Menu

Need your help with scheduling and time management (EVERYTHING, not just school)

I really need help in learning to manage my time better. I have only one child, and probably no more responsibilities than the typical homeschooling mother, and yet somehow I seem to ALWAYS be behind and overwhelmed!

Okay, the amount of time I spend on these boards is obviously one area in which things could change! And I'll get right on that . . . after this thread. Promise! :lol:

Really, though, how do you do it? I swear I have only 16 wakeful hours in the day, but about 22 hours worth of things that need to be done! I'm sure many people feel this way. But I think most do a better job than I do. At my house, it's like when school gets done, practically nothing else does. That seems to take all my time and energy. But really, that's only 4 or 5 hours a day. I don't know where the rest of the time goes!

Have you found a good plan or program or word of wisdom for managing your time better?

Got an error message when I tried to submit this thread. Even the server is TOO BUSY! :D

I use a chart. It is a table, 8 columns (item + 7 days) and however many rows I need (min. 1 per hour). I copy the master chart file every week and make the changes necessary for that week. Usually I have a master time chart for semester 1, semester 2, and summer. Each week, everyone gets a copy of the charts. Since I have 4 kids, the kids' charts show their chores, and are labeled Person 1, Person 2 ... and the kids get a different person # each week, so their responsibilities differ from week to week.

If I only had one child, I would give each time increment 2 rows (one for me, one for the child), instead of making a separate chart for each person.

First, I schedule known appointments, including the time it takes to get ready to go, and drive time. If I take my child to a playground, that gets scheduled here, too, as do play dates and activities (like karate class). I get the information from my calendar and appointment book.

Second, meal prep and meal times (and snacks, if given).

Third, homeschooling, X amount of time per subject. I also schedule free time (play time) for the kids.

Fourth, I schedule personal hygiene. (In my case, we have 1 full bathroom, 6 people, and a hot water heater around which to also schedule the dishwasher and washing machine.)

Fifth, chores, including cleaning, cooking, laundry, yard work, bookkeeping & budgeting, filing, appointment-making, menu plans, grocery lists, birthday dates (to schedule card sending and gift buying), errands (grocery, drug store, library, gasoline, dry cleaner, other shopping), and so forth.

I make a chore chart before I begin, and divide the chores into daily, weekly, monthly, semi-annually. Next to each chore, I write the time it takes to complete it, to the nearest 15 minutes. I now list chores in groups (like "clean kitchen") rather than subdividing that into unloading the dw, cleaning counters, and so forth.

I have a master menu plan and a master grocery list to make it easier to plan meals and to make a current grocery list. The master menu plan is divided by meal and further subdivided by categories (protein, carbohydrates, dairy, vegetables, fruit). I divide protein by type, and list the dishes in which each type predominates. Then I mix and match all the categories when I make a dinner menu plan for the week. This ensures that we do eat a variety of fruits and vegetables, and don't eat chicken or potatoes three nights in a row. For lunches, I list the main dishes (under sandwiches, I list the filling choices), and always include milk and fruit with that. For breakfast, my list is categorized protein, carbohydrate, fruit, dairy, and I mix and match to determine daily and weekly menu plans.

If my daily schedule is overcrowded, I move things around or simply don't do them, in order to make sure I have time to spend with the kids.

The most important thing I do is prioritize what I have to do. The A-list is very important and contains things which must get done. The B-list is important. The C-list contains things which won't get done until they either disappear or hit the A or B list.

An equally important thing to do is to reasonably estimate the time it takes to do something. It is better to schedule too much time than too little.

Sometimes I shoehorn in chores. For example, math class starts at 10 a.m. I schedule putting a load of laundry in the washer at 10 a.m. It takes me a couple of minutes to do that while the kids are sharpening their pencils and getting ready to begin.

I also double meals and school: Breakfast & Bible, Lunch & Lit. This eradicates my problem of kids arguing during meals and adds to free time.

Whatever time is left over is my free time.

Edited by RoughCollie

I use a chart. ...

Thank you so much for taking the time to explain that so well! I appreciate the help. And I guess it boils down to the fact that I really do need to make a schedule, rather than just winging it. I mean, I schedule out our school very well, but I don't schedule the rest of my life, and I really think I just need to buckle down and do that. Thanks for these tips on accomplishing that!

well, I generally tell myself that I will NOT turn on the computer or television until A, B, and C are done. And then the computer time is a reward.

I do have a very bad habit of telling myself I'll just sit down to the computer for ten minutes. The problem is, half an hour or even an hour can fly by in what seems like ten minutes! I'll set aside some time in the day specifically for my computer junkie habit, and set a timer! :D

One exercise I do once a year is to take a week and track everything I do with my time for that week. I mark the time when I go to sleep and wake up, mark "10 minutes web" or "30 minutes garden" or "30 minutes meal prep", etc. At the end of the week I total it all up and see how the balance is. One thing it helps is to make me mindful of when I sit down at the computer, I know I'm going to have to be honest and mark down just how long I spent there.

