Menu

OK, seriously, your fave Geometry and why...

Dd is has finished her last chapter of geometry and she's been reviewing for the test today. There's been crying and yelling and even chest pains. There are a few lessons that follow under the heading "additional topics," but honestly I've about had it.

Ooohh, she just, as in right this minute, came in glaring, and I was scared that we had to do more geometry. Then she said, "Sorry." Love is greater than geometry.

:lol:

It's because of geometry that we went running to Seton! My daughter could probably tell you the difference between the three, but honestly I haven't a clue! :tongue_smilie: You should see the stack of index cards she has with all the definitions, postulates and theorems written out. And every proof has several different acceptable ways of solving, but the "solutions manual" we had only gave us one. Dd would read hers, and while everything seemed to flow okay, I didn't know for sure if it was missing any steps or if the reasons were exactly right. So I'd make her do it over their way ... Yeah - it was a rough year. :tongue_smilie:

Love is infinitely greater than geometry!!! :001_smile:

• 4 weeks later...

Stacey,

I'm surprised that you haven't gotten more feedback. We will be using Jacob's Geometry next year. I chose it mostly because it seems to be the most popular here. I was able to check out a number of Geometry books through our library and inter-library loan. Is that a possibility for you?

ETA: As a bonus, there is a schedule for Jacob's in this thread.

I see good things mentioned about Chalkdust as well.

HTH!

Edited by Sue in St Pete

Hey Stacy,

I'm in the same boat. I used Merrill for Geometry with my oldest and that worked out okay. It's not rigorous by any means, but it got the job done. She managed to excel in Trig and three levels of Calculus without a rigorous, proof-based Geometry.

My next child took Geometry at her Classical school. The course was top-notch and I have no hopes of reproducing it at home, so I'm not even going to try. But now I have to do Geometry with my rising 9th grader. I'm looking for something between the Merrill and the Classical stuff my other daughter did. I'm considering Holt Geometry this time around, but Jann in TX has both excited me and scared me off this program by turns. Here's a thread link about it: http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193317&highlight=holt+geometry

and another http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=193002&highlight=holt+geometry

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I am looking at the AoPS. I've been reading old threads and am thinking the MUS might not be rigorous enough...

My plan (thus far;)) with my child who needs more is to use MUS as my main math (because they love the way Dr Demme teaches) and use the corresponding chapters of AoPS to add more meat the the skeleton MUS has built. Just thought I'd mention that in case you already have MUS and/or your dc really likes it but needs/wants more.

We are doing Algebra 2 this year and Geometry next because it's what both AoPS and the author of LoF (we also use LoF) recommend so I don't have their Geometry text yet (I ordered what I need for Algebra 2). AoPS was super quick to answer my questions via email (like within 10 minutes) and I wouldn't hesitate to email them.

We are doing Algebra 2 this year and Geometry next because it's what both AoPS and the author of LoF (we also use LoF) recommend so I don't have their Geometry text yet (I ordered what I need for Algebra 2). AoPS was super quick to answer my questions via email (like within 10 minutes) and I wouldn't hesitate to email them.

I was just wondering about the order of the classes, and checked TWTM to see what it had to say. My dd is currently reviewing Algebra I, and I was thinking about moving her into Algebra II after.

Are there any reasons to NOT do the order Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry?

Rhea

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
I was just wondering about the order of the classes, and checked TWTM to see what it had to say. My dd is currently reviewing Algebra I, and I was thinking about moving her into Algebra II after.

Are there any reasons to NOT do the order Algebra I, Algebra II, Geometry?

Rhea

The only reason I can think of is if the student won't complete Geometry before taking the SAT/ACT. Here is what AoPS wrote to me when I asked about the order to take them in:

On the front page and on the schedule page, we have Geometry after Algebra 2. This is the order I recommend taking the classes, because the Intro Geometry course is a bit harder and requires more mathematical maturity than the Algebra 2 course.

We went with Teaching Textbooks Geometry because I am geometry-illiterate.

DD went to an "ACT Preparedness" class and rec'd a 32 on her practice test and got every math problem correct including the geometry ones. There were no proofs at all! Although she did understand proofs and theorems, et al by the time she was done with TT. So even though it was only a practice test, I am confident she will do just fine in Sept. {she said hopefully} :001_smile:

We use Chalkdust Geometry and plan to continue. Very thorough teaching.

Thank you MSPolly! We used Chalkdust for Algebra I and I was wondering what people thought of their Geometry.

It is my understanding that Al 1, Geo, Al 2 especially if in 9th-10th-11th is best for SAT/ACT/PSAT. I gather that Al 2 is not on those tests but Geo is.

I could be very wrong though.

Thank you, Sue. I'll check into that.

The only reason I can think of is if the student won't complete Geometry before taking the SAT/ACT. Here is what AoPS wrote to me when I asked about the order to take them in:

I'm torn. I'll probably end up going with what needs to be known on the SAT/ACT once I find out that answer...

Thank you, Cheryl!

Rhea

We do Jacob's Elementary Algebra/Jacob's Geometry/Foerster's Algebra II & Trig/Foerster's Precalculus.

Like others have mentioned, geometry was my least favorite math subject, because of the proofs. I love Jacob's because it DOES include proofs, but in a very gentle, non-frustration producing way. The logic of inductive/deductive reasoning is addressed. Rarely does the student have to do a full proof from scratch -- Either you are given the statements and have to provide the reasons, or vice versa. Or you are given the first few statements & reasons, and have to provide the last one or two. None of the proofs that the student has to do are long. Some longer proofs are worked out in the text in order to show how theories/corollaries/axioms are related/derived, etc. (a bit semantically impaired, here -- I told ya I don't like this stuff - I'm an Algebra girl.)

Addressing the issue of Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II -- I think the SAT/ACT question is just part of the issue. Yes, the student will need to understand the rules of special triangles, etc. for the PSAT, and won't need any of the Algebra II information.

But also, most Algebra II programs assume that you have some basic geometry knowledge. That you know about the Pythagorean theorem and are ready to apply it to the distance formula. That you know about 30/60/90 and 45/45/90 triangles, and other properties of triangles. That you have circumference, area and volume under your belt, etc.

One more reason -- Algebra II blends right into trig/precalc. They have a great deal of overlap, in my experience.

I know that one argument for going from Algebra I to Algebra II is so that you don't lose your algebra knowledge. This is another reason that I love Jacob's -- There is an algebra review section at the end of each chapter, covering concepts in a logical, incremental fashion.

JMHO,

Maura

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
We do Jacob's Elementary Algebra/Jacob's Geometry/Foerster's Algebra II & Trig/Foerster's Precalculus.

Like others have mentioned, geometry was my least favorite math subject, because of the proofs. I love Jacob's because it DOES include proofs, but in a very gentle, non-frustration producing way. The logic of inductive/deductive reasoning is addressed. Rarely does the student have to do a full proof from scratch -- Either you are given the statements and have to provide the reasons, or vice versa. Or you are given the first few statements & reasons, and have to provide the last one or two. None of the proofs that the student has to do are long. Some longer proofs are worked out in the text in order to show how theories/corollaries/axioms are related/derived, etc. (a bit semantically impaired, here -- I told ya I don't like this stuff - I'm an Algebra girl.)

Addressing the issue of Algebra I, Geometry, Algebra II -- I think the SAT/ACT question is just part of the issue. Yes, the student will need to understand the rules of special triangles, etc. for the PSAT, and won't need any of the Algebra II information.

But also, most Algebra II programs assume that you have some basic geometry knowledge. That you know about the Pythagorean theorem and are ready to apply it to the distance formula. That you know about 30/60/90 and 45/45/90 triangles, and other properties of triangles. That you have circumference, area and volume under your belt, etc.

One more reason -- Algebra II blends right into trig/precalc. They have a great deal of overlap, in my experience.

I know that one argument for going from Algebra I to Algebra II is so that you don't lose your algebra knowledge. This is another reason that I love Jacob's -- There is an algebra review section at the end of each chapter, covering concepts in a logical, incremental fashion.

JMHO,

Maura

Good point, some publishers may have Geometry as a prerequisite to Algebra 2 so one would want to take that into account if they have a particular publisher in mind. I know that LoF and AoPS suggest that Algebra 2 be completed before Geometry so that wouldn't be an issue with either of them. It wouldn't be an issue with MUS either because although they suggest the typical Algebra 1/Geometry/Algebra 2 schedule they also say you can do Geometry at the same time as either Algebra 1 or Algebra 2 so you don't need Geometry for their Algebra 2. Those are the only publishers I'm familiar with:)

Thank you MSPolly! We used Chalkdust for Algebra I and I was wondering what people thought of their Geometry.

Rhea

Rhea, we have used the Chalkdust courses all the way through Pre-Calculus. I will continue to re-use the courses with my other five children.

My dd feels like she TRULY understands her math. This is a kid that we ended up taking half a year off of math right before we hit Pre-Algebra due to her being completely confused and frustrated.

There was a geometry thread not too long ago....something about Thinkwell getting a Geometry program, then some piped up and recommended Holt Geometry, cowritten by Ed Burger (of Thinkwell video fame), and there are free Ed Burger videos for the Holt Geometry online. On the Holt Website, click on Homework Help, and all the videos are there http://go.hrw.com/gopages/ma/geo_07.html for each section of the book. He's a very good teacher, and a little quirky/funny. I was going to do BJU, but decided to go with Holt (my son has a weird sense of humor, and will like EB).

• 1 month later...
My plan (thus far;)) with my child who needs more is to use MUS as my main math (because they love the way Dr Demme teaches) and use the corresponding chapters of AoPS to add more meat the the skeleton MUS has built. Just thought I'd mention that in case you already have MUS and/or your dc really likes it but needs/wants more.

Just curious why you wouldn't just do the AoPS and skip the MUS? Is it missing something? Has anyone used just the AoPS for Geo?

Guest Cheryl in SoCal
Just curious why you wouldn't just do the AoPS and skip the MUS? Is it missing something? Has anyone used just the AoPS for Geo?

Because my son would revolt:lol: We LOVE the way Dr Demme teaches and also don't want to leave the DVD instruction. After looking through the AoPS books I bought I think I will change my plan a little. Instead of using both MUS and AoPS at the same time I'll have him complete MUS and then do the corresponding AoPS. That way he'll have the foundation of MUS to build on but it will extend the amount of time he's learning. That's my plan for now:D