lamps, everything. Leave her a pillow, sheets, blanket and clothes. Make her earn everything back with continuous good behavior.

It took 2 weeks of brooding, but she came around. Sometimes drastic times take drastic measures.

Thanks!

Yes, we have taken the door off before. Actually her behavior is not that bad...she sasses once in awhile but she's not terribly bad. It's her "hatred" of school and fussing about school that's bad. I just need to have a "get er' done" curriculum at this time of our lives I believe

Thanks!

Yes, we have taken the door off before. Actually her behavior is not that bad...she sasses once in awhile but she's not terribly bad. It's her "hatred" of school and fussing about school that's bad. I just need to have a "get er' done" curriculum at this time of our lives I believe

She will only be short changing herself.... if you are going to go with "her er' done" Why not just have her take the GED and send her off to Junior College ????

She will only be short changing herself.... if you are going to go with "her er' done" Why not just have her take the GED and send her off to Junior College ????

I have considered this...The thing is we have tried Lit based curriculums and they are so stressful. I don't think i'd be short changing her by using some ACE and some Lifepacs. If it created peace in the home and we could concentrate on some outside activities and build a better relationship I feel it would be better. She will not be going straight to a 4 year college. She'll start with Jr. College if best.

Thanks!

What does she plan to do when she is done with homeschooling?

I have considered this...The thing is we have tried Lit based curriculums and they are so stressful. I don't think i'd be short changing her by using some ACE and some Lifepacs. If it created peace in the home and we could concentrate on some outside activities and build a better relationship I feel it would be better. She will not be going straight to a 4 year college. She'll start with Jr. College if best.

Have you asked her what she wants to use...... hand her schooling over to her. Tell her you quit, that it is her choice within reason what she does with the rest of her time. Then if she messes it up, it isn't on your head. I know she is just a teen, but she is old enough to start to take responsibility. You shouldn't be butting your head against the wall.

:grouphug:

Have you asked her what she wants to use...... hand her schooling over to her. Tell her you quit, that it is her choice within reason what she does with the rest of her time. Then if she messes it up, it isn't on your head. I know she is just a teen, but she is old enough to start to take responsibility. You shouldn't be butting your head against the wall.

Yes, I have asked her and she does not care! Literally, she says she does not care. Her interest in school is ZERO, that is why I am trying to figure out what would be best for me at this point. I do appreciate your comments!

We're fortunate to have co-ops available, although I still do teach one or two of her subjects (very light on the 'rigor' scale!) If we didn't, I might make use of the the online charter school option here in Ohio. I don't know if your state has anything like that.

It helps to get me out of the school equation... in two ways. First, she'll put forth a little more effort for others than for me, and they don't fall into the trap of letting her miss deadlines. Second, it gets school out of the middle of our relationship.

If you can't find an alternative method for school, then I encourage you to use what works, and don't worry too much about the educational fallout. The emotional and relational issues will have a more lasting impact on her life.

With a truly difficult teen, I think the best you can do is try to hang on to her heart. Even when I don't feel like it, I take her out for ice cream or shopping at Goodwill periodically. It's helped our relationship. I hope if I can ride this thing out and bring myself to keep forgiving her, we'll come out on the other side with something to build on.

Don't know if you're a Christian, but I pray like crazy for my daughter. I can't touch her heart, but He can, and I've definitely seen evidence that He is answering those prayers. (In His timing, of course, not mine...)

One last piece of advice: don't listen too closely to all the advice you'll get here. You're you, and she's her, and what worked for them may not work for you. People with 'easy' kids have lots of advice for those of us with the tough ones, but it's usually just discouraging and disheartening for me. (I should add that if I only had my son, and hadn't had my daughter, I'd be among the worse offenders in that regard!)

Again with the Christian content, but the Bible promises that if a Christian asks for wisdom, she will receive it.

Blessings,

Debbie

We're fortunate to have co-ops available, although I still do teach one or two of her subjects (very light on the 'rigor' scale!) If we didn't, I might make use of the the online charter school option here in Ohio. I don't know if your state has anything like that.

It helps to get me out of the school equation... in two ways. First, she'll put forth a little more effort for others than for me, and they don't fall into the trap of letting her miss deadlines. Second, it gets school out of the middle of our relationship.

If you can't find an alternative method for school, then I encourage you to use what works, and don't worry too much about the educational fallout. The emotional and relational issues will have a more lasting impact on her life.

With a truly difficult teen, I think the best you can do is try to hang on to her heart. Even when I don't feel like it, I take her out for ice cream or shopping at Goodwill periodically. It's helped our relationship. I hope if I can ride this thing out and bring myself to keep forgiving her, we'll come out on the other side with something to build on.