Other books I'd recommend are Leo Babauta's "The Power of Less", for a good view about how to think about your time overall. I also follow the process described in David Allen's "Getting Things Done" to organize my work and home life, although reading that particular book can be overwhelming at first.

Erica in OR

Agree w/ chart idea. I use a day planner. Take time to plan (but the time I use to plan I could be doing stuff???). NO! Planning pays dividends later!

Something someone else said while I lurked here, that really spoke to my spirit, was avoiding what they called "stealing time." For instance, it's time to prepare breakfast at 6:00 am, but, I'll just watch TV for a minute first...or surf the internet...oops now it's 6:30 and everyone's hungry and I'm late...When I broke this habit, it REALLY helped...e.g. work time is for WORK. Chore time is for CHORES. School time is for SCHOOL, free time/recreation is for FREE TIME/RECREATION. Also your DD can pitch in w/ household chores (if she doesn't already).

More goofy tips...

Prepare 3-4 meals at once (e.g. bake lasagna, tater-tot casserole & a meatloaf...next 3 days of dinner - done!), do all dishes while cooking, one cleanup.

Sort dirty laundry by person...mom's basket, dad's basket, each kids' basket, linen basket, BR towels basket. Assign a day of the week to each person to avoid pileups. Sorting is easier w/ dedicated baskets. Get clothes out of dryer fast to minimize ironing.

Schedule rest time. Even my 14 year old still has "nap-time." All the kids go to their rooms after lunch for 1 hr or 1 1/2 hr "break" to read, quietly play games, sleep if desired (rare, only 5 yr old still sleeps), get away from each other (if needed) or tidy up room. Gives my hard-working wife her "break/alone time" she needs as well, to recharge for the 2nd half of the day.

Don't waste energy beating yourself up if the "wheels fly off" your day. It happens...at home, at work, on the sports field, it's part of life...just try again tomorrow.

Hoping this helps,

One exercise I do once a year is to take a week and track everything I do with my time for that week. I mark the time when I go to sleep and wake up, mark "10 minutes web" or "30 minutes garden" or "30 minutes meal prep", etc. At the end of the week I total it all up and see how the balance is. One thing it helps is to make me mindful of when I sit down at the computer, I know I'm going to have to be honest and mark down just how long I spent there.

This is a great suggestion. I'd probably be amazed at how I'm actually spending my time. Thank you, I will do this!

Other books I'd recommend are Leo Babauta's "The Power of Less", for a good view about how to think about your time overall. I also follow the process described in David Allen's "Getting Things Done" to organize my work and home life, although reading that particular book can be overwhelming at first.

Erica in OR

Thanks, I will look for these. :001_smile:

Something someone else said while I lurked here, that really spoke to my spirit, was avoiding what they called "stealing time." For instance, it's time to prepare breakfast at 6:00 am, but, I'll just watch TV for a minute first...or surf the internet...oops now it's 6:30 and everyone's hungry and I'm late...When I broke this habit, it REALLY helped...e.g. work time is for WORK. Chore time is for CHORES. School time is for SCHOOL, free time/recreation is for FREE TIME/RECREATION.

This speaks to me as well! Thank you!

Also your DD can pitch in w/ household chores (if she doesn't already).
Very little. I definitely need to work on this for her own sake as well as mine. I don't want her leaving home not knowing how to do laundry, run a vacuum cleaner, etc.!

More goofy tips...

Prepare 3-4 meals at once (e.g. bake lasagna, tater-tot casserole & a meatloaf...next 3 days of dinner - done!), do all dishes while cooking, one cleanup.

Sort dirty laundry by person...mom's basket, dad's basket, each kids' basket, linen basket, BR towels basket. Assign a day of the week to each person to avoid pileups. Sorting is easier w/ dedicated baskets. Get clothes out of dryer fast to minimize ironing.

Schedule rest time. Even my 14 year old still has "nap-time." All the kids go to their rooms after lunch for 1 hr or 1 1/2 hr "break" to read, quietly play games, sleep if desired (rare, only 5 yr old still sleeps), get away from each other (if needed) or tidy up room. Gives my hard-working wife her "break/alone time" she needs as well, to recharge for the 2nd half of the day.

Don't waste energy beating yourself up if the "wheels fly off" your day. It happens...at home, at work, on the sports field, it's part of life...just try again tomorrow.

Hoping this helps,

Yes, this helps a lot! Many great ideas here! Thank you so much. I'll admit I'm a little reluctant about cooking 3 -4 meals at once. I'm nutritionally picky, and I'm not sure how well this would work for the way we eat. But I will give it some thought. Maybe I can figure out a way to make it work for us if I put my mind to it. I'm sold on the laundry and quiet time ideas, though! :001_smile:

I bought MOTH. I read it all, which is unusual for me. I did it just the way they said. Am I following the schedule? No. Have I ever made it through one day on it? No. Not even a morning.

