Menu

Do chickenpox have to be itchy?

Is that like a strict rule for chickenpox? Aiden, my 8 yr old, took his shirt off tonight and I noticed 10-15 red spots on his back. They have a white pussy thing in the middle of them. He says they aren't too itchy, only a little. I looked online and the pics look EXACTLY like chickenpox, but the site said "very itchy" It also said a possible fever (which he does not have). Anyway, just curious. My older son had a VERY mild case of chickenpox when he was 18 months old and I can't remember back that far. :D Oh and if it WAS chickenpox, would he have more in the AM?

All I remember about them is that a warm (or hot - but hot makes me nervous) bath will bring the rest of them out if it is chicken pox.

Hope he doesn't get uncomfortable.

He took a hot shower and has a few more now. :glare: One of them is VERY itchy now, but he said the others still aren't too bad. Ugh. I guess we'll see what he looks like in the morning. Thanks!

Is that like a strict rule for chickenpox? Aiden, my 8 yr old, took his shirt off tonight and I noticed 10-15 red spots on his back. They have a white pussy thing in the middle of them. He says they aren't too itchy, only a little. I looked online and the pics look EXACTLY like chickenpox, but the site said "very itchy" It also said a possible fever (which he does not have). Anyway, just curious. My older son had a VERY mild case of chickenpox when he was 18 months old and I can't remember back that far. :D Oh and if it WAS chickenpox, would he have more in the AM?

has he been swimming? i thought my kids had the pox a couple of summers ago...same thing...looked just like cp but didn't itch. turned out it was impetigo. my son ended up with boils so huge they left scars. i'd check with your dr to be sure. if it is impetigo they need antibiotics.

has he been swimming? i thought my kids had the pox a couple of summers ago...same thing...looked just like cp but didn't itch. turned out it was impetigo. my son ended up with boils so huge they left scars. i'd check with your dr to be sure. if it is impetigo they need antibiotics.

Oh barf. Yes, we've been swimming. Can you get that on your back?

Oh barf. Yes, we've been swimming. Can you get that on your back?

Impetigo can 'come up' anywhere. It is incredibly contagious - very, very contagious. When I was a kid, I don't remember exactly where it began, but in about 2 days, every kid in our neighborhood had it. The pediatrician that we all went to lived three houses up - he went to everyone's house, diagnosed, and prescribed.

As far as the chicken pox, when my dd had them many years ago, she had ONE that was itchy - the first one that came out, but the others, not so much.

You will want the doctor to rule determine what you are dealing with, though. Sorry.

And yes, they must itch. It's the law. :001_smile:

My mother gave me the chicken pox on purpose :glare:. My friend had them so she sent me over there and made us go swimming in a kiddie pool together:glare: She wanted to "get it over with" :glare:

I had the WORST case. The dr could not believe how many I had. I had them in EVERY. little spot a person could imagine-- and them some. I mean EVERYWHERE they should NOT be. And they itched.SO.STINKING.BAD. I remember scratching til I was bloody. And I have scars. :glare: Never do that to your children.

Sorry-- rant/whine over

My mother gave me the chicken pox on purpose :glare:. My friend had them so she sent me over there and made us go swimming in a kiddie pool together:glare: She wanted to "get it over with" :glare:

I had the WORST case. The dr could not believe how many I had. I had them in EVERY. little spot a person could imagine-- and them some. I mean EVERYWHERE they should NOT be. And they itched.SO.STINKING.BAD. I remember scratching til I was bloody. And I have scars. :glare: Never do that to your children.

Sorry-- rant/whine over

I am so sorry you have a bad reaction.

The CP vaccine has only been available in the US since 1995. I am sure your mom had your best interests in mind. It can be life threatening if you get it as an adult.

I still have a few scars as well but there wasn't another good option then.

:grouphug:

Edited by Sis

My kids had chicken pox last year. They were incredibly itchy. DS 14 got them first, he only had them on his back. all the rest got them 5 days later, they had them really bad. I had to take one dc to the doctors, because he had one on his eye. They had spots all over their body, on their gums, and down their throat.

It can be life threatening if you get it as an adult.

I was 28 - yes 28 - when I got chicken pox. I was teaching second grade (in hot, humid Miami) at the time and back in the '80s, second grade was the popular time for the chicken pox to appear. I swept through all 6 second grade classes.

I have NEVER been so sick in my entire life. Wound up in the hospital because the pox actually got on my esophagus and was making it hard to breathe. And they were soooo itchy! I missed close to 7 weeks of work.

As my doctor explained it to me, chicken pox is a childhood illness and thus, a child's body knows how to cope with the illness better. Once an adult, the body doesn't know what to do with this crazy invader.

The CP vaccine has only been available in the US since 1995.

Yes, and my son is proof that it doesn't always work! We also found out that CP present differently when the child has been immunized - there are fewer of them (thankfully), but they don't all blister, making it hard for the dr. to tell if it is varicella or something else. The pediatrician treated for CP, then drew a titer a couple of years later to confirm that he is immune.

Yes, and my son is proof that it doesn't always work! We also found out that CP present differently when the child has been immunized - there are fewer of them (thankfully), but they don't all blister, making it hard for the dr. to tell if it is varicella or something else. The pediatrician treated for CP, then drew a titer a couple of years later to confirm that he is immune.

Wow, that is strange.

I haven't immunized my children for CP, I am going to try and expose them but if they don't get it by eleven I would give them the shot. I wouldn't want my children to get it as adults.

I was 28 - yes 28 - when I got chicken pox. I was teaching second grade (in hot, humid Miami) at the time and back in the '80s, second grade was the popular time for the chicken pox to appear. I swept through all 6 second grade classes.

I have NEVER been so sick in my entire life. Wound up in the hospital because the pox actually got on my esophagus and was making it hard to breathe. And they were soooo itchy! I missed close to 7 weeks of work.

Yikes!! That sounds awful!