Don't know if you're a Christian, but I pray like crazy for my daughter. I can't touch her heart, but He can, and I've definitely seen evidence that He is answering those prayers. (In His timing, of course, not mine...)

One last piece of advice: don't listen too closely to all the advice you'll get here. You're you, and she's her, and what worked for them may not work for you. People with 'easy' kids have lots of advice for those of us with the tough ones, but it's usually just discouraging and disheartening for me. (I should add that if I only had my son, and hadn't had my daughter, I'd be among the worse offenders in that regard!)

Again with the Christian content, but the Bible promises that if a Christian asks for wisdom, she will receive it.

Blessings,

Debbie

Thanks Debbie,

This really helped me a lot right now. Yes, we are Christian. And as much as I love this board and the wise wisdom I find here, we are not WTM people. I do however, get wonderful curriculum advice. I know what we are capable of, and if I had started homeschooling from day one, I may have been a WTM mom. But I know what I can and cannot do. Right now, I want "simple" and something that gets the job done, and I'm pretty sure we'll go with the LifePac, ACE, Saxon route. I'd rather help build her self-esteem and relationship. Right now she feels everyone is against her. She hates her dad right now. And feels left out of the family, because we are big on outside activities and her younger sister is a competitve gymnast and she feels like we compare her to her sister.

I really want and need to spend some one on one time with her and nurture her gifts that she has.

I have a medium-hard child, so maybe I can chime in? My dd doesn't like her school work either, and it turns out it's because she had problems (vision, etc.). Is it possible you have an undiagnosed issue there? Spelling problems, math problems, we had lots of little red flags, but I never connected the dots. Might not even be the case for you, but I just wanted to toss it out as this totally "other" possibility.

Next, I'm such an extreme person (believe all the way or don't believe at all, very right or very wrong) that it never occurred to me that someone else could be different. My dh was just telling me of his conversion and how he rebelled (not outwardly but internally) for years, knowing the truth. What finally pushed him over was the confrontation by a loving coach who pointed out to him that many kids who leave high school and home on a certain path often don't turn, meaning his "I'll do it someday" might never happen. This shook him up so much, since he KNEW what the truth was and didn't want to end up in a bad place once he left the security and protection of home. In other words, don't underestimate the value of surrounding her with other christians who can connect with her while she's not listening to you.

My brother had that same issue with the jealousy, feeling like all the attention and praise went to me and not him. It's something that can get deep in their craw and last a long time. Does she have something she does well that you can nurture and praise?

I hope you get a breakthrough soon!

I had a thought about this, about handing over the schooling. I'm not sure if this would be appropriate, but if she says she doesn't care about school because that sets her up for not having to fail (if I don't care and don't do well, no skin off my nose), then maybe this might not work. But if she says she doesn't care because it's overwhelming to her, then why not have a look at all the questions that tigersgrowl has posted over the last few months? She's a rising 11th grader who is putting together her entire curriculum. She's been inspiring our whole family. :D

It may not be a good idea, looking through those posts, but the idea popped into my head so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Good luck.

OK this may be totally not your cup of tea, but have you seen the Teenage Liberation Handbook?

http://www.amazon.com/Teenage-Liberation-Handbook-School-Education/dp/0962959170

Obviously you'd want to check it out yourself before giving it to your daughter. But the reason I'm throwing in the suggestion is that it sounds like she is extremely unmotivated at the moment. And while you can make her do schoolwork, you can't make her develop self direction, motivation and determination to succeed in her field of interest: she needs to find that herself. So maybe throwing more responsibility at her would make her realize that she wants more out of life than unlimited video games. You can set some boundaries, and there will also be real life limits on what she can do (because of financial constraints, where you live, etc), but try getting her to take ownership of her education and her life.

If she really can't come up with any suggestions at all, you can do the 'Better This' game. You suggest something and she is not allowed to complain about it, she is only allowed to make constructive criticism. Ie she can't say "No way, I hate x" or "Are you kidding" or anything rude, but she can say "It would be better if I..." or "It would be better if I didn't have to..." And the dialog continues until you come up with something that she is willing to try and you are willing to facilitate.

My oldest is difficult. Like yours, she really doesn't have much in the way of interests. The thing that has saved us is that she was able to start taking classes at the community college last summer under dual credit rules. She was only able to take 2 classes/semester in the fall and spring, but since she got good grades, she was allowed to take 4 classes for this upcoming fall. The only thing she'll do at home is government/economics and she'll do those with Thinkwell so I don't have to be involved. I really need to be out of the picture and only come in as a cheerleader for her. She's a strong student, but she's extremely combative. The only subject that we really mesh with is math because it has ONE answer and it isn't ambiguous. We are finishing up precalculus and physics over the summer and then that will be it for us working together.