I think I have finally figured out, after 7 years of really trying to do any schedule, that I cannot be on a schedule. I have tried everything I can think of.

This is just one tip, but it's the single most helpful one I've ever come across. I read it in an Emily Barnes book: Train yourself to work in 15-minute increments. Figure out what can be done in that time, break big jobs down into smaller ones, and dont' waste small amounts of time, because small amounts of time are much more abundant than big chunks of time. So plan to clean that closet in numerous 15-minute chunks, rather than dedicating an afternoon to it. How often do you even have a free afternoon, and if you do, do you really want to spend it cleaning a closet?

Most of my planning is routines, rather than strict schedules. This means I always wash towels and linens on a Monday, but if it's a beautiful day outside, there's no reason I can't do it in the evening rather than the morning. I think that certain personalities thrive on schedules and others don't, and you just have to figure out where you fall.

The tip about cooking several meals at once is also an excellent one. It's much faster than cooking each meal daily because you are slashing prep and clean up time. You can also double/triple recipes and have stuff ready to go in the freezer.

Oh, here's another tip that helps me. I am on the computer a lot for work; I can't just turn it off completely until evening. So I set my email to only check when I tell it to; that way, my other computer work is not constantly interupted by the 'excitement' of seeing new messages have arrived, lol. I cannot resist reading them! That's another very minor tip that helps a lot.

I'm not exactly the most organized person in the world, but I've recently set a goal to clean one small area of my house each day. Only one. Like, one drawer. Or one shelf. And I have to do it before I get to be on the computer or anything else. Of course, it's a pscyhological trick, because once I get going on one thing, I'm off on another until I've got an entire room clean. Even if I don't do more, I finished my one thing that day.

Also, I've found that drinking a lot of water throughout the day helps me avoid that mid-afternoon slump. Otherwise, I'm worthless by about 2 pm and do nothing the rest of the day.

Do you have a diary or calendar? I have a To Do list next to my computer (divided into sections- Shopping, Phone calls, computer, Out and About, plus a section for Goals), as well as one of those huge squared calendars with lots of space to write in- I put things like meal plans on the calendar, as well as appointments, and what Flylady zone I am in. Different people need different tools- this is my current system. Do you have a good system that works for you?

I like to read those motivational books. I recently read the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and while I didnt read all of it, I gained several very useful insights from it. I really liked his approach. You don't have to run a business to get a lot from those types of books and even if you just get one thing, it can be inspiring. One thing I understood from that particular book was that we all have different roles in our life, and it is important to balance all your roles...so I set some goals for my various roles (my 4 main role areas are Self (spiritual, mental, physical social), Homeschooling, Domestic (family, financial, housekeeping etc) and my Business role (I am in 2 small businesses). By just writing all this down, and thinking up my natural goals for each area of my life, I realised I was spending a lot of time being anxious that I wasn't fulfilling my Business goals, yet I was neglecting to appreciate my other roles and how important they are too, to my overall wellbeing.

On Sundays I try and write out details for my week, and get most of the homeschooling stuff organised ahead of time (eg photocopying). I actually enjoy the time I devote to organising myself and when I get tired during the week, it's great to be able to step back or even crash, and have things carry on relatively normally.

Daily, first thing in the morning, I go to my desk and write down things I want to get done for the day- whether its some seedlings that I have neglected to plant, or phone calls, or researching my daughter's further education studies, or a shopping list- I do it first thing, often while I am having a cup of tea- sometimes before, sometimes after exercise. I have trained the kids to start their day without me, with Maths, and it gives me some time to organise myself. Then, because I have a list right there at my desk, I can refer to it and get things done in my spare time between attending to the kids' homeschooling. Whatever doesnt get done, just gets put on the list tomorrow and every day till it is no longer relevent, or actually gets done. I am actually not very disciplined, and I also have a bad memory. I wont do things if I really dont feel like it- such as meal planning, which I dont enjoy much, or paying bills- but then on another day, I will feel refreshed and ready to tackle jobs I dont enjoy so much,and it will feel very satisfying to get them done and crossed off my list.

To someone who doesnt do these things, it probably sounds tedious, but its not a prison. It helps me get things done and gives me some structure to my days. But often as not I dont do anything like evreything on my To Do list for the day- but just having it written down makes it much more likely to get done, than if its floating around in my head- even things like making a cake or downloading something onto my Ipod, I write down. I am so easily distracted- it also helps me see what is a higher priority if its written down. Not that I always do the highest priority. Sometimes I do something not so important just to get my energy up to make phonecalls I dont want to make.

Anyway...my system morphs along with me and I am always looking for ways to improve it. Once I discovered the benefits of some sort of structure to reign in my natural chaos, I keep tweaking my structure to suit my personal nuances. I cant use anyone else's system in total, but I like to borrow from them.

My answer was the Flylady. My main issue was keeping the housework under control. She has a system that breaks everything down into 15 minute routines. It's amazing. It seems like my house practically cleans itself. Of course, it helps that the kids are starting to get old enough to help. LOL!