Menu

s/o Moby Dick

Well, not really s/o but......

did you know the ban on commercial whaling might be lifted next week? :crying:

I remember signing petitions and writing letters on the anti whaling campaign in the early 80's. The ban was passed in 86 but never fully implemented & we've had rogue whaling the entire time. Now it seems that rather than enforcing the ban or strengthening it (b/e it's not working) there's a plan to 'compromise' and lift it for 10 years, which would allow commercial whaling to resume, even in sanctuaries. :thumbdown:

Send a petition to your rep at the IWC through the Humane Society International's site:

http://e-activist.com/ea-campaign/clientcampaign.do?ea.client.id=105&ea.campaign.id=6769

What?!

Is there a market for whatever it is that we get from whales? (I'm rattling the old brain pan to remember my visit to Mystic Seaport back when I was small.) I will look this up, but you might already know: what contains whale products? I'm thinking for future reference, so I can avoid them. I'll also check out the link.

Gah.

Whaaa...? Sickening!

jane (who wonders if Bill, in his new persona, will support this measure.)

Well, I think we would have to exclude from a prohibition on whale hunting any white or "formerly white" (thank you BP) whales if you want my support ;) :D

Bill

What?!

Is there a market for whatever it is that we get from whales? (I'm rattling the old brain pan to remember my visit to Mystic Seaport back when I was small.) I will look this up, but you might already know: what contains whale products? I'm thinking for future reference, so I can avoid them. I'll also check out the link.

Gah.

We had a fancy sushi place here in Santa Monica get busted (badly) for covertly serving whale meat. "The Cove" producers were involved in the sting, if memory serves.

Bill

I don't even know what to say. I'm furious, sick to my stomach, and wondering how I'm going to tell my dd about this. She loves all animals, but whales are special to her. She loves Whale Wars and considers those people heros. She's going to be furious and devastated. She doesn't understand how people can hunt whales and I can't help her because I hate it, too.

Thanks HB for the update. I'd been following some of this, but hadn't heard that yet.

Well, not really s/o but......

did you know the ban on commercial whaling might be lifted next week? :crying:

I remember signing petitions and writing letters on the anti whaling campaign in the early 80's. The ban was passed in 86 but never fully implemented & we've had rogue whaling the entire time. Now it seems that rather than enforcing the ban or strengthening it (b/e it's not working) there's a plan to 'compromise' and lift it for 10 years, which would allow commercial whaling to resume, even in sanctuaries. :thumbdown:

Send a petition to your rep at the IWC through the Humane Society International's site:

http://e-activist.com/ea-campaign/clientcampaign.do?ea.client.id=105&ea.campaign.id=6769

I'm so sorry to hear this -- I wrote all those letters in the late 70s and early 80s and I was in high school. I still remember the giant packets of info I'd get back from the Japanese Embassy. My kids are really into whales and will be bummed as well. Can I admit on this board my kids and I watch Whale Wars and root for the Sea Shepherds (though Paul Watson drives me crazy)?

I'm really bothered by how Japan and Norway have stacked the IWC with "pro whaling" countries, whos pro stance have been purchased. Thanks for the heads up, I've filed mine, but I'm pretty sure Australia is adamantly Anti anyway, it's the pro countries that need that the most!!

Edited by keptwoman