Menu

Scheduling Teaching Textbooks

AudreyTN

I'm almost sold on TT5 for my upcoming 5th grader.

How do you schedule the lessons? Do you just set a timer and when it goes off they're done? Meaning some days they could do 3-4 lessons?

Is there any benefit to buying the workbook? I've noticed that TT sells the CDs by themselves.

TIA

T does a lesson a day. At the beginning of the book, he'd sometimes do two a day, because the lessons were so easy that he just flew right through them. Now that he's doing long multiplication and long division, though, one lesson (or quiz) a day is plenty.

We've never used the workbooks.

HTH

Guest momk2000

We do one lesson per day. Dd will listen to/view the lecture on the computer, do the problems in the workbook, then enter her answers. She loves getting instant feedback. :)

We do one lesson a day. He writes the answers in the workbook and enter them on the computer. If something is very easy for ds, and he knows the topic that is introduced that day, we skip to the next lesson. Doing both the workbook and the computer version really isn't necessary, we just enjoy the computer part. Having the workbook saves him from having to copy the problems over. Sometimes, though, there's not enough room so he writes the problem on a piece of scrap paper, then writes the answers in the workbook.

Nan

We have a whiteboard in front of the computer screen, so T just watches the lectures, and then solves the problems on the whiteboard, entering them into the program as he goes. :)

That's a good idea. I was thinking of "scratch paper" but that's even better! :D

Generally one lesson a day here. HOWEVER...we floundered in math programs for awhile finally realizing that Singapore wasn't working for him. (I still like it and am going to give it a try with the next one.) We then moved to MUS but backed up some. It was much better and I had planned to continue it until I took another look at TT at the conf last year and decided to give it a try. DS was starting 6th grade. To make sure that we had backed up enough to a point of solid foundation, I bought TT5. We started it slowly in July and finished it easily before Christmas. We then did TT6 after Christmas and would be done except I slowed him down so he could do a bit of it during the summer to keep the process going. I plan to get TT7 in a couple weeks and we are going to try to move ahead in it a bit and/or add LOF. I bought the workbook both times and we never used it. Never. Ds uses scrap or a white board and then enters it on the computer. That works best for us. He would not like doing both the workbook and then entering answers and since we have gone from total frustration to peace and understanding in math and since I don't think you actually gain any more understanding by just entering the answers (or otherwise I would make him do it anyway) I am perfectly content with him just doing it on paper.

My dd does one lesson a day. She completes the problem first in the workbook then transfers it.

This is my plan for the coming year. I know my daughter well enough to know that she would start guessing at the answers instead of working them out.

...we floundered in math programs for awhile finally realizing that Singapore wasn't working for him. (I still like it and am going to give it a try with the next one.)

This is exactly why I'm looking into TT. And I was considering buying TT4 and letting her go at her own pace, then move into TT5. Thanks for sharing your experience!!

We love TT! My dd is just completing 5th grade, and has been on TT6 all year. We do one lesson per day, first in the workbook after watching/listening to the lecture, then entering and checking on the computer. It has been the best course for my dd and she is loving math and excelling at it - which I have been waiting and waiting for since we started our hs journey three years ago. (We tried Saxon and then MUS before finally finding the right fit for her with TT.)

Blessings,

Lucinda

P.S. As a side note, many students test out with TT one level higher than their actual grade in school. Be sure to take the placement tests to be sure of correct level for your child.

P.S. As a side note, many students test out with TT one level higher than their actual grade in school. Be sure to take the placement tests to be sure of correct level for your child.

Thank you for that tidbit, but I can tell from the TOC that my dd definitely needs level 5, and I think that she would benefit from doing TT4 at an accelerated pace first. (Yeah, it's that bad...)

We also do 1 lesson a day-all on the computer. We have the book but only use it to review if there is a lesson he struggles with. We've only used it 2x this year. Nice for those few occasions but I probably wouldn't miss it.

We also did 2 lessons once in a while in the beginning when it was a lot of review but generally we do one lesson a day.

We also have scratch paper for problems he has to write out but I like the idea of a white board.

He typically takes about 25-30min for a lesson.

I sometimes do review of basic math facts in addition to the lesson if I think this is getting weak.

• 1 month later...

I am also considering TT for my 9 year old son. He is really wanting me to buy it.

I have not yet decided whether I need the workbook. If he misses some problems, is there a way for me to easily go back and look at the problems that he missed without the workbook?

He has used the sample on the website, but I am not quite sure how the parental controls work.

Would anyone mind filling me in on how it works? :001_smile:

Thanks!

Angela

I am also considering TT for my 9 year old son. He is really wanting me to buy it.

I have not yet decided whether I need the workbook. If he misses some problems, is there a way for me to easily go back and look at the problems that he missed without the workbook?

He has used the sample on the website, but I am not quite sure how the parental controls work.

Would anyone mind filling me in on how it works? :001_smile:

Thanks!

Angela

Just so you know... when you first insert the CD he goes through how to work the grade book. :)

The grade book shows you what problems were missed, how many attempts were made and whether or not the solution was viewed. You can also change a grade if you need to.

You would have to go into your child's account to see the actual lesson though.

Does that help?