She has tried to find a job and has even had several interviews, but there are far more people looking for jobs than there are jobs available, so she hasn't been able to find one. I am still making her go fill out applications in a different shopping center at least 2x/month. She's already done about 30 applications so far this month.

If she had her druthers, she'd sit at her computer all day long and do nothing else. On the plus side, she has thoroughly enjoyed the cc classes she has taken so far: Psychology, Japanese, Drawing, Digital Imaging. Those at least get her out of the house.

I don't have issues like this with my middle dd at all. She is a joy to work with.

My youngest is difficult because she is dyslexic and it does affect her learning. She is at grade level in everything now, but math is a struggle. She wants to get done with school though, so she doesn't throw up roadblocks like her sister does. She doesn't like to have school hanging over her head.

Caroline, I totally understand.

There are days that I do not like to homeschool our twins.

My Dd is easy.

Ds is a pain.in.the.butt!!!!!!! :willy_nilly::eek::ack2::crying::angry::banghead::cursing:

But I know that it would be the same battles if he was in school... I know this because he has been in ps through 8th grade and it had been a horrible battle for 9 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He keeps saying our nagging is not helping :001_huh: .

But if we didn't nag him, he wouldn't get anything done :confused:.

One thing that I try to do is just let him do his thing... and let him suffer the consequences. It is so hard!!!!!!!!!!!!!

He says he wants to be an astrophysicist, he says he wants to take CC courses instead of high school courses, he says he wants to graduate by the end of 10th grade.

Well he can say that he wants all these things.... but he has to do these things to prove it. And he just isn't a do-er. So, I just back off when I feel myself loosing control of myself over his lack of doing things. I keep telling him (and me) that it won't matter how long it takes him to graduate high school because he just won't be graduating until he gets the work done. If he wants to take 2 yrs or 5 years... that is up to him.

And I tell him that I will not just sit back and let him fail... I will nag him as I see fit. He doesn't like it... well then he has to get things done before I start nagging.

I think we had this discussion on another forum. :)

You know, you could check with your community college, or even with more than one. Both of my dds began attending c.c. in San José when they were 14, not as dual-enrolled high school students but as college students, earning college credit. Yes, we paid per unit just like any other college student, but my dds only had to do high school once--the general education classes are mostly a repeat of high school, and there's no point in repeating them. You may not know this, but transfer students from the c.c. to Cal State or UC are *guaranteed* to be admitted, ahead of high school grads, and their high school careers are irrelevant.

It is possible that your dd could take classes now. Also, when she is 16 she can take the CHSPE (California High School Proficiency Exam), which is the equivalent of a high school diploma in California, and she could enroll in the c.c. then if not now.

And then there's always the tomato-staking POV: *requiring* your dd to be with you all.the.time. and rebuilding your relationship. That's kind of extreme, but many people report that after a painful beginning they and their dc became best friends.

I think we had this discussion on another forum. :)

You know, you could check with your community college, or even with more than one. Both of my dds began attending c.c. in San José when they were 14, not as dual-enrolled high school students but as college students, earning college credit. Yes, we paid per unit just like any other college student, but my dds only had to do high school once--the general education classes are mostly a repeat of high school, and there's no point in repeating them. You may not know this, but transfer students from the c.c. to Cal State or UC are *guaranteed* to be admitted, ahead of high school grads, and their high school careers are irrelevant.

It is possible that your dd could take classes now. Also, when she is 16 she can take the CHSPE (California High School Proficiency Exam), which is the equivalent of a high school diploma in California, and she could enroll in the c.c. then if not now.

And then there's always the tomato-staking POV: *requiring* your dd to be with you all.the.time. and rebuilding your relationship. That's kind of extreme, but many people report that after a painful beginning they and their dc became best friends.

Hi Ellie!

Nice to "see" you here! We are in Calif too and not too far from San Jose..wow!

She is entering 10th grade and my issue with CC is that she is just not mature enough in our opinion. I wanted to wait another year until 11th grade if possible, but I will go ahead and look at the catalog now.

Is it easy for homeschoolers to dual enroll here in Calif? What did they ask you to provide? I did not know about the "guarantee" This is encouraging. I may look into her entering next Spring at least.

HI Caroline,

My 14 yodd is very challenging for me as well. She'll be in her first year of high school next year. I've decided to let her do more online classes than ever before because at this point in our relationship, it's best if I can take school out of the equation as much as possible. I'm REALLY trying to focus on our relationship as much as I can now because I really believe that is more important than anything academic I could give her.

I wanted to tell you that I just heard Cynthis Tobias speak at our local convention. She's got a couple of titles that might be really helpful for parents like you and me.

Here is one and here is another.

The second one, especially, may resonate with you. I hope that helps some!!

