Menu

I need to eat a low glycemic diet. If you follow one, can you

The first thing that comes to mind is eggs. An omelet with veggies such as tomato, spinach, green pepper, mushrooms, onions, etc. Oatmeal, depending on how low you need to go. My breakfast is 1/4c regular oatmeal, cooked in the microwave with just enough water to moisten for 30 seconds, 1 Tbls ground flax seed, cinnamon to taste, 1/2 oz. walnuts, 1 green apple, chopped, and some other fruit such as blueberries, strawberries, etc.

I don't eat one, but my friend does. For breakfast she had a lot of fruit, crushed ice, and a powdered whey protein all in a smoothie form (she was just a month into it. I think hers is also a cleanse, but it seems to me to be extremely low glycemic to begin). After the first month of hers, she was recently given permission to have eggs (scrambled or fried with olive oil or coconut oil, and sea salt ) with a fruit salad.

My husband and I did low GI foods until shortly after I got pregnant. We eat differently than most people though because gluten makes him sick as a dog (He can't eat anything made from wheat flour, barley and a couple of other grains.)

Our meals consisted of meat, 2 cans of vegetables (1 a piece but we always did half and half) and 1/2 of a sweet potato a piece. Hamsteak cooked on the grill is quick and easy for breakfast. We also ate plain yogurt with berries and a small amt of splenda, cheese, nuts, kidney beans, pinto beans, and other beans, salads with lower carb counts dressing but not low fat, & peanut m & m's. The peanut m & m's are considered low gi, but we still tried to limit these to 1 serving per day. We did get to where we ate a small serving of white potatoes on an occassion.

I know that there are some breads that you can eat, but you'll have to look those up.

Our baby was due this past Sunday and as soon as I have the baby and all of our families leave, we are going to go back to the low GI diet.

Both my husband and I were loosing weight very well on this and it really wasn't too hard to stick to.

My ds MUST eat low glycemic at breakfast or he CANNOT do school the whole day! He does well if he avoids any high carb food like breads, pasta, cereal, and oatmeal. He also must avoids beans then. No, he cannot have even high fiber cereals. He must avoid milk at breakfast too because there is too much lactose (milk sugar) in it. And most fruits except grapefruit and strawberries (seved with NO sugar) are totally out of the question at that time.

As far as what he CAN eat at breakfast and feel well with, it's pretty simple: low glycemic vegetables and meat. That's it. The low glycemic vegetables that we use are the frozen veggie mixes. These are sometimes labeled as "stir fry" mixes or "California mixed" or some other such style. The meats are hamburger, chicken and tuna. There a lot of ways to vary that meat/veggie combination with mix-ins like cheese, sour cream, a little of not-too-sweet bbq sauce, and the like. And the meats can be cooked all at one time and frozen in serving sized portions. At breakfast, thaw in the microwave and add to the sauteed veggies. Top with sauce or cheese.

So short version: meat and veggies for breakfast.

At lunch he can have a little high glycemic carbs but he really packs them in at supper and at his before-bed snacktime. The high carbs and losts of calories late at night seem to tide him over better for the next morning too. Or maybe it's that they help him sleep better. I don't know why this is, but he is best able to not get drowsy and to have very long times of concetration if he eats this way.

hth!

Edited by TerriKY

For breakfast he eats oatmeal. He likes it fine without sweetener. He adds strawberries to it usually, as they have a lower GI than other fruit, or sometimes blueberries, although they are medium GI.

Sometimes he puts nuts on it instead--usually peanuts.

If not oatmeal, he will sometimes have a one egg omelet with tomatoes and onions.

For his other meals he tends to eat very large green and veggie salads with some kind of protein--lean fish, lean meat, chicken breast, garbanzo beans, kidney beans, canned tuna, canned salmon--that kind of thing.

He lost quite a bit of weight when he started this diet, and he has kept it off. He thinks he has staved off diabetes. I hope he's right. Both of his parents have it, and it becomes increasingly difficult to control the longer you have it.