Menu

Bravewriter

Aubrey

Stop me now or forever hold your peace. ;)

Ok, you actually have till Mon.

Today's my 11th anniversary, so I will save the joy of curric ordering for a business day. (I suggested getting the download & reading it together this eve, but dh was not impressed w/ that plan.) :lol:

I was up too late reading about writing curric last night, so this should be taken w/ a grain of salt--

dh woke up & started reading their site, reading bits aloud here & there, & it brought tears to my eyes...it sounds *wonderful.* Risky, the same way MCT sounds risky, but Right.

Now just because my sleep-deprived state leaves me emotional does not actually mean that one should spend $ based on these feelings. Thus waiting till Monday is the more prudent course of action. ;)

Gosh, I'm weird. I hope BW is equally weird. :lol:

It's really long. Trust me, you won't want to download and print it. Besides, the binder has nice tabs that are Really Useful. Trust me on this.

For Help for High School the download is fine, but not for Writers' Jungle.

Yeah, I was joking about the download. The way they upsell their Really Nice Box that it comes in, who could resist? :lol:

While you wait for that fancy binder, take some time to read about the Bravewriter lifestyle on the website. Julie Bogart developed a lot of that info after she wrote The Writer's Jungle.

That's what dh & I have been doing. I know that a curric that suggests Tuesday Tea doesn't mean we'll actually always do it, but that's one of my favorite elements of the 1st yr we hs'd & one the dc still talk about--from before we had our almost-twins, from before we sold our house & came to seminary.

Now even the littles love the taste of tea, but the bigs remember what it's meant in the past--the way the light changes at that time of afternoon, & the magic stillness that sets in & the anticipation of Story.

Dh usually puts the kids to bed, but when he works late, I sit in their beds & read them Poetry. I'm pretty sure they ask for "one more" because they don't want to sleep but now they know, for ex, that Robert Burns (of all people) is their favorite poet & that he's funny when he talks about how much he likes women. :lol:

We spent a couple of weeks cataloging over 1000 books in our house when I sprained my ankle. We talked about the Dewey decimal system & how to organize things & how complicated that can get, if you really think about it. And reorganizing books at our house is like turning over a log--instead of ants pouring out, the kids rediscover the wonderful books we've got.

I wrote my own writing prog to use this past yr & didn't love it, but my favorite elements were the observations--from nature, along w/ saved leaves & drawings of birds, from the house--toys, siblings playing, from art--their descriptions of Van Gogh were so innocent & so observant.

Any writing curric that incorporates this much of who I am & what I love probably deserves at least a try, I think. And the alternatives seem to require "discipline" as in, working through tears & making kids do things that are unpleasant/hard. I figure they get that when they wash dishes, change diapers, take out the trash. They get in trouble enough for chores & attitude w/out adding school to the list of potential areas for discipline. I've thought about it, & esp as short as my temper can be, I'd rather school be a safe, pleasant retreat, a place where we can build happy memories.

And I'm pretty confident that they'll learn to write well. I figure whatever prog I go w/, they'll learn something, & 10 yrs from now, I'll feel silly for having spent so much angst over deciding which one. :001_smile:

I think that a lot of BW philosophies and methods are a perfect fit with MCT. It is again a bit more open ended than many programs. You figure out your own schedule... sound familiar? ;)

I own Writer's Jungle (it was given to me)... I cannot get over its formatting. I need some visuals to make me happy. It sits on my shelf, and I rely on my own notes.

Aubrey, I just had to chime in and say I've been following all your recent LA threads. I feel like we should be twins in the writing department. ;) I almost bought the download of The Writer's Jungle last night (but then dh came in and stole the computer from me :glare:).

I may buy the binder on Monday, too. It looks really good...

We have BW and I LOVE it. My kids write so beautifully after using it.

J is doing HFHS at the moment and his writing really is outstanding compared to his peers at school.

I love that it's a lifestyle rather than a curriculum. I love that when we "do writing" we do it for a few weeks and then put it aside again, I don't feel compelled to do writing regularly beyond copywork and dictation.

I don't know much about Bravewriter. Every time I've investigated it, I run away in fear and confusion. I get the sense that it would be terrific for someone who is intuitive about writing. That would describe YOU.

That's SO sweet, Sue!

I hope you're right--I'm envisioning nature journals in which dd learns about writing & nature by searching for fairies.

I'm envisioning turning story & fable narrations into board games.

But sometimes? I'm too far off the map. *Maybe.* ;)

You can tell I'm shell-shocked :blink:

Bill (who doesn't know Bravewriter from Braveheart :tongue_smilie:)

The fact that it reminds him of Braveheart was one of the first selling points for dh. :lol:

He comes from a Scottish family that can trace their clan back to...I don't know, a castle or something. I wanted ds9's middle name to be William, after one of my grandfathers. Dh said no, because he wanted to have a Scottish Terrier, name it William Wallace, & teach it to play dead when he yelled, "FREEDOM!!" Dog & kid cannot have the same name.

We've to this day never owned a dog. :001_huh: :lol:

What age is a good age to start? I'll be looking for a report on how it's going. I need to build up writing stamina before doing something like this, we finally got cursive working fairly well but have not yet built up stamina to write more than a sentence a day. MCT and WWE will hold us for a while, but it looks interesting for the future...

What age is a good age to start? I'll be looking for a report on how it's going. I need to build up writing stamina before doing something like this, we finally got cursive working fairly well but have not yet built up stamina to write more than a sentence a day. MCT and WWE will hold us for a while, but it looks interesting for the future...

It says on the website that it's for app 4th g & up. That's one of the reasons we didn't go w/ WWE--although I'm sure that would be enough for ds for a yr or so, I didn't want to be looking for something else so soon if I didn't have to.