Empathizing with you!!

I'm so glad to hear you say this. I LOVE Lit based curriculums, but they DON"T work for everyone. You can't force your children to like them. If you find something that works for her, and she is learning with it - than it has to be better than what you're doing. We moms are the queens of guilt:). This is something you have to get through, and I don't think there is anything wrong in getting through it the best way possible - for both of you. As long as you don't write of school all together, how can you go wrong? Just my opinion, of course.

Oh yeah, I think God designed the teenage years, with all their angst, so that when it comes time for them to leave, instead of boo-hooing, we're cheering!:D

Kristi

Hi Ellie!

Nice to "see" you here! We are in Calif too and not too far from San Jose..wow!

She is entering 10th grade and my issue with CC is that she is just not mature enough in our opinion. I wanted to wait another year until 11th grade if possible, but I will go ahead and look at the catalog now.

Is it easy for homeschoolers to dual enroll here in Calif? What did they ask you to provide? I did not know about the "guarantee" This is encouraging. I may look into her entering next Spring at least.

But how important is "maturity" if she's only taking a couple of classes, and you're taking her and picking her up? If she can do the work academically, "maturity" is not that big a deal, IMHO.

My dds began their c.c. years at Evergreen Valley College. Evergreen had two options: part-time high school student, and "student under 18 not enrolled in school." We chose the second option because we wanted dds to earn college credit, not high school credit. Other c.c. have different policies; you have to go in to the office with great fortitude and get chapter and verse on any policies.

There are some restrictions as far as dual enrollment. It varies by c.c. As I said, though, we didn't bother with that, although some are reluctant to enroll underage students as college students (instad of part-time high school students).

California c.c. don't require high school transcripts or SAT scores or anything. At the most, students will have to take a placement test (all students enrolling at Evergreen had to; some others require it only if the student is taking more than a certain number of units).

Your dd can take the CHSPE when she's 16 (or second semester of 10th grade, and then she could enroll in the c.c. with no problems whatsoever. It would also relieve you from having to comply with compulsory education requirements for her.

My oldest and I tend to clash. We let him pick his highschool curriculum, and he picked Life Pacs. He HATED them! Boring, boring, boring was all he could say, which caused further problems because he wasn't happy with them.... Just thought I'd throw that out there for info., just in case. Your dd may love them! :)

It's a tough call! He ended up getting more of a head on his shoulders and did BJU for 10th grade. It was tough, but he actually persevered and did well! Hopefully you find something that strikes your dd's fancy too!

I agree with finding things she's interested in and making a "big stink" over them! I mean that in a good way--show her you're interested in her and her interests!

Best wishes!

I'm sorry that I am late to the game...been absent due to losing my house and moving in with my parents!!!!

Anyway Noah is 14 can be a big pain in my backside when it comes to homeschooling and particularliy math!!!! He has been begging to go back to ps for high school so our compromise is ps online through Connections Academy. My logic is that I am still in control over the day, electives, and activities; I can act as advisor, tutor, and overall supporter; and he can go to his teachers for complaints, assignments, questions, etc.

To test this theory out on a trial basis to see where potential problems might crop up I enrolled him for 1 elective through National Connections Academy for summer 1 and we both loved it!!!! He was responsible for logging in daily, checking his calendar for what to do, completing his assignments, checking and corresponding through email, participating in live lessons, etc.

The best part of all of this is when he said he didn't know how to do something he would come to me and I would send him to his teacher. He was forced to communicate to get the job done. No hiding behind mom, putting things off, or yelling about how lame and stupid things were or that I was ruining his life because everything was setup by someone else. I was just available for moral support and help with technical support (our computer started acting funny)!!!

Believe it or not he enjoyed the class so much he worked ahead and finished the course 1 week early scored 97% and earned 1/2 a high school credit. He is now struttin around the house referring to himself as a high schooler with his chest all puffed out, lol!!!

Now I know this was just 1 class and elective to boot but this trial class has made me feel a lot more at ease about my decision to try this. He knows that if it does not work we go back to homeschool no ifs, ands, or buts. If he wants a crack at b&m ps hs he knows he has to earn the right to go. I plan to establish a written contract with him so he is clear about it. I'm thinking he is already realizing the benefit of being at home with eating, sleeping, and studying when and how he wants, lol!!!!

I hope this helps!

Jennifer

So, what I am asking is first off, do any of you have teens that you are have a tought time with and would you consider a curriculum such as LifePacs to get it done and call it a day?

Oldest ds isn't spoiled, but he just didn't really want to work very hard for mom. We used tutors, tutorials, and community college classes.

In CA can't you just put her in community college?

If so, I would certainly consider it.

Mandy

Edited by Mandy